Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignorant Facebook Marketing  (Read 4051 times)

aboudd

• Aboud Dweck - A Body of Work
Ignorant Facebook Marketing
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:25:59 pm »

There is an inherent weakness in promoting a business through Facebook if you ask a customer to jump through virtual hoops. I just had a strange experience with a discount campaign for a backdrop company. So weird that I had to post it on my blog. www.everything-foto.blogspot.com

You may want to check it out.
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.
www.dweckgallery.com

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
Re: Ignorant Facebook Marketing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »

Not sure I understand the problem. If you want the discount, follow the rules. If it's too much bother, skip it.

"The real voyage of discove

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:01:36 pm »

I sympathize, Aboudd.

What I think I would have done on the phone with "the boss" is ask nicely if there was another backdrop supplier they might recommend.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:59:20 am »

Not sure I understand the problem. If you want the discount, follow the rules. If it's too much bother, skip it.
Quite. They're offering an exchange: you do something for them, which (in their view) will help their business, and in return they will do something for you. Whether their view is correct and whether they're running the deal in a competent fashion are separate points.

Why do you expect to get something for nothing?

Jeremy

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:13:16 am »

+1
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Gary Brown

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:22 am »

Not sure I understand the problem. If you want the discount, follow the rules.

Not everyone feels that such things are ethical, though; e.g., For $2 a Star, an Online Retailer Gets 5-Star Product Reviews in The New York Times.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:30 am »

There are bosses from hell... and then there are apparently customers from hell too ;)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:34 pm »

There are bosses from hell... and then there are apparently customers from hell too ;)

The trick in life is to introdue the one to the other!

;-)

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »

Not everyone feels that such things are ethical, though; e.g., For $2 a Star, an Online Retailer Gets 5-Star Product Reviews in The New York Times.
OK then, let's qualify Chuck's comment:

If you want the discount and either aren't troubled by what some might view as dubious ethics or are able to suppress your high-mindedness for the sake of a little bit of money, follow the rules.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:24:45 pm by kikashi »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:30 pm »

I think there is a significant difference between a "Like" on FB and product reviews. "Like" on FB is rather generic, relates to the whole company, while product reviews are quite specific and personalized, thus, supposedly, much more influential.

At this point in history (of the Internet, that is), most of us are acutely aware of how the whole system can be rigged by shills and marketing practices of sweepstakes and discounts for Likes and similar. Being aware means that I approach any information contained in the number of Likes, number of stars, individual reviews, etc. with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Having said that, I believe companies are perfectly within their rights to exchange discounts for Likes, but not to pay for 5 star reviews, as mentioned in the article. It is also perfectly ok to discriminate between customers who agree to the terms and those who do not. Unless, of course a new, legally protected species (e.g., obnoxious photo-background buyers) is added to race, gender, national origin, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up