Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Bolex anyone? take a look.  (Read 17910 times)

fredjeang

Re: Digital Bolex anyone? take a look.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:23 pm »

Put a vintage pistol grip on the GH2 if you want to look Bolex.

The problem with the C mount is that the second-hand market is in flame and good units are way too expensive for what they are. And there is no way to use the wides without the ETC,
and you know that the ETC and higher isos aren't very much friends. It's limitating but also you loose the wide angle capability because of the crop involved.

So yes, cameras like the Nikon 1 allow to take adavantage of the wide without compromising the quality in higher isos. But it's a one way system. You can't really go in higher sensor size with those lenses. You're stucked there
in a small format. So it's an optic investment that serves only one type of cameras.

If we could have instead of that, a B mount like those motorized Fujinon zooms designs it would be indeed another story.

I beleive Pana with the m4/3, wich I think it's a very good standart for video, will release at one point a 12 bits raw camera, affordable. The sensor is capable enough to put 4k on the table with max quality.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:49:35 pm by fredjeang »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 07:40:52 am »

Good question, but it amazing to note that just yesterday they launched on KickStarter, & this morning already have close to $250,000.00.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/joedp/the-digital-bolex-the-1st-affordable-digital-cinem
I wonder if I announced a new wonder digital camera and asked for $100,000 up front wether I would get it, it could beat working for a living :-)
What a scam you could work. Rebody a Red and say yes this is the prototype and this is what it is capable of, hand over the money and yours will be here in a month or two.
Not that I think this is what is happening, I believe them to be serious.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 07:58:01 am »

I wonder if I announced a new wonder digital camera and asked for $100,000 up front wether I would get it, it could beat working for a living :-)
What a scam you could work. Rebody a Red and say yes this is the prototype and this is what it is capable of, hand over the money and yours will be here in a month or two.
Not that I think this is what is happening, I believe them to be serious.

Kevin.

Indeed, and people are doing it with other people's photographs ever day!

You know, sampling, homage etc. et bloody cetera.

Rob C

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 11:51:25 am »

~ CB

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS

bcooter

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »

Rob,

Not everyone in the world of photography is starving, not everyone worries about what is clipped from the internet and not everyone wants to see Kodachrome, labs, cv's, and Triumph Spitfires come back.

For everything that went sideways in our industry, about 12 billion more opportunites appeared.

It's a new world and tomorrow it'll change, overall for the better.

Life is good if your breathing air.

IMO

BC

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »

Rob,

Not everyone in the world of photography is starving, not everyone worries about what is clipped from the internet and not everyone wants to see Kodachrome, labs, cv's, and Triumph Spitfires come back.

For everything that went sideways in our industry, about 12 billion more opportunites appeared.

It's a new world and tomorrow it'll change, overall for the better.

Life is good if your breathing air.IMO

BC

That’s an easy, flip throwaway from a place where life is indeed a good thing. It won’t fly in the cities where people starve, where they have bars on their windows and bolts along all the edges of their doors; it means precious little to the guy standing in the dole queue, little to the bum crouched on the park bench and even less to the doctor whose patient is dying because he can’t buy the drug he needs to stay alive.

Yes, there are people in the business doing well; of course there are, always were and possibly it may continue that way, but I wouldn’t bet on it, certainly not that the industry will grow. You must surely remember a time when every photographer in business had a studio?  Even little old Scotland worked like that; now, in London too it’s the exception  - how is that ever a measure of standing still? It isn’t; it’s a measure of decline, of work not being well enough paid to sustain the business. (I think you yourself say that you now work much harder for about the same reward.)

Was a time Kodak stood for pretty much everything you needed in photography; they produced great product, printed beautiful and useful brochures, booklets and leaflets on Applied Photography; there was a rep. at hand to offer you all the information or assistance that the company could give you; where are they now? Thousands of people who built their lives, homes and dreams around the photo industry are left playing solitaire. Others built the same dream around ships and cars. Their plants have been flattened and the prospects of a return to their expertise is practically zero in many if not most cases.

No, that’s not really all about competitiveness or lack of it either. What we lost in the UK and you in Detroit wasn’t simply because the home product often sucked; it was because foreign meant cheaper, despite whatever the real cost of production might have been, so Japan jumped into the breach and rode the wave while it lasted. Now, where’s Japan going? Who owns Nissan? Who owns Rolls-Royce and Bentley, for that matter… it rumbles on, and at the end of it, you come to realise that every dog does indeed have its day, but that it lasts a very short time and that that period appears to be getting shorter by the year; it's always going to be the turn of the next cheapest nation, the next cheapest product.

I’m afraid that the easy response to all of this is the charge of being a Luddite; facile, and often politically convenient way to quell any voice of concern at the devastation being wrought across humanity. But then we just pick another sucker to sack: bankers will do for the moment. They are rich, nobody loves them because of that and they are mostly personally unknown to the population at large. Their reputations now get kicked because they no longer want to place suspect loans; their own deep personal purses get locked down because they fear conspicuous consumption will get them killed. It’s all chaos; it’s all ass over elbow and it will remain that way until the time comes when the population realises that new isn’t the only way, that durability and sustainability count for more and that everything needs an extended life in order for it to thrive and grow. Madcap ‘progress’ has seldom produced anything that’s lasted.

But my cough’s killing me, so I shall retire for the evening.

;-)

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 06:13:17 pm »

This morning we shoot tethered...it didn't happen for, I don't even remember when.

I kept using the GH2 this time with one Angenieux cine zoon. Great but heavy.

The interesting thing was Lightroom. We tethered a 5D2 via Lightroom, and it's not bad at all. I didn't like it very much and prefered C1 but it goes fast.
I found the viewer quality really top.

We couldn't have this day continuous light set-up so I was always filming in higher isos.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:28:36 pm by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 05:25:36 am »

This morning we shoot tethered...it didn't happen for, I don't even remember when.

I kept using the GH2 this time with one Angenieux cine zoon. Great but heavy.

The interesting thing was Lightroom. We tethered a 5D2 via Lightroom, and it's not bad at all. I didn't like it very much and prefered C1 but it goes fast.
I found the viewer quality really top.

We couldn't have this day continuous light set-up so I was always filming in higher isos.

A video frame, shooted flat right-out-the-box.  
(I show those make-up shots because we're not allowed to show anything of the real content for the moment. Sorry about that)

Wish I was there!

Re.the song about Triumph:

Le grand Orchestre du Splendid; La salsa du demon; track: Antibes-Juan-les-pins.

My daughter no longer has the album - I can't find the track in Youtube. ;-(

Rob C

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 11:54:29 pm »

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:02:12 am by Bern Caughey »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 04:52:23 pm »

Specs have been updated.

http://www.digitalbolex.com/news/

bcooter

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 12:24:26 am »

Specs have been updated.

http://www.digitalbolex.com/news/

Bern,

I always thought the Bolex's were kinda ugly and never took them seriously.  Also they made more noise than a Hell's Angle's birthday party.

Given that I still keep my 16mm Beaulieu.  Yea, it makes a lot of noise and the viewfinder kind of looks like a viewing through the bottom of a dirty coke a cola bottle, but it's a pretty little camera.

I always thought how cool, if someone could take my Box of electronic's Sony and do a retro version that looked like that little french camera.

I mean what would it cost to license it from Beaulieu . . . 50 bucks?

They've done it with motorcycles.  Triumphs and BSA's are all over El Lay and we all know they're not the real British Triumphs and BSA's of the past because 1.  They are running  2.  You can actually get them repaired without speaking the queens english  3.  They are running.    4.  They are running.

I'm hoping someday the world of plastic electronics get's slammed into the world of analog and stuff what we buy looks like something real and kind of familiar.

That's the cool thing about the R-1.  Client's take cell phone photos of it.  Have you ever shown a layman a 5d3?  They say  . . . uh cool my sister has one.

IMO

BC

fredjeang

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 09:12:17 am »

Yeah,

The only problem with those remakes is that you'd better not known the original because what they do now is politically corrected.

I rided the Triumph bike, both original vintage and remake. The original is unstable -normal- the remake is unstable too.
But the original vibrates and as a par-engine that gives you a kick in the ass when open gaz.
The remake is too smooth, no push, no vibrations, no fun. It just has the envelope....oh yeah, it's runnin, boring like hell except maybe on a Cannes' croisette
or an L.A beach redneck avenue (you know those ones with the oiled skin guys doing body building or jogging and the striking blondes in pink bikinis with siliconed breast watching them), but yes, it's runnin.

Take those new Harley models and you'll know what I mean.

The Beaulieu was a much better acheived camera IMO than this Bolex toy.

Why instead of trying to emulate the oldies wreak don't they take advantage of digital to design things that are not pale copies of the Jurassic times?

We're not far to see very soon a wooden remake of an Eclair with a fake handle and everybody will applaude while we are still waiting for a well priced AF system that works well.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:34:11 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up