Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I import from 3 to 4 and maintain the same look  (Read 2172 times)

jljonathan

How do I import from 3 to 4 and maintain the same look
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:07:25 pm »

I have tried numerous times to import from ver3 into ver4 and each time, no matter what I try, I end up with a different look (brightness, contrast etc.) The last time I tried, I reset both 3 and 4 to adobe defaults, then imported 3 to 4 checking none for presets and did not upgrade to image (left the exclamation mark), and the image in 4 looks substantially different that the one in 3. Also, all the sliders are readjusted with this "none" import. They are not at default, which would be zeroed, but all at different settings than the ones in 3. 4's image has less contrast and the color set in the hsl in 3 has been substantially lightened. What am I doing wrong? I read that others can get them into 4 (not upgrading, leaving the exclamation mark) and they are virtually the same rendering.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: How do I import from 3 to 4 and maintain the same look
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:13:37 am »

Why are you importing instead of just upgrading your old catalog? If you import, unless you saved as DNG or have a sidecar file beside the RAW, you're going to get a different set of processing settings from the previous version.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

jljonathan

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:51:16 am »

They are DNG files. I'm importing so as to test one or two images without upgrading the entire catalog. Upgrading the whole catalog would create too much work to re-correct the mismatches from 2010 to 2012.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:59:22 am »

Upgrading the catalog doesn't change the process version or edits on your images. I upgraded all my catalogs this morning and the images are unchanged.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

GregK8

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:36:55 am »

Upgrading the catalog makes a copy of the LR3 catalog and leaves the original untouched, allowing you to go back if you have to, but even if you upgrade nothing will change.  The process version is left the same and all adjustments should remain untouched.  Your images should look exactly the same in LR4 as they do in LR3 unless you make a change to them.

If you're really paranoid, make a backup copy of your catalog before you upgrade.  Then if something goes wrong you can drop it back into place for LR3.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:04 am »

Hi,

why do you upgrqade the PV to 2012, when you are satisfied with your Lr 3 / PV 2010 results.

The reason PV 2010 is still available is that you will not have to readjust all of your images.

Simply, try to export a few images as a catalog, then import / convert the catalog to Lr 4 (nbot the PV of the images) and you should be done. TZhe images should look the same than in Lr 3 !

If you feel the image could be look better with PV 2012, create a snapshot of everything you have done with PV 2010 and then switch the PV to 2012.

But, I would strongly recommend to buy the advanced guide to Lr 4 here on Lula, becasue exacltly this question ( next to many others) is discussed in depth !
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

jljonathan

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:15:02 pm »

But the images that I import into 4 without upgrading DON'T look the same as the one in 3. There is a definite difference. Please reread the original question. Why? Anyone?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:16:49 pm by jljonathan »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:23 pm »

But the images that I import into 4 without upgrading DON'T look the same as the one in 3. There is a definite difference. Please reread the original question. Why? Anyone?
we have read your original question ... your result is because you are importing your LR 3 catalog into LR 4.

As has been pointed out, upgrading the catalog will leave everything as is, with all images set to process 2010.  you will have to expllicity change any images to process 2012 if you want to, and because of the differences you should probably do so only on a case by case basis except any images that have had no adjustments made in LR 3.

Just try that .... as has been mentioned, when you upgrade your catalog, LR 4 does makes a copy of your LR 3 catalog and creates a new catalog.  If you don't like what it does, you can throw the LR 4 catalog away and start again with your LR 3 catalog.

jljonathan

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:00:06 am »

Thank you again for the very complete explanation of upgrading. I was aware of the process involved.  I was just making the point that when importing into 4 from 3, even thought 3 is left as it was before, the new import into 4 in visibly changed from what it appeared as in 3, even before clicking on the exclamation point to make the process change to 2012. In ver. 4, 2010 process does not appear exactly as it did in ver. 3.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 01:16:06 am »

...even thought 3 is left as it was before, the new import into 4 in visibly changed from what it appeared as in 3, even before clicking on the exclamation point to make the process change to 2012.

Do you have extensive use of point curves? There is currently an issue with the GM release of LR4 where point curve edits done in LR3 are "misplaced" (they are not really lost but are not correctly imported).

However if you've not used a lot of point curves, no, LR3 settings should look the same in the LR4 catalog as long as you don't update the PV.

jljonathan

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »

No Jeff, as I mentioned above, I purposely reset images in LR3 to adobe defaults, including tone curve. The only time that the ver.4 image matches the ver. 3 image, is when there are no additional slider adjustments made to the ver.3 image. Both are at default, AND the ver.4 image has been updated to 2012 process by clicking on the RESET button. Without the reset in 4, they have a very different look and slider settings. Once reset in ver.4 the images just about match (ver.4 in slightly lighter) and of course 4's sliders are centered and tone is linear. This is the only way that they will match. If I bring in from 3 any other way (leaving the exclamation point, no process upgrade) they look very far apart and the sliders are completing different.
I may not be expressing this correctly because the answers don't seem to be directed at my question. If I leave images in PV2010 once they are in LR4, they DO NOT resemble the original images in LR3; a substantial change has occured. They just look very different. Are you suggesting that I continue using LR3 for all those images prior to installing LR4? Because this would be the only way to maintain the way they look with their adjustments. Again, once they are brought into LR4, even with no PV upgrade to 2012, they have been obviously changed, and not for the better. Only, when both LR3 with 2010 and LR4 with 2012 are each at it's own adobe defaults, now when brought into LR4, AND upgraded to 2012 PV does the image in LR4 resemble the one in LR3.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:09:01 pm by jljonathan »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »

I may not be expressing this correctly because the answers don't seem to be directed at my question. If I leave images in PV2010 once they are in LR4, they DO NOT resemble the original images in LR3; a substantial change has occured. They just look very different.

I've got LR3 running and LR4 running (something you can do on Mac but not Widows, sorry). With the same image open in LR3 at Adobe Default PV 2010, the same image in LR4 at the PV 2010 Default look identical. Zero differences...if you are seeing a difference with the same PV in LR3 and LR4, something else is going on.

LR4 on the left, LR3 on the right.

jljonathan

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:53 pm »

Nice shot, very professorial.
Based on the replies, while doing some more testing, I think I hit on something that  has solved this specific problem, and also uncovered another. It's seems to be the difference between importing individual images from 3 to 4, and exporting and then importing a catalog from 3 to 4. Now, if I export a test "catalog" , not an image (No custom tone curves), from 3 and then import the catalog into 4, I get an exact match of image and slider settings.

The one peculiararity concerns the default of the tone curve. If the image in 3 has a medium contrast tone curve, it appears in 4 with the same medium tone curve (the image has not yet been upgraded to PV2012 so the exclamation point is still there). But, if the original 3 image had a linear tone curve (not custom, Linear), it appears in 4 with a medium contrast tone curve which must be manually set to linear to make a perfect match. Is this strange behavior, or does someone have an answer why this should happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up