Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon 800E vs Canon 5D III "the shoot out at the OK corral"  (Read 7385 times)

marcmccalmont

Nikon 800E vs Canon 5D III "the shoot out at the OK corral"
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »

Michael
How about a "shoot out at the OK corral" Nikon 800E vs Canon 5DIII?
when do you expect to review these?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Nikon 800E vs Canon 5D III "the shoot out at the OK corral"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:46:16 pm »

Marc,

I am pretty sure both cameras will excel at beer photography, how about we do our own comparison in Tokyo over a few of those in April after we get our respective new toys?  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:02:24 pm »

Bernard
That sounds great but I'm on the fence we might have twins!
In anticipation of more resolution I invested in some Leica R glass with Leitax adapters for the 5DIII. My primary lenses now, are the Nikkor 14-24 2.8, Leica R 28-90 2.8-4.0 and Leica R 80-200 4.0 with Leitax adapters. Since the resolution did not increase and the DR is not known I might go full circle and return to my first love Nikon! Just a quick change  of adapters and for landscapes I'd pack the WRS/IQ180 and the D800E, keeping my 5DII for all the Canon lenses. But I'll wait until DxO has published their charts and Michael has formed an opinion. It's funny I waited for years for Nikon to come out with a FF affordable DSLR and since Canon was ahead with the 5D I switched to Canon rewarding them for taking technological risks (EOS lenses, CMOS sensors, 5D etc) thinking they would maintain the cutting edge. Who thought Sony would produce the best sensors and Nikon would source them?  
But a beer in Tokyo sounds good either way!
Marc
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:38:47 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:00:53 am »

Even so, not real twins, I'll get the D800 instead of the D800E.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:40:21 pm by BernardLanguillier »

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:26:43 am »

That sounds great but I'm on the fence we might have twins!
Meaning Bernard assumed I would upgrade my 5DII to a 5DIII but infact I'm leaning twords the Nikon 800 (we would both have Nikon 800's, twins)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

dreed

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:04:47 am »

Meaning Bernard assumed I would upgrade my 5DII to a 5DIII but infact I'm leaning twords the Nikon 800 (we would both have Nikon 800's, twins)

I don't think it would be a fair comparison.

If the commentary on the pictures that have been uploaded to the internet thus far is any then the 5DIII is a warmed up 5DII - which is very typical of Canon and makes for the 5DIII to be just one big yawn as far as reviewing it being interesting.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:26:36 am »

Even so, not real twins, I'll get the D800 instead of the D800E.  ;)

Hey Bernard,

Curious why you'd get the D800 and not the "E". I woulg have thought it more logical for version with the AA filter being the "exception" and the straight D800 the one without. Personally, I've never seen a need for AA on my 645D and only twice on the M9, and never with landscape.

As for a review - I'm awaiting the D800 samples. Hopefully one will arrive in time for a trip I have planned to the Arctic in April.

Cheers,

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

scott2012

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:18 pm »

Even so, not real twins, I'll get the D800 instead of the D800E.

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 08:37:59 am »

Hey Bernard,

Curious why you'd get the D800 and not the "E". I woulg have thought it more logical for version with the AA filter being the "exception" and the straight D800 the one without. Personally, I've never seen a need for AA on my 645D and only twice on the M9, and never with landscape.

As for a review - I'm awaiting the D800 samples. Hopefully one will arrive in time for a trip I have planned to the Arctic in April.

Cheers,

- N.

One thing I've noticed as a Sigma user is that it is is easy to get small "jaggies" on thin lines at different angles. This can lead to a sense of extra sharpness when reproduced in a small size but (to me) it's obtrusive with some subjects (thin grass stems, distant tree branches and twigs, that kind of thing).  When I saw Sean Reid's review of the Fuji, I immediately had a close look at various Fuji sample files that are around. To me it seem that even though there is little colour moire, some fuji files seem to show similar stair stepping/jaggies effects as the Sigmas (although less often and on a smaller scale).  I don't know at this point whether it would bother me in a print and chances are that the 800e would be affected at even smaller scales but if it does bother you, it's one reason to consider the stock 800.

My website and photo galleries: http://w

bjanes

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »

Michael
when do you expect to review these?
Marc

I doubt that Michael is up to another shootout, but others will be looking at the technical performance of these cameras. Bill Claff has -published some results and Emil Martinec made useful comments on pattern noise.

Regards,

Bill

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:00:27 pm »

When performing this, er, "shoot-out", please remember that the "shoot-out at the OK Corral" took place somewhere in the vicinity of the OK Corral rather than in the OK Corral itself. Failure to take account of this fact could cause all kinds of disputes to arise about the validity of the comparison.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up