Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D7000 Day Two...One Question...  (Read 1422 times)

Edalongthepacific

Nikon D7000 Day Two...One Question...
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:38 pm »

Today I printed a 40% cropped image from my new Nikon D7000 on an Epson 3800 using luster paper (A3 or 16.5 x 11.7). The print was perfect even though cropped to 40%. This camera is accurate, light and strong. Long live DX!

One question, is there any need for a $6000 camera if you don't intend to photograph sprinting cheetahs, in low light, during a thunderstorm?

See my target print attached. A beauty with lots of curves.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Nikon D7000 Day Two...One Question...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:11 am »

If you don't see a need it must mean there isn't one - for you. You likely are likely just above in the middle of the mainstream bell curve for DSLR users. Most consumers don't need or want or would really know what to do with the capabilities of a D7000 - hence the popularity of a wildly successful camera gear blogger.

ChuckT

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:22 am »

In my humble (but deadly-accurate) opinion

There no such thing as too much $ or too  many pixels!

cvt

mac_paolo

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:48:34 am »

Today I printed a 40% cropped image from my new Nikon D7000 on an Epson 3800 using luster paper (A3 or 16.5 x 11.7). The print was perfect even though cropped to 40%. This camera is accurate, light and strong. Long live DX!

One question, is there any need for a $6000 camera if you don't intend to photograph sprinting cheetahs, in low light, during a thunderstorm?

See my target print attached. A beauty with lots of curves.
It's more or less the same arguments I heard when a D5000 owner said it was better in quality than my D300, which shares the same sensor but a slightly better performance (D5000 came after).
If you shoot in manual mode, close in a studio with constant light schemes, with newer optics and no AF troubles, with everything under control... yes, sometimes the cheaper is better than or equal to the more expensive model. I call this "sensor benchmark", more than standard photography.
I shoot the most in variable conditions that need some better refinements, that's it.
The D7000 is an -amazing- camera, more or less a cropped version of the D800 (the latter should have been marketed months ago), but still an amateur model for a lot of reasons.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »

the D800... should have been marketed months ago
There were a few problems last year that Nikon had to contend with before they could get into mass production of the D800
- The tsunami of March 11 and the Fukushima nuclear plant diaster which followed.
- The extreme flooding in Thailand which wiped out Nikon's plant there.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:20:00 pm by Ellis Vener »

mac_paolo

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »

tehre were a few problems last year that Nikon had to contend with before they could get into mass production of the D800
- The tsunami of March 11 and the Fukushima nuclear plant diaster which followed.
- The extreme flooding in Thailand which wiped out Nikon's plant there.
That's what I was talking about.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up