Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Bolex anyone? take a look.  (Read 17896 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Kevin.

fredjeang

Re: Digital Bolex anyone? take a look.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:10 am »

Bloody hell ! It didn't last too long to see motion contaminated too.

Is it serious? Noo

I think it's time to be serious. Come on. It reminds those Fuji rangefinder vintage digital pale copies fashion from the marketing bureaux.
In a world where they try to sell us that lions and tigers are little inofensive sweet cats, they don't know anymore what to invent to sell any sort of buzz to people,
instead of putting their bloody engineers on the drawing boards in serious.

Everything is conceptual now.

The Bolex...I have had one and still some accessories. It's crap! They would told me that they plan to make a digital Konvas 35mm, that would be something.

If you ever handled a Konvas, you'll know what I mean; that's a really serious 35mm camera, extremely well compact designed and military built.

The Bolex in comparaison was a peice of plastic s...

All that is mad.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:28:35 pm by fredjeang »

Tim Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:00 am »

Wow Fred, aren't you rushing to judgement a little quick on this?  Maybe we should give it chance.
I think it looks fantastic. Who knows, maybe it will be pretty close to what the Scarlet was supposed to be. 2K for 3500.00
 Like the Lofi look of the footage. Not crazy about the phoney, cartoon retro style. 

Tim
www.tjphoto.net

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:06 pm »

I like the look of it, ok fashion over function maybe but it appeals to my childish desire, wether or not it will ever happen and by August?  I like the motivation behind it and the thinking behind it. If it happens and actual works with an easy workflow I think it would fly off the shelf ......... and Fred I bet you would want one.

Kevin.
Kevin.

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:42:39 pm »

Hey,

a 15 € solution. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-METAL-HAND-GRIP-FITS-ANY-CAMERA-/251006979775?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3a712e8ebf

Put than on your Canons, and it will look like a Bolex. Is it vintage enough? I quite like the 50's greenish tone.

::)

No, no. Even a better idea.
Buy the Fuji rangefinder remake II. It shoots HD video and then with this 15€ handle it would just be top to go filming with elegance in the Cannes croisette. Don't forget that you also need the convertible vintage car, preferently english to be more classy. They haven't done yet the Triumph remake but be sure it will be soon available so no worries if you can't find an original.
We could glue on top a film magazin to pretend it shoots film, more stylized.

Ok, just teasing, just teasing.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:58:01 pm by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:33:03 pm »

Hey,

a 15 € solution. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-METAL-HAND-GRIP-FITS-ANY-CAMERA-/251006979775?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3a712e8ebf

Put than on your Canons, and it will look like a Bolex. Is it vintage enough? I quite like the 50's greenish tone.

::)

No, no. Even a better idea.
Buy the Fuji rangefinder remake II. It shoots HD video and then with this 15€ handle it would just be top to go filming with elegance in the Cannes croisette. Don't forget that you also need the convertible vintage car, preferently english to be more classy. They haven't done yet the Triumph remake but be sure it will be soon available so no worries if you can't find an original.
We could glue on top a film magazin to pretend it shoots film, more stylized.

Ok, just teasing, just teasing.

But who'd make it, Fred? The company has long gone in labour-relations death. Anyway, they'd probably think of remaking the TR7, the ugliest car they ever produced. Now, the TR6, which some say was a Giovanni Michelotti design but others dispute, was a lovely wee thing.

There was a French pop song of I think, the very early 80s with words something along the lines of assis dans mon Triumph, c'est l´heure de pastis, and something about Les Corniches and le jazz américain. My daughter bought it whilst on her year there from university. Maybe you can remember it, but probably before your time. As I recall, they even had a TR of sorts in La Dolce Vita... it was Marcello's wheels. Probably a TR3. I loved the Giulietta Sprint of that era.

Guess that's a whole other world of Good Olde Days! Funny how some of this old stuff costs so many times more than current exotic cars...

Rob C

Tim Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »

Haven't you heard of the Mazda Miata?  It's a copy of vintage English sports car from the 60's.
Re done so its safe, economical, and reliable . I'd rather have an aston martin 300.
 What the heck this has to do with a new 2k camera that shoots raw, i'm not sure.
Fred, that thing  you posted looks like some type of torture device from the middle ages. No thanks!

Thanks,
Tim

fredjeang

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:18:03 pm »

Hi Rob.

Be sure we will have at one point or another a Triumph remake. They did it already in motorcycles division, so as the Ducati, so as the fiat convertible etc etc... Down my home there are both parked on the street side by side (the bikes).
I don't see the new age executives missing it. 

I had a friend, a dancer, she drove the TR3. All I remember is that her car was very often at the garage for any kind of issues. Those weren't very reliable.

So there are going to make a concept motion camera, based on a vintage design, but not this serious Konvas design, because that looks too much like a tool (because it is). No. They needed something more sailable.
Oh well. Hope they do well.

fredjeang

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

Fred, that thing  you posted looks like some type of torture device from the middle ages. No thanks!

Thanks,
Tim

No Tim, it's a tool. Actually one of the best 35mm camera designed to be operated by one single man (I should say, cameraman) under the worst conditions and with maximum reliability.

I've handled one in a vintage shop and its really really impressive.
It's hugly, but it bloody works. I can guarantee that your back, harm and neck will suffer much less with this Konvas than with the Bolex despite being a heavier camera.

(actually most of those cameras are still working today and currently operated by filmakers)

But that's the very big difference between a tool and a concept-cam. Between a product built for professionals to the highest robustness standarts with just the minimum to operate perfectly, and a fancy product made to sell volume.
Same with the Hcam. It's maybe not the prettiest camera, but it's a real tool. Not another gadget. IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:01:20 pm by fredjeang »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 04:26:15 pm »

It's being developed through Kickstarter. Pony up some cash and send it in!
~ CB

Tim Jones

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »

Fred,   you  might like this babe too!

Tim Jones

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:16 pm »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 05:55:03 am »

It's being developed through Kickstarter. Pony up some cash and send it in!
You have to wonder what happens when they hit the last minute glitch which will take a lot of time and money to sort out.
You know that thing that always lurks around the corner. Will a $100k be enough to deliver the goods. Are those that put their money down making a bet or a purchase at this stage?
Also it looks like you swop low light performance for 2k raw. The lure of RAW might get a lot on board, I just wonder wether most would be better off the way things are for now.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44:04 am »

Haven't you heard of the Mazda Miata?  It's a copy of vintage English sports car from the 60's.
Re done so its safe, economical, and reliable . I'd rather have an aston martin 300.
 What the heck this has to do with a new 2k camera that shoots raw, i'm not sure.
Fred, that thing  you posted looks like some type of torture device from the middle ages. No thanks!

Thanks,
Tim

No, Tim, I hadn't, but looking it up, it seems to be another name for what's known here as the MX5. My son's wife has one, and they seem to like it, but his own wheels have switched constantly between hot Scoobies and the hot Clios; he's currently on another Clio.

Given all the funds in the world, I think I'd probably now rule out all of the exotica and settle for a Mustang with a hard roof. I don't like convertibles at all, though I did like my little Fiat X1/9 with its targa top while it lasted... it would have made the perfect car for Mallorca, even though the salt in the air would have killed it long, long ago.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:32 am »

Cars and cameras aside, something that I'd love to see replicated today, even if I'd be left gasping for breath after two bars, is this:

http://youtu.be/Rf55gHK48VQ

There was something magical about those years, and though dancing in music videos etc. has become far more sexually explicit, I'd trade all of the contemporary plastic dolls for a little more of this in my life. Been a long time...  but no, I wouldn't want the suits again. Not any suits again, ever.

Rob C 

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 11:14:46 am »

The Digital Bolex looks like a 'fun' camera, & if it comes to fruition there is a market. Super 16mm is great format for lots of work, & this camera may be a nice option for documentary, & similar needs.

I'm not sold on the low resolution B&W monitoring, & hope they add a better EVF. A professional video-out port would be nice, but I wonder if they'd be able to send a viewable image, or would it look like unprocessed RAW.

But even if it's only manufactured to the current specs I may buy in. I just looks so 'fun'.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:37:58 am by Bern Caughey »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 11:26:27 am »

Will a $100k be enough to deliver the goods.

Good question, but it amazing to note that just yesterday they launched on KickStarter, & this morning already have close to $250,000.00.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/joedp/the-digital-bolex-the-1st-affordable-digital-cinem

fredjeang

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 02:22:59 pm »

This one is cool too  http://www.ikonoskop.com/dii/a-cam-dii/

The IMS mount is cool. 12 bits, finally!!! and I.S
Honestly, this camera looks better implemented than the Rolex, sorry...the Bolex... But the eye-cup really looks like a public urinal.

(and more follow-focus, and more mattebox = more hassles)

They also have an interesting super 16 camera a little cheaper: http://www.ikonoskop.com/a-cam-sp16/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:34:14 pm by fredjeang »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 02:51:52 pm »

I love the ergonomics, & philosophy, of the Ikonoshop cameras.

If their EVFs articulated they would be even better.

BJL

Re: Digital Bolex anyone? 1" format sensor, so ...
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »

The sensor is in 1" format, close enough to 16mm and so usable with a lot of C-mount lenses. But it is also the format of the CMOS sensor in the new Nikon One series, and just a bit smaller than Panasonic's 4/3" MOS sensors. So I am guessing that this market will soon enough be served by cameras using those newer technology active pixel CMOS sensors rather than the off-the-shelf Kodak interline CCD model KAI-04050 proposed for this model. Panasonic seems the one most likely to do it, already having the AG-AF100 with C-mount adaptor available for a not much higher price ($5,000 vs an estimated $3,300 for the Bolex-D). Can we hope for a less expensive follow-up model, and maybe a raw output option added?

Or just a pistol grip for the (hacked) GH2?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up