Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions about Epson SP 3880  (Read 2613 times)

desy

questions about Epson SP 3880
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:50:16 pm »

Looking at buying a new printer, since my Epson 2200 is finally ready to be put to rest, and appreciate some input from those familiar with the 3880. I'm considering "stepping up" to the 3880 instead of getting another 13x19 format printer, for a couple of reasons.

One is to be able to print my own 16x24in prints. I know that the 3880 doesn't manage roll paper, and the standard Epson sheet is 17x22in, but was told by my local dealer that it should be feasible to buy roll paper and cut it to my desired size, then feed it manually into the printer in order to do 16x24. Since I mainly like to keep my prints at a 2x3 aspect ratio this is an important consideration in my purchase.

Another part of this question concerns the availability of decent quality paper in a 17in wide roll size, I've looked on the Epson site and they don't seem to offer too much selection, but as long as I can get something decent in a matte or semi-matte finish I'm fine.

The other main consideration is ink costs, which I'm estimating would be about half with the 3880 vs. a 13x19in machine. This is based on the relative cost and size of the cartridges here in Canada. Would appreciate feedback on others experience with this.

Related to this is the fact that I don't do high volume printing, so also looking at how long I can potentially keep an 80ml cartridge of ink in the machine before running into any kind of problems? I do anticipate having to run a print on a regular basis to avoid head clogging, but am expecting that based on my anticipated usage my ink cartridges might sit in the machine for up to 2-3 years.

Appreciate any relevant feedback on the above matters. I'm hoping to take advantage of the current Epson rebate, so may be purchasing a machine in the next couple of weeks.

AFairley

Re: questions about Epson SP 3880
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »

Faced with a similar situation, I passed on the idea of using roll paper, I did not want to deal with the curl issue.  Instead I bought a box of 20x30 Epson Exhibition Fiber sheet paper.  I cut 17x25 pieces out of the sheet.  The overage gives me eight 5 x 7" pieces.  These are not wasted since I usually print 5x7 proof prints as I compare different development settings and looks before going to a final large print (though my usual practice has been to buy boxes of 8.5x11 paper and print proofs 2-up, feeding the paper through a second time for the second proof).  Factoring in what it would cost to purchase the smaller paper size for proof prints separately, it actually is cheaper than buying boxes of 17x22 and 8.5x11 paper.  I cut the sheets with a straight edge and hand cutter on 2' x 3' a healing cutting pad, using the markings on the pad for alignment and placing the straight edge so it is on the overage part of the paper, not the main print area.  Alternatively, you can buy pre-cut 17x25" paper, it does exist, just not made by Epson.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:08:19 pm »

Virtually all paper manufacturers have 17 inch rolls for sale.  If you have a good paper cutter such as a Rotatrim it's a snap to cut 17 x 25 inch paper.  You will need to get rid of the curl prior to printing and you can either buy a D-Roller or make your own version of one from an inexpensive vinyl window shade.  With respect to the lifetime of ink, I have had cartridges in my 3880 for as long a 11 months with no apparent problems either from clogging (this printer really doesn't clog much at all) or loss of color. 

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:16:38 pm »

Definitely look at other paper manufacturers.  Hahnemuehle, in their Harman by Hahnemuehle line, has a gloss baryta (the old Harman FB Al Gloss Baryta) that is available 17" x 25".  And I remember from earlier posts that there are other papers available in this size (though not a whole lot).  I would call Shades of Paper for an initial inquiry.  And I seem to remember that Red River offers some in that size, but I haven't checked their site for sizes or have any experience with their papers.  But limiting yourself to Epson papers is quite limiting given the absolutely wonderful papers that are available now  -- older ones like Hahnemuehle's line of matte fine art papers, and newer papers taking PK ink, either baryta-finished not.  I would take a note of longevity ratings for papers you are considering, then have fun with the selection.  And you WILL have fun with a new 3880!  BTW, my experience with the new printer is that I go through inks faster than I did with the old 2200 simply because I'm printing more.  As I said, you WILL have fun.  --Barbara

desy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 11:46:32 pm »

Going to reply to my original post rather than individual replies to all who responded:

Thanks for all the feedback, there were a lot of great suggestions and this will be really helpful in making my decision, which I think is to go ahead and get the 3880. The only other question that comes up that I forgot to address is being able to set the appropriate paper size in the Epson driver (i.e. 17x25), but I'm confident that will be no problem.

Again, appreciate the responses.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:59:56 am »

It is very easy to create any custom paper size you want within the limits of the printer.  So 17 x 25 pops up on my list any time I go to choose paper size, along with the standard sizes in the software and the other custom sizes I've set.  The pop-up list also warns you that these custom sizes are not usable for borderless printing.  --Barbara

desy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:46:28 pm »

It is very easy to create any custom paper size you want within the limits of the printer.  So 17 x 25 pops up on my list any time I go to choose paper size, along with the standard sizes in the software and the other custom sizes I've set.  The pop-up list also warns you that these custom sizes are not usable for borderless printing.  --Barbara

Thanks for verifying this.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:11 am »

The only limitation with the Epson print driver is that you cannot print longer than 37 inches (but that's not an issue for you since you want to do 17x25).
Pages: [1]   Go Up