Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a bit of Macro  (Read 1656 times)

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
a bit of Macro
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:57 pm »

While shooting last weekend i saw this young tree emerging from the ice and snow. It seems ages since ive used my macro lens so i whipped it out and shot this one i call "Victory" I know theres alot of these out there but id never shot one so heres mine! Canon 5DmkII, Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro @ f22 1second.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

stpf8

• Stephen Penland Photography
Re: a bit of Macro
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:08 am »

AJ, this is quite nice.  I suspect the dark color of the needles has absorbed enough heat from the sun that it has caused the ice/snow to melt in that small spot.  There will also be a bit of metabolic heat to add to that as well.  I wonder if you could increase the sharpness in the ice at the top and in the needles in back without increasing the DOF.  I've never used the technique, but I would think that focus stacking might be a good approach here, getting all of the key elements in focus without losing the OOF background.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:34 am »

Thank you and its funny you mention focus stacking as i was just considering that approach. Ive never used that method either but ive been looking at a couple of the programs assocaited with it. I may have to pull the trigger and give it a try. Good luck finding this composition again!
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:34:36 am »

I get frustrated trying to capture these sort of things because it is difficult to get good context in a macro shot. I 'd like to see the forest or mountains or riverbank that make up the environment and the bigger story.
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up