Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Displaying your photographic art  (Read 3417 times)

2tcreative

Displaying your photographic art
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:39:45 am »

I live in the DFW area and have an opportunity to hang my work in a gallery.

My question is: What are some ways to showing/displaying your photographic artwork?

I assume right off to frame them, but can I also display them as matted examples only? If matted I want to use archival 8-ply matte boards that will show 8x8 inch prints that will be mounted in 16x20 portrait oriented matts with heavy weighting to the top.

Can I show them without framing/glass? Or is that considered un-professional? Also, should I use the non-glare glass/acrylic as opposed to the less-expensive plain glass?

Should the frame be metal or wood? If wood should it be black or dark mahogany?

I will have about 12 pieces I want to show.

Thanks for any information you can share as this is my first time to do it in a gallery and not my home!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Displaying your photographic art
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:08:04 pm »

It all rather depends on the nature of the photos, doesn't it? FWIW, I've never been a fan of relatively small images in large frames.

Jeremy

2tcreative

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »

Small image in large matte is twofold: fits the theme of the show and is a cost consideration as well.  But can you expound on the your statement?  I would be interested.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33:30 pm »

First thing is to see what the gallery is doing now and to ask the gallery what they expect. I imagine if their goal is to SELL work, you had better have the product ready to carry out the door.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »

Small image in large matte is twofold: fits the theme of the show and is a cost consideration as well.  But can you expound on the your statement?  I would be interested.
It's just a personal view. I've seen lots of tiny images, surrounded by acres of white mat, in large black frames. It's always seemed  to me both pointless and in some way pretentious, and something in me balks at the idea of paying a premium for a big sheet of cardboard and a larger-than-necessary piece of glazing material.

So, I wouldn't buy anything framed in that way. Others may differ - and no doubt do.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up