Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900: Can't find ml left in carts  (Read 1698 times)

walter.sk

Epson 4900: Can't find ml left in carts
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:54:15 pm »

I posted this question on another website, but have not had a reply so I'll try here.  When one of my original ink carts was running out, I was able to find the actual number of mililiters left in the cart, in addition to the graphic representations and the number of stars listed, on the printer lcd as well as in the Epson LFP remote Panel software. 

I am now getting low on another cart, but I cannot find how to access the readout in mililiters.  Maybe I'm missing something, but the I have not found reference to that in the user's manual.

Am I only imagining that I had such a readout?  If not, I would appreciate help in finding it.

Randy Carone

Re: Epson 4900: Can't find ml left in carts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »

The 4900 will not tell you how many ML are left in your cartridges. I'm very surprised that you were able to tell how many MLs were left in your starter carts. Are you sure?
Randy Carone

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:41 pm »

I'm beginning to doubt that I actually saw the readout in ml.  Maybe it was only what I was used to on my old HP Z3100.

MikeWhitten

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:42:35 pm »

I've been watching with interest but know I can't find that info on my 4900.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:04:29 am »

You can't see exactly how many ml's are left in a cartridge, only guesstimate the % based on the panel or utility.  If there is about 10% of the bar showing, that means the printer is estimating there is 10% of the ink remaining, obviously you have to then factor the size of the cartridge as to how much 10% is.

The cartridge indicator is normally pretty conservative.  Even when it shows as almost empty, it may have as much as 10% of the cartridge capacity left.  The only issue is if you need to clean the nozzles the printer will think there isn't enough ink and want a new cartridge.  You can insert a full one one, clean, and then put the other one back in.

The printer will stop when an ink cartridge is actually empty, and allow a new one to be installed ... even mid print.  I've done this countless times as have other posters with no visual impact to the print. So as long as you are close by the best policy is to wait till the printer asks you to install a new one.  Throwing one out when it is "almost" empty may lose you 10 to 20ml of ink.

Randy Carone

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:58 am »

Wayne,

I had a customer who's Epson 11880 stopped, mid-print, on a Friday and he waited until Monday to replace his depleted cart. The printer started back up and the print came out perfect. He called me on Monday to say he was amazed that the print was flawless, since neither one of us knew if there would be a noticeable line in the print. All was well...
Randy Carone
Pages: [1]   Go Up