Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using existing (non-GPS) location metadata in Map module  (Read 1791 times)

robest

Using existing (non-GPS) location metadata in Map module
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:10:29 am »

Hi,

Had a quick play / search around and couldn't find anything, but perhaps I'm missing something... is there any way to get Lightroom to use existing IPTC location (non-GPS) metadata in the Maps module? I've tagged a lot of my photos with City / Country / Country Code and I was hoping that Lightroom would display this in the maps module...

I guess I could manually sort by location and then geocode them by hand but I have hundreds of locations so that is going to take a while.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Rob

robest

Re: Using existing (non-GPS) location metadata in Map module
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:20:57 am »

This program (http://www.geoiptc.com/EN/Index.html) would seem to do almost exactly what I need, but according to the website it only works on jpgs and tiffs whereas I need it to update my dng's (and I'd rather this was done in LR to be honest anyway). It also is only Windows...

But you get the idea, anyway.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Using existing (non-GPS) location metadata in Map module
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:05:10 pm »

Rob: I haven't looked into this yet but when I upgraded my catalog to LR4 it asked me if I wanted to allow reverse geocoding for images without GPS coordinates.  One can turn this on/off in the Catalog Settings/ Metadata tab.  I don't know how accurate the information needs to be or how to work with it, but it seems LR4 has some facility for this.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up