Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using H4x?  (Read 5531 times)

deanbradshaw

Anyone using H4x?
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while. Interested in the H4x system and how people are finding it. Tried out a 645DF on a job on wednesday and not too pleased with the focus accuracy.

Looking to use the H4x with a phase back. Really interested in true focus and the general feel of the H4x body...Any experiences? Anyone moved to the H4x from 645Df or H1?

Not much online about it...any insights would be much appreciated...

Cheers,

Dean

www.deanbradshaw.com.au

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Anyone using H4x?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:26 pm »

Honestly, from what I have read it is not that much different from the H4D, it seems like the major difference is that it is open so that you can have Phase and Leaf backs on it. There may be technical differences but I don't think that they significant, but I haven't researched it that much. True focus lets you look on focus for recomposing and some slight movement I believe, not really that helpful. I use the 645DF and the AFD before that and have never had any focus issues. However the deal breaker for my was ergonomics. I don't know if you have used an H series camera, but I found it to be ergonomically uncomfortable FOR ME. This will depend on the individual. That was a con for me, but a major pro is the lenses in terms of built quality and optical performance, they are absolutely wonderful, may favorites were the 35mm, 100mm 2.2, 120 f/4, 300mm and 35-90mm. You can read some more of my thoughts on the H and 645DF cameras on my website http://www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

JV

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:39 pm »

The main difference for me compared to the H2 is the faster and more accurate auto focus.

I haven't gotten into the habit yet of using True Focus.  It works though.  50% seems to rave about it, the other 50% does not use it.

I shoot with a P30+ and that has worked fine up till now.  I would be very reluctant to go to a H4X with more recent backs like the IQ series.  From what I have read there seem to be quite a few issues and the fact that Hasselblad and Phase One don't really talk much probably does not help to resolve them.  If you do not own a H1/H2 yet I would personally either go entirely Hasselblad or entirely Phase One.  That being said, if you would like to have the ability to still shoot film then obviously a camera like the H4X deserves your consideration. 

DeeJay

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:38:56 am »

Even with P65 and a H2 I've found they don't get on that well. Just something with either the camera, the back or the software that doesn't like the conversation between the two has a hissy fit a and freezes up. Of corse Phase say it's Blad and Blad say it Phase.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:33:19 am »

I haven't gotten into the habit yet of using True Focus.  It works though.  50% seems to rave about it, the other 50% does not use it.

This is what it seems like to me too. I have used an H4D once for a week, and never used the feature, or really had any reason too. Also I used an H2 with a P65+ for two weeks, and never experienced any problems with it, except a few times the lens wouldn't communicate with the body, but that seems like it was more of an issue with the lens then anything else.

henrikfoto

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »

I have used the H4x with a P45+ for a few days now.
It works perfect. The main reason to upgrade from H2 for me was the
true focus. It is not just a hype, but a fantastic help in almost all shots.
Most easy to notice in portraits of course.

Henrik

JV

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:37:18 pm »

Henrik,

How do you quantify that?  I fully agree with you that it works but at the same time it seems to be solving a problem that I didn't really have.  If I don't nail the focus correctly it is usually because I pressed the shutter too quickly or because of accidentally changing the shutter speed, rarely because of recomposing.  I don't see True Focus giving me any more keepers at the end of the day even though it might be a help.

Thanks, Joris.

Eurotographer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »

According to the folks at Hasselblad, you will only really see the benefits of True Focus if you are using a wide angle up close, using a longer lens and getting further away negates the benefits.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:58 pm »

That sounds about right, when they tried to explain True Focus to me at ShootNYC a few years ago when it came out, It was hard to see the benefits, I believe we were using either a 150mm or 210mm lens.

Eurotographer

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »

With a 150 or 210 lens I'm afraid you'll never see a difference.  Also, if not using a DB that has been perfectly alligned to match the body the effects will be nearly impossible to see.

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:58 am »

According to the folks at Hasselblad, you will only really see the benefits of True Focus if you are using a wide angle up close, using a longer lens and getting further away negates the benefits.

True Focus has worked very well for me (H4D) working close with an HC 100 2.2, especially at or near wide open.  Generally speaking, I would expect the need for True Focus to diminish as depth of focus increases through lens focal length, distance and aperature.
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

henrikfoto

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 07:38:23 pm »

I shot a model today with the H4x and Phase.
I was close 1-3 meters. I used a 80mm and a 210mm.
F4-5.6

I would say with the True focus I hit the perfect focus 70-80 percent of the shots.
Without it less than 40%. This tecnology works very very well.
Even more so the longer the lens is because the absolute correct focus is more DOF
is very narrow.

The AF speed also seems better with the H4x compared to my old H2.

Henrik

jdear

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:37 am »

Interesting you bring this up. I jumped on board the phaseone puppy program this past week which allowed me to take home a phase one iq160, 645DF and some lenses. (Courtesy of l&p in Sydney and the phaseone world tour)

The autofocus of the phaseone645 body completely shitted me. It seems to skip around and not consistently hit focus. The whole focus middle point ( centrepoint with a slight bias to the left and right that accompany it) is too big.

In my frustration I gave up using autofocus and manually focused. This also wasn't easy at times at apertures f4 and faster on longer lenses like the 110mm LS I had. (I wish it had a decent split prism focus glass or the like)
The body let the whole experience down for me. The files when in focus were stunning. But too many oof shots for my.liking. I guess that's why there's a lot of p1 users use technical cameras, and it seems portrait and fashion shoots IMHO tend to favour hassy.

Next time I take out an iq again, going to try and get a h4x alongside it. Certainly the truefocus sounds good.

There does seem to be some disadvantages to the hassy, namely a maximum shutterspeed at 1/800 (same as its top xsync) from what I've read.

Phaseone please bring out a better body so I can take you more seriously.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:52:28 am by jdear »
Pages: [1]   Go Up