Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 error code 08:11 - several questions  (Read 9376 times)

gstar2002

• G-FOTO (in german)
Z3100 error code 08:11 - several questions
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

I'm new to this forum and will start with a problem  :-[

I'm owner of a Z3100 (Q5669A) which I bought already used here in France. For 1
year I had no problem with it but now I was stroked by the famous error code 08:11.

I read already some posts here and tried already different things:
- changed the backup battery
- put in and out again the formatter
- changed the PSU

but no joy.

Things that I noticed:
- The HDD (WD40 Scorpio 40GB) seems to be ok. It starts and you can see the LED flackering unregular.
- The bar on the top display stays at 0%
- the fan of the PSU is NOT running at all
- the red LED on the mainboard is on
- sometimes there was a beep at start - but most of the restarts not

What I would like to know is:
1)
if you start your Z3100 on the backside, does the fan of the PSU/Mainboard start
immidiately? I do not remember that.

2)
If the mainboard (not the formatter!) is broken, can you see anything on the
front display?

3)
Can you exchange the formatter by any other formatter of the Z31x/21x-series?

4)
Do I still need a HP technician to initialse the new formatter?

5)
has anyone tried to connect the HDD to a normal PC/notebook?

6)
Any other known sources for the fail 08:11?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Greetings from Paris
Guido

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Z3100 error code 08:11 - several questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:19 pm »

> 6)
> Any other known sources for the fail 08:11?

In the last few days I replaced the infamous failing belt on my Z3100. And as a result of that had an opportunity to download and read through the z3100 service manual. They have a section devoted to describing most error messages. Accordingly an 08:XX error code is about the front panel.

Here's the quoted text in the manual

System Error: 08:YZ
Problem
Description:
Problem with the Front Panel.
Corrective Action: Try the following:
 Switch the Power OFF from the back of the Printer and disconnect the
Power cord. Reconnect the power cord and power On the Printer.
 Check that the Front Panel interface cable is not damaged and is
correctly connected between the Main PCA and the Front Panel.
 Check that the memory module in the Formatter is installed correctly.
 Check that the connections between the Formatter, the Formatter and the
Formatter are not damaged and are correctly connected.
 Check that the Printer has the latest Firmware version. If not, update the
Firmware to the latest version.
 If the System Error continues, replace the Main PCA ⇒ Page 8-151.
 If the System Error continues, replace the Formatter ⇒ Page 8-147.
 If the System Error continues, replace the Front Panel ⇒ Page 8-45.

If you don’t already have one, poke around and find a service manual which is available on line – I don’t remember where I found the one I downloaded but can send it to you if you send me your email address.

gstar2002

• G-FOTO (in german)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:50:27 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

I have the service manual already (from the Z3100 wiki) and I checked everything HP said in the manual.

David Budd

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:23 am »

Guldo

I got a similar error message after powering off my z3100 for three weeks when I went on holiday.

On start up I got Error :08:11 and it took six power on/off's over a 2hour period - the last was a rapid on /off which did the trick
using the rear power switch.

It seems to be a common fault with the z3100...anyway worth a try

David

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:54 am »

> I have the service manual already (from the Z3100 wiki) and I checked everything HP said in the manual.

Thanks, I didn’t know about the site.

If you’ve gone through all the connectors in the designated subsystems and have double checked that the connectors have been cleaned with alcohol and properly seated, what you would really benefit from is someone nearby that has a z3100 that they’d be willing to swap parts.

Failing that opportunity, check the local printer/copier repair vendors for a group that supports HP. You can also call HP and ask for a recommended local vendor. I’m sure there are several in and around Paris.

Once you find a couple of nearby vendors, call and ask if they have a tech who has worked on the Z2100/Z3100/Z3100ps series. Offer to pay for the tech’s time for a phone consult. Typically around here they don’t charge, but it’s always a good practice to pay or at least offer to pay for professional time. Then ask your questions.

If worse comes to worse, I found that it’s possible (in the US) to get a warranty for the Z3100, even if it is no longer covered by original warranty. It isn’t inexpensive but probably a lot less expensive than replacing the electronics of the Z3100 a piece at a time. If you go the warranty route, HP states that the warranty will not apply for 30 days after you purchase it. However, after that a phone call will bring a tech and enough parts to put the problem behind you….

Some of the questions in your first post would require someone with a lot of experience with broken Z3100s.

> 2)
> If the mainboard (not the formatter!) is broken, can you see anything on
> the front display?

You’d need a tech to answer this accurately. You could also just disconnect the cables going to the mainboard and see if that makes any difference.

> 3)
> Can you exchange the formatter by any other formatter of the > Z31x/21x-series?

The service manual shows only 1 valid part number for the Z3100 which is "Q5669-67010” They show 2 other formatters, but each is for a different model.

> 4) Do I still need a HP technician to initialse the new formatter?

I have replaced a similar component in a DJ 130 and it did not require a tech but did require someone who knows about setting up network connections.

> 5)
> has anyone tried to connect the HDD to a normal PC/notebook?

Typically you can add a compatible drive as a 2nd or later drive on a PC computer provided the computer has the correct interface, but the computer may or may not be able to access it. This would depend on how the drive is formatted for it’s native use.

In addition, Windows likes to put a signature on drives and this may not be a good thing for the target drive. Connect the drive and power up the computer but don’t let Windows put a signature on the drive.

gstar2002

• G-FOTO (in german)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:18:42 pm »

I tried the whole weekend to restart, reconnect, restart, restart and restart.
But no joy.

Hopefully today I will get a used HDD with the same specs from WD.
I will try to replace the old WD HDD by this and see what will happen.
Any idea what format the original HDD has? I read somewhere that it is a Unix device

@Justan
Regarding HP Service - the printer is only in private use. So I'm not going to pay hundreds of Euros per year for maintenance.
I will try to fix it on low cost - if not I will buy another used printer and sell the parts of my Z3100.

viswan

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:51 pm »

i have exactly the same problem on my z3100.  I had a local service tech out to look at it, and the consensus is that you will need to replace the formatter board. Even thought it is probably just the HD that is dead on the board, they are formatted specially by HP, and just replacing the HD will not work. This is unfortunate as the HD is commonly available, and is cheap. the whole board will run you $700 - $1200.  It is a way to gouge us by HP.....
Many of my photos are on Facebook and Fl

gstar2002

• G-FOTO (in german)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:15:47 pm »

Year Viswan
I think you are right.
Thats the HP charges us again.

I tried to connect the old HDD to a PC - but no joy. I do not know if it is defective or if Windows XP does not recognize the partition. So no chance to copy.

It seems to be that I have to organize a new formatter. I do not know if I will try to copy from the new HDD/Formatter.

raydee

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:50 am »

Even though the spare HDD might have the same physical characteristics, if the printer checks for a HP-specific (OEM) firmware variant you might still be out of luck.
If that isn't the case, you might be able to do a mirror / 1:1 sector copy from a working hdd (salvaged from another printer) with a tool like HDClone , as long as the PC bios recognizes the HDD on boot up. Those tools don't rely on the OS to recognize the partition type, and come as an iso which is burned on a CD-R as a bootable CD.
Depending on the level the manufacturer has gone to prohibit self repairs, the printer might also compare it's serial number to the data on the HDD, and still reject the HDD cloned from another printer.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:04:01 pm »

i have exactly the same problem on my z3100.  I had a local service tech out to look at it, and the consensus is that you will need to replace the formatter board. Even thought it is probably just the HD that is dead on the board, they are formatted specially by HP, and just replacing the HD will not work. This is unfortunate as the HD is commonly available, and is cheap. the whole board will run you $700 - $1200.  It is a way to gouge us by HP.....

Drives have a fairly predictable service life of about 4 years. It’s been that way since the advent of the IDE drive. Doesn't mean that they *all* go at that time, but a lot do.

Not ironically, it’s about the same service life of the infamous belt HP puts on these printers.

It adds up to an implied need to repair or replace after about 4 years.…which tends to encourage a slightly different gouging solution by way of their extended warranty….

gstar2002

• G-FOTO (in german)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:24:51 pm »

Yesterday bought a used formatter - was only 190 ,- EUR.
I hope it will arrive without damage and it will help to reanimate my Z3100.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 11:04:14 am »

Where did you find the formatter? Some people wanna know where used parts can be found…

gstar2002

• G-FOTO (in german)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:48:41 am »

Where did you find the formatter? Some people wanna know where used parts can be found…

I bought it from a private person.

Today I was able to run the machine again :-)
The new formatter works BUT now I have an error code 79:04 ... this printer is going to make me sick...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:11:02 pm by gstar2002 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up