Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom soft-proofing "make this a proof"  (Read 5420 times)

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
Lightroom soft-proofing "make this a proof"
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:07 am »

You have the option of creating a virtual copy, or making the master a proof.  Unfortunately on one image, I decided to "make this a proof".  Is there any way to undo that particular step?  I've tried stepping back through history, re-writing the meta-data at that point, then re-reading trying to get back to where I was.  When I turn on soft-proofing it reverts to making the master a proof.

Yes I know, but it wasn't completely clear (to me anyway) what was about to occur when I chose that option.  I "thought" it was making the adjusted image a proof (another virtual).
John
Flickr

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom soft-proofing "make this a proof"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:08 am »

You have the option of creating a virtual copy, or making the master a proof. 

If you select Make this a proof, you can go back using History to remove any edits you applied while viewing it as a soft proof. But if you are saying that now you want to go with the other option (have it ask you again so you can make a VC), no deal. That is as designed (not sure why). Just make a VC as you did in the past and apply a soft proof and move forward.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:55:06 am »

If you select Make this a proof, you can go back using History to remove any edits you applied while viewing it as a soft proof. But if you are saying that now you want to go with the other option (have it ask you again so you can make a VC), no deal. That is as designed (not sure why). Just make a VC as you did in the past and apply a soft proof and move forward.

Thanks, I had a feeling that was the situation I now have. Strange that they didn't give you the option of reversing that decision.  Not the end of the world, just one image.  I would suspect though that people will do it by mistake several times.
John
Flickr

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:14:06 pm »

In the develop module, if you right click the image and go to "settings" and un-check "proof", doesn't that do what you want?

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:36:27 pm »

David, 

Hard for me to check that out thoroughly here at the office, but it certainly appears to have done the trick.  Thank you for the information.

John
John
Flickr

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »

In the develop module, if you right click the image and go to "settings" and un-check "proof", doesn't that do what you want?

The problem as I see is this. You are given one opportunity to pick the two options but only once. You can undo that but you are not asked again, upon setting a soft proof then adjusting a slider whether you will get a Proof Copy or work on this master. I think that is odd but when I asked Adobe, I was told it was designed that way.

So there is an undo position. Say you pick Make This a Proof and then adjust the image. You can undo that edit. But you want a Proof Copy. You will not be asked again, you have to make a VC and move ahead.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:04:31 pm »

The problem as I see is this. You are given one opportunity to pick the two options but only once. You can undo that but you are not asked again, upon setting a soft proof then adjusting a slider whether you will get a Proof Copy or work on this master. I think that is odd but when I asked Adobe, I was told it was designed that way.

So there is an undo position. Say you pick Make This a Proof and then adjust the image. You can undo that edit. But you want a Proof Copy. You will not be asked again, you have to make a VC and move ahead.

It is certainly a work-flow logic flaw in my opinion, but not a huge one.  I'm not quite sure in what circumstance I would actually want to make the master the proof.  I can see doing it perhaps, but for me I like the keep the master as "clean" as possible.
John
Flickr

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:18:30 pm »

It is certainly a work-flow logic flaw in my opinion, but not a huge one.  I'm not quite sure in what circumstance I would actually want to make the master the proof.  I can see doing it perhaps, but for me I like the keep the master as "clean" as possible.

There's another way to approach this and that's by using snapshots. Using snapshots allows you to keep the various settings all in the same image and not spawn off a VC. You can name the snapshot for the proof profile and name the snapshot before making the proof as the master. It's not as automatic as popping a new VC...but give you a bit more control.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:35:07 pm »

There's another way to approach this and that's by using snapshots. Using snapshots allows you to keep the various settings all in the same image and not spawn off a VC. You can name the snapshot for the proof profile and name the snapshot before making the proof as the master. It's not as automatic as popping a new VC...but give you a bit more control.

Yes, I've been considering the same approach, but I wonder if you lose the ability to do smart collections on those.  You can easily have a snapshot for each paper, size, or whatever.  I'm not sure how you know you do unless you go look at the snapshots however.  I suppose you could drop them in a collection as you print them that designates whatever you're wanting to track.
John
Flickr

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 05:37:06 pm »

Yes, I've been considering the same approach, but I wonder if you lose the ability to do smart collections on those. 

It is really nice to be able to filter these via Smart Collection, I agree.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:05:29 pm »

It is really nice to be able to filter these via Smart Collection, I agree.

In my opinion, if you don't have some way to organize the proofs.. you are going to be dealing with a very big headache trying to keep track of them.  Granted you can go looking through stacks, or search by copy name.. but that's more work than I'd like to have to put in it.  Smart collections are a way to do that.
John
Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up