Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How are people finding the new lossy DNG compression?  (Read 1774 times)

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
How are people finding the new lossy DNG compression?
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:55:12 pm »

I'll save everyone the trouble: "Dear lord, you idiot, why would you use lossy compression on your original negatives? Just go buy a bigger hard drive, you stupid dork!" If that was your comment, I've saved you the hassle of typing and you can just move along to another thread :)

For everyone else, how are you finding the new lossy compression support in DNG? Are you finding the file size savings worth any theoretical loss in image quality? I've played around a bit and the file size savings are impressive (24.1MB to 7.27MB for a 5D Mk II image shot at ISO 400). I certainly wouldn't use this for the images I pretend are the most wonderous works of art ever captured with my camera, but for the editorial sports photography work that only ever gets used for the web it seems like a very nice new feature.

Anyone noticed cases where there's compression artifacts? Anything you've noticed that isn't quite right?

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up