Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RZ67 ProIID: works with the AE Chimney finder?  (Read 2752 times)

ondebanks

RZ67 ProIID: works with the AE Chimney finder?
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:51:03 am »

So, once again confusing "want" with "need" ( ;) ), I've been looking into the RZ67 as a possible second body for my Mamiya-mount DB. And for shooting 6x7 film in some situations.

My current DB doesn't have a wakeup port, so I would have to go the more expensive "ProIID + HX701 adapter-with-wakeup-contacts" route, rather than the more affordable ProII and "dumb" adapter that some backs can use (Leaf and newer PhaseOne for example). But it's also the case that my future planned DB - one of the PhaseOne P+ Kodak-sensor series - will also work most straightforwardly on a ProIID + HX701 because of the wakeup issue.

Those familiar with my posts and image samples here know that I'm quite the long exposure guy. I've been thoroughly scrutinizing the specs and limitations for long exposures (posts here and on getDPI by Doug Peterson have been particularly informative). 1 minute is the limit of my current DB anyway so I can live with the 1 minute limit of the ProIID in its normal mode (then I stack frames or go to a film back). With a future P+ back, I'd use the mode that Doug describes to go beyond 1 minute on the ProIID. So I'm happy that this is going to work.

A big attraction for me, of a camera like the RZ, is the WLF/chimney vertical viewfinder. I'd love to be able to get AE/metering with vertical viewing for daytime shots, and I know there was an AE Chimney finder for the earlier RZ models. But it doesn't appear in the ProIID brochure or user manual, so that worries me.

Does anyone know for certain if the AE Chimney finder is compatible with the ProIID?

Ray

AlDoori

Re: RZ67 ProIID: works with the AE Chimney finder?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:46 am »

http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_pdf/mamiya_rz_accessories.pdf

the manual states, the AE finder must be modified to work with the RZ proII, and so with the RZ proIID also.

anyway, i just made a quick test:
it seems to work fine with the RZ pro IID, metering is off o.5 stops compared to the AE prism finder II.
i made the test with an old film back: my leaf aptus 22 does not communicate the selected iso/asa.

ondebanks

Re: RZ67 ProIID: works with the AE Chimney finder?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:29:56 pm »

Thanks for testing it, AlDoori!

I could certainly live with a 0.5 stop offset, if it's always that amount - just compensate for it by changing the ISO setting.

I wonder if the offset is the only reason why Mamiya stated that it must be modified...

Cheers,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up