Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipad, & tablets real use as photographer question  (Read 10272 times)

julienlanoo

Ipad, & tablets real use as photographer question
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:52:25 am »

Hi i was reading up with the tablet articles on the mainpage,
Now tough interesting when searching for a good roundup of different pads, i didnt find any awnsers...

Simpel question are there any " good " professional apps/ workflows to realy use it as a substitute for a computer on location...

I use phase one, and yes i use an ipad when shooting in studio, mounted to my cambo studio tripod,
But you still need a computer, and its more as a toy so i can stay with my setting when i change something...

The other argument on this is that a make up artist or client can comfortably follow the shoot, but frankly i prefere to lock them out of my studio, as they can t help them self feeling important and messing up the shoot, thus shooting on cf-card as photos isnt their job...

All this, for me is exeptions, i am more of a traveler... Traveling with a Macbook air, that has all the weight advantages of a tablet plus the functionality of a computer...

I know a tablet weighs less, but can i trust it with a shoot that a client pays 10G s for?
I believe in its potential but are they making it true?

File handeling of Phasone files ? Backup? Clumbsyness and reliability of the addons? And their weight?

Any toughts ???

julienlanoo

Re: Ipad, & tablets real use as photographer question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:58:04 am »

Ooops just discovrred the windows tablet post, sorry... Any way not trust full about any thing thats MS, still open to thoughts...

BJL

"the new iPad" and iPhoto for iOS: will Aperture or Lightroom come next?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:03:02 pm »

The new 2012 iPad and iPhoto for iOS are steps towards making the iPad a good photographers' tool, but there still seems to be a way to go. I wonder if and when there will be fully-fledged versions of Lightroom or Aperture for iPad? That new iPhoto for iOS does seem to go beyond previous iPad options like Nik Software's Snapseed and well beyond Adobe's Photoshop Touch, and iOS does know about raw formats, but iOS Apps so far seem to use that only to do automatic conversions: I do not see options for a raw file workflow yet. [Edit: Wrong! See below and thanks to sandymc.]

Curiously, though iPhoto for iOS handles files up to 19MP, a bit better than Snapseed's 16MP limit on the iPad 2 and far better than Photoshop Touch with its 1600x1600 limit, it still stops a bit short of the recent 22MP and 24MP models, including some almost mainstream options like the Sony NEX7. Are these limits dictated by hardware issues like RAM? If so, it might be a matter of waiting for the next bump in RAM capacity and/or the arrival of four core, ARM 15 based chips, expected in the next year or so.

Edit: Ignore my ignorance above: there _is_ raw manipulation software for the iPad and with no MP limits, like the PhotoRaw that sandymc mentions, and also piRAWnha. By the way, PhotoRaw deals with larger file sizes by implementing virtual memory, which I guess would slows things down quite a bit ... so the strong rumor that the new iPad has doubled RAM from 512MB to 1GB should help.
sandymc: yes, I just downloaded the Lite version and am checking it out!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:59:57 pm by BJL »

sandymc

Curiously, though iPhoto for iOS handles files up to 19MP, a bit better than Snapseed's 16MP limit on the iPad 2 and far better than Photoshop Touch with its 1600x1600 limit, it still stops a bit short of the recent 22MP and 24MP models, including some almost mainstream options like the Sony NEX7. Are these limits dictated by hardware issues like RAM? If so, it might be a matter of waiting for the next bump in RAM capacity and/or the arrival of four core, ARM 15 based chips, expected in the next year or so.

PhotoRaw will handle converting raw files at those resolutions - it's just slower that you might like. You can try the free version - PhotoRaw Lite - and see if it works for you.

Sandy

DeeJay

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:06:28 pm »

I have been using an iPad 2 for some time now and have to say the device is VERY useful for shoots. I bought it to use as a folio. It's brilliant and has saved thousands of pounds in prints and I can carry entire folios with me, customise them easily for different clients. People have really responded well to it.

I don't use it in the sense of shooting with. But I use it for production, it's invaluable for quickly showing people references, samples etc. You can get online with the 3G on location and look up things on the internet for references etc. It's brilliant. Then there's capture one pilot which is great if you want your clients away from you.

I hope aperture comes to iPad soon, I think the iPad is a while off being tethered, it just doesn't have the grunt yet. But I'd imagine we will all be doing it a few generations down the line. I got it working with a Canon WFT and Shuttersnitch but was unreliable. I look forward to testing the new Photoshop for iPad and see what offers.

I really hope that some day they make a 15" iPad to use as a folio.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:17:32 pm by DeeJay »

jvora

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:35:21 pm »

Hello :

I hope I am not taking this discussion on to a different tangent, but what would make a tablet most useful for me is the ability to tether ( USB is fine no real need for WiFi for me ) it to my camera ( Nikon D3s) and be able to control the camera from the tablet ( i.e. change shutter speed, aperture, capture, and download the image to the tablet etc. )

Am looking for an app that would do all of the above - Similar to all the functions and options that Nikon's Camera Control Pro software provides !

I believe there is such an app, but to use it one has to have a computer as a go-between - This for me then defeats the whole purpose to use a tablet.

All I want is to take the tablet on shoots and not the laptop and be able to control the camera using it !

Any developers out here - Do consider this request !

Jai

BJL

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:36:29 pm »

I really hope that some day they make a 15" iPad to use as a folio.
Me too: maybe we were both hoping for this prediction of an iBoard in 2012 to come true:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPad-iMat-iBoard-Joke,news-5968.html
And some like Erik might like the iMat, wall mounted for viewing photos and video at 8K.

But Aperture or Lightroom would be a good start.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:38:34 pm by BJL »

NBP

• http://
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:31:17 am »

As a pro, I think we're very much at the starting block with tablets, but the potential is 200% there.

I think it's important not to get too impatient or carried away just yet though - Mr Hecker's claim that fine art photo books are dead is ludicrous for example & as a pro, I can assure you that at present, whilst the iPad is a nice extra at meetings - say as an extra folio of very current work or work in progress etc., clients at the higher end of things still very much want & like to see my work as a physical object - A 10inch iPad screen is still no substitute for a 30x40 double page spread on Hahnemuhle.

Having said that, I love my little iPad & it has become very much part of my travelling kit. I use it in conjunction with selected apps to import a days images & have a little mess around with them at the end of the day  - if I like something I’ve done, I can then reference it back at mission control of send it to my retoucher as a guide – in other words it’s a great ‘sketchbook’ as it were (I also find it strange Mr Hecker didn’t mention the excellent Filterstorm Pro app).

I had a good play around with iPhoto yesterday & whilst it’s a bit clunky & unintuitive for those of us that know our way around pro imaging software, it’s pretty impressive for what it is, and more importantly what it will become as tablets inevitably become more & more powerful. (In fact, used in conjunction with Filterstorm, I managed to import a 5Dmk2 RAW edit it in iPhoto save it to photos, open in Filterstorm & do a bit more editing & then save & emailed as a 9mb jpg to the mac pro and opened and saved a 60mb tif)

Tethering & being able to export edited images to a pocket HD is an obvious next step. We also have to remember that tablets are primarily consumer products and will very much stay that way, but I doubt we’ll be kept waiting too long for the ability too do what we need to as well.

Gemmtech

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:36 am »

As a pro, I think we're very much at the starting block with tablets, but the potential is 200% there.

I think it's important not to get too impatient or carried away just yet though - Mr Hecker's claim that fine art photo books are dead is ludicrous for example & as a pro, I can assure you that at present, whilst the iPad is a nice extra at meetings - say as an extra folio of very current work or work in progress etc., clients at the higher end of things still very much want & like to see my work as a physical object - A 10inch iPad screen is still no substitute for a 30x40 double page spread on Hahnemuhle.

I have to agree, people will start buying tablets to work with once Windows 8 is released.  I have seen a lot of IPads being used for pleasure, but not one for "work"  Android doesn't have the apps and it's still too fragmented.  If W8 can offer a great user experience, IPad sales will suffer dramatically... However it seems it will be another year or two before tablets really take off for work.  I'd love to take one with me on trips, but they can't do anything and you need a stand and a keyboard, so take a netbook or notebook.  A slide out keyboard would be cool....

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 03:00:01 pm »

I have seen a lot of IPads being used for pleasure, but not one for "work" 

And yet, the comment right above yours includes a description of someone doing "work" on their iPad. One wonders if you personally inspect every iPad you see to determine if it's being used for "work" or "pleasure", or if you just make assumptions.

Your relentless negativity towards everything Apple is really getting tiresome.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Gemmtech

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:03:04 pm »

And yet, the comment right above yours includes a description of someone doing "work" on their iPad. One wonders if you personally inspect every iPad you see to determine if it's being used for "work" or "pleasure", or if you just make assumptions.

Your relentless negativity towards everything Apple is really getting tiresome.

I said

"I have seen a lot of IPads being used for pleasure, but not one for "work" "

I have never met the poster above me and quite frankly his post doesn't lead me to believe he does much if any work with an IPad, he did mention it's part of his traveling kit, I assume so is his toothbrush.

Don't wonder anymore, every single time I encounter a person with an IPad I do in fact approach them and ask what they do with it, the answers all have one thing in common, want to take a guess? :-)  I intend on buying a used IPad 1 or 2 for my daughter within the next month, seems there are some good educational apps, (so I am told)

You must not know me very well, I'm not negative toward Apple, they are a great marketing company, one of the best ever.  And I give credit where credit is due, the IPhone is easier to backup and restore than an Android device, I use an IPhone and I'm writing this post on a 15" MBP, which is dual booted with Windows 7.  I love my IPod.  Though I threaten to buy a Motorola phone, there's a strong possibility I'll end up with an IPhone 5 in June/July, provided it has a few items I want.  Apple products suck for the person who wants to repair them himself or to have an additional battery for their laptop, phone, mp3 player etc.  Jonathan Ive is a great designer based upon the aesthetics of Apple products, but for upgrades and changes, they are one of the worst.  Please don't believe I like every other company and I just pick on Apple.  I abhor how companies force people to pay $2000.00 because a .05 piece of plastic failed (a dig at Mercedes) and they are all guilty.  I own a lot of Apple products and I have repaired quite a few of them, I'm not speaking from ignorance, but rather experience.  Granted, I'm no Mac OS expert, far from it, but nobody will ever convince me it's any better than Windows.  I believe Apple products are made for "Sheeple" and sometimes I'm one of them, I don't want to screw around with my phone, I just want it to work easily, be intuitive and be able to back it up easily, the IPhone almost accomplishes every task.  Apple's customer service IMHO is certainly grade A.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:09:56 pm by Gemmtech »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 06:34:10 pm »

I've seen lots of iPads used for "work"; all medical staff at a regional medical clinic I consult for now carry iPads, looking up and entering patient information, encounters and prescriptions.  With native exchange support, messaging including voicemail is also fully supported.  We are awaiting the final release of the MS-Lync client, which will fulfill IM and paging capabilities.....

So what is the end result?  The "sheeple" that are Doctors and Nurses spend more time with patients, as opposed to sitting at their desk documenting what they just did........

Gemmtech

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:23 am »

I've seen lots of iPads used for "work"; all medical staff at a regional medical clinic I consult for now carry iPads, looking up and entering patient information, encounters and prescriptions.  With native exchange support, messaging including voicemail is also fully supported.  We are awaiting the final release of the MS-Lync client, which will fulfill IM and paging capabilities.....

So what is the end result?  The "sheeple" that are Doctors and Nurses spend more time with patients, as opposed to sitting at their desk documenting what they just did........

John, There's no doubt that there are some people using IPads in the workplace for a specific task and there is no doubt the medical industry as a whole is archaic when it comes to technology in the USA.  Having dated a MD for 5 years I have some idea of the paperwork that they must process, not fun.   But then you want to take your work with you, can they take their IPads and do work on them while on vacation?  Can they take just the IPad if they want to work on an Excel file and do a little image tweaking in LR?  I'd love to have a tablet, but let's face facts, they aren't ready for prime-time just yet, they are getting there and people have paid billions to get us to the promised land... :-)   A tablet is a great device, no doubt about it, they have been around a lot longer than the IPad and certain industries have thrived with them (think transportation)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:07:36 am »

But then you want to take your work with you, can they take their IPads and do work on them while on vacation?  Can they take just the IPad if they want to work on an Excel file

Yes - they can

Gemmtech

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 07:59:15 am »

Yes - they can

IPads can read and create "Excel" and "Word" files but they aren't always compatible, I learned that the hard way.  I would imagine MS Office for IPad is coming and that would help.  I'm assuming patient records can't be stored on the Ipad?  It's just a means of inputting data?  Just thinking about HIPAA and a nurse or doctor having my medical records on their family vacation.....

BJL

doing real work on a tablet without MS Office
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:41 am »

Gemmtech,

your criterion for doing "real work" (TM) seems to be based on MS Word, MS Excel, and other specific software like Adobe Lightroom.

On one hand I agree that people who specifically need compatibility with MS Word and MS Excel will be better off with a device using an Intel x86 architecture processor, not any device using an ARM processor ... and this usage will be better served by a real keyboard, and maybe a mouse (since existing desktop software UIs expect those input devices), and then as you suggest, a laptop (either Windows of Mac OS) could be a better tool than any touch-screnn only device like an iPad or Windows or Android tablet. Likewise, people who want the full power of professional software like Lightroom or Aperture or Adobe Creative Suite components like Photoshop are better off with an x86 powered device, at least for now. A Windows on ARM (WOA) tablet that can only run newly written Metro (WinRT) apps plus just the four main MS Office components that MS has ported to WOA will not help power users much, so I understand your preference for the traditional "Windows on x86" environment.

On the other hand, a lot of real work is done without specifically needing Word or Excel or Lightroom. Some people need a word processor or spreadsheet without it having to be Word or Excel, and indeed the all time top-selling paid app for iPad is a word-processor: Apple's Pages. There is also a spreadsheet at #11 (Numbers), presentation software at #12 (Keynote), a more MS Office compatible combination of word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software at #19 (QuickOffice Pro HD), and a bunch of other productivity apps mixed in amongst the recreational apps, despite these productivity apps being more expensive than most other apps: see list below, with "productivity" apps starred.

Of course, games, reading and viewing/listening dominates, and that is what you will usually see when you ask strangers in public about what they are doing on their iPads, but "mostly recreational" is very different from "no real work". By the way, in my workplace, iPads are used to read and make brief notes on technical documents and books, read email and send (brief) messages, read and modify calendars and to do lists, interact with our employer's web-sites, deliver presentations including live writing on the screen over the prepared slides, and do computational and graphics demos with apps like SpaceTime and GraphCalc HD.

All-time top-selling paid iPad apps as of March 7, 2011:
*1. Pages
2. Angry Birds HD
3. Angry Birds Seasons HD
*4. Penultimate
5. Scrabble for iPad
6. Fruit Ninja HD
7. GarageBand
*8. GoodReader
9. Angry Birds Rio HD
10. Cut The Rope HD
*11. Numbers
*12. Keynote
13. Words With Friends HD
14. Star Walk for iPad
15. MONOPOLY for iPad
16. Plants vs. Zombies HD
17. Where’s My Water?
18. Friendly Plus for Facebook
*19. QuickOffice Pro HD
*20. Notability
*21. Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad
22. Pinball HD
23. MyPad+ – For Facebook & Twitter
24. Infinity Blade
25. Real Racing 2
Source: http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-reveals-new-all-time-top-apps-following-25-billion-downloads/

BJL

Ipad, & tablets for real work: privacy issues?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 12:10:21 pm »

My apologies for wandering off the photographic connection, but to respond to this question:
I'm assuming patient records can't be stored on the Ipad?  It's just a means of inputting data?  Just thinking about HIPAA and a nurse or doctor having my medical records on their family vacation.....
I am guessing that with confidential information like this, any mobile device is best used as a "network portal", for reading and modifying records that are stored on a server; for example through a VPN app like Splashtop Remote Desktop. The iPad does allow for password protection, encryption of files on the device and when transferred, deletion of files after too many failed login attempts, and remote deletion of files from a lost or stolen device, but I am not sure of any of this meets the standards of privacy laws. Some details at
http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/pdf/iPad_Security_Overview.pdf

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »

IPads can read and create "Excel" and "Word" files but they aren't always compatible, I learned that the hard way.  I would imagine MS Office for IPad is coming and that would help.  I'm assuming patient records can't be stored on the Ipad?  It's just a means of inputting data?  Just thinking about HIPAA and a nurse or doctor having my medical records on their family vacation.....

Of course not, nor would any medical facility store individual records on a client PC.  All iPads are protected with passcodes and in case of loss can be remote wiped.  Honestly - spend some time with any Exchange Administrator - IOS devices are quite common in these environment and well liked.  As far as HIPPA compliance - access to individual medical records is controlled by a combination Windows Authentication (Exchange TLS) and Application Client.  Quick Office Pro HD allows MS-Office file handling.

Sorry to take this thread in this direction; I'm simply refuting the statement that iPads are not used for work.  This statement is, on it's face ridiculous as it could well be applied to any computing device.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:42:12 pm by John.Murray »

shotworldwide

• shotworldwide.com
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 06:33:42 am »

Hello :

I hope I am not taking this discussion on to a different tangent, but what would make a tablet most useful for me is the ability to tether ( USB is fine no real need for WiFi for me ) it to my camera ( Nikon D3s) and be able to control the camera from the tablet ( i.e. change shutter speed, aperture, capture, and download the image to the tablet etc. )

Am looking for an app that would do all of the above - Similar to all the functions and options that Nikon's Camera Control Pro software provides !

I believe there is such an app, but to use it one has to have a computer as a go-between - This for me then defeats the whole purpose to use a tablet.

All I want is to take the tablet on shoots and not the laptop and be able to control the camera using it !

Any developers out here - Do consider this request !

Jai

You can try this one:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/

Filip

----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Regards, Filip

-----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:04:47 pm »

dslr remote works great!  however it requires the camera to be tethered to a laptop running a server process.

Back to slightly off topic, i wasn't comfortable posting this, however another blogger nearby in Dalles, Oregon has:

http://ahier.blogspot.com/2010/11/ehr-goin-mobile.html

This is exactly what we are using......

Also, University of Chicago Medical has posted results of their study, regarding the use of iPads in a clinical setting:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/ipad-doctors-university-of-chicago-efficiency_n_1340305.html

The study does note that these benefits are not limited to iPad's, but the fact remains, the only tablet devices that can be easily remote wiped are iPads.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up