Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonkers: kit changes  (Read 4614 times)

Christine Durst

Bonkers: kit changes
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:53:29 pm »

Hi. Well it's official - I'm driving myself BONKERS with this (as of late) eternal debate...

I upgraded a year ago from my canon t1i to the 5dM2 (with a 50mm prime & the 24-105 kit l lens). It's fantastic... BUT I'm just thinking it's a lot of camera I don't need. My primary "job" is not photography but I'm working on building a "name" locally for my work. I don't shoot weddings, babies, etc. Although I would be happy to do the latter type of portraiture. Mostly I shoot local landscape, travel, "street" (if that exists in a rural community), and local architecture.

The truth is - I can't afford the canon lenses I really want/need to get the most out of this 5d. I could sell it for more than I bought if for honestly (thanks to my education discount) and turn around and purchase a system better suited for my needs and be able to purchase several good lenses.

I have been mulling over the m4/3 - specifically the Oly Om-D, Fuji XPro1, or the Sony NEX 7. Honestly - can I get what I need from these (for my style). And if so - thoughts on which and lens recos would be SUPER helpful.

You're welcome to look at my burgeoning portfolio at www.cmthirteen.com and provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback as well. I always appreciate the direction and suggestions from those with more time behind the camera than I.

Christine

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Bonkers: kit changes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:27 pm »

The 5DII is great for what you are doing, concentrate on your photography and not your kit.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Christine Durst

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:18:44 pm »

Thank you Tom!

I adore the image on your splash page. Brilliant!

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »

Thanks, taken with a 5dII. I have a GH2 as well, the only reason I use it instead of the 5DII is when I have to carry it for a long time.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:58:39 pm »

Given your stated preferences of subject matter, there are really 3 lenses you need. A 35mm f/2, a 50mm f/1.4 and an 85mm f/1.8.  you probably are lusting after the big fast aperture zooms (16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L) and/ or faster primes.

But you don't need them to make great photos, and more importantly, you'll get get tired of the weight of lugging them around. The more your energy gets sapped the fewer photos you'll make and the sheer weight and bulk of them will alos reduce how much you'll be able to concentrate on making the ones you do make; the more that happens the more frustrated and disappointed with your photography you'll become.

Great photographers like Henri Cartier-Bresson, David Alan Harvey, Elliot Erwitt, Lee Friedlander, Diane Arbus James Nachtwey carry (carried in the case of Arbus, Winograd and H C-B) very little gear with them for a reason: They want to be able to move freely and respond quickly. You can't do that if you turn yourself in to a camera and lens toting Frankenstein.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:01:45 pm by Ellis Vener »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:50 pm »

There definitely are opportunities to be a street photographer in a small town. The more you know a place and its inhabitants  the more insightful and revealing of the human condition  your photographs can be. Once you learn how a camera "sees" the more possibilities you'll earn.

Christine Durst

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:21:32 am »

I agree with you - there are many interesting people I see. The "street" is different is all... a farm road, a market, the town center. It's there for the "seeing."

Christine Durst

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:36:19 am »

Thank you for the recommendations. I find lugging around in this small town does scream "photographer taking your picture!" and then having a bag with a bunch of lenses to cart around and to change out... And honestly I can't afford the lenses (even ONE lens) I'd really like. So I am limited to just this one I have.

I know this is a great kit I have right now. But it's more than I need and making it more of what I want is beyond my fiscal reach. I'm not a "professional" (I don't make my living off of my work). I am happy knowing I have found something at which I may have a bit of talent. It makes me happy. I enter a contest here and there. I show a few pieces locally. And I am happy knowing there are people who enjoy my work.

And I agree - I don't need all that to take good photos... Thank you!

Onslow

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:05:29 pm »

Hi Christine.

I too have the same as you (plus a bit more) What you have will do everything you want. Extra lenses for this and that are nice, not compulsory. The 24-105 is a superb lens. Learn to use what you already have to its full capacity........ Then think about lenses.

Once you get on the "I'll be a better photographer ONLY if I have more gear" you'll never improve.
Cheers

Onslow
Pages: [1]   Go Up