Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Major Problem Opening a Catalog in LR4  (Read 4796 times)

pflower

Major Problem Opening a Catalog in LR4
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:17:15 am »

I haven't seen anyone else with the same problem so don't know what might be wrong here.

Running a 27inch iMac 2.8ghz i7 with OSX 10.6.8.  The system seems perfectly stable and I have had no problems with any other software.  But there is a problem with LR4.

I duplicated my LR3 catalog, opened it in LR4 and upgraded.  Everything appears to work perfectly normally and is stable.  I left the catalog open for day or so and could work on it without any problems.  But the problem arises when I close LR4 and restart.  The catalog opens perfectly happily but I am immediately confronted with the import dialog - i.e. a message in the centre of a blank screen saying "click import button to begin...".  There is no memory card attached to the computer and in any event I have disabled the option to show the import dialog when a memory card is detected. 

All the photographs are listed as being in the catalog under "All Photographs" but if I click on the "All Photographs" button I get the import dialog and no photographs load.  I can click on any collection or on any folder and the photographs within the collection/folder load perfectly normally.  BUT if I click on the main folder containing all the sub-folders with my photographs then, even though LR4 says that there are 25,000 photos in the main folder I get an error message saying that there are no photos in the folder.  The Show Photos in subfolders option is active.

So whilst I can work on the photos in any sub-folder or collection I am unable to access all the photos.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

pflower

Re: Major Problem Opening a Catalog in LR4
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:30 am »

Well I was wrong about no one else having this problem.  The Adobe LR4 forum has a long discussion about it. 

A solution that seems to work is to create a new (empty) catalog and then import from catalog the old LR3 catalog rather than simply opening the old catalog in LR4 (which is what I did).  At the end of the import and upgrade you get an error message, but it does seem (so far) to work.

Doesn't, however, inspire total confidence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up