Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR3 to LR4 upgrade catogue issues.  (Read 15861 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: LR3 to LR4 upgrade catogue issues.
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 05:49:02 pm »

And pray, how would you do that exactly?
Just load it and follow the prompts.

IanScicluna

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 05:58:14 pm »

Thanks Rhossydd, but do you mean go to FILE\OPEN CATALOGUE and choose the Lr3 catalogue?

This will produce a pop-up that asks if you want to re-launch Lightroom and use this "new" catalogue.

Maybe my original question was not clear.  I already have an Lr4 catalogue with images in it (some carried over from Lr4 beta), and I want to consolidate this and the Lr3 cat into one so that I can use only Lr4.

Thanks for your patience.

Rhossydd

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:50 pm »

I already have an Lr4 catalogue with images in it (some carried over from Lr4 beta), and I want to consolidate this and the Lr3 cat into one so that I can use only Lr4.
How about ?
File > Import from another catalogue

IanScicluna

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 06:07:07 pm »

:-[  Now I'm embrassed.  Thanks!  I appreciate your help.

Good night.

jljonathan

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 08:02:34 pm »

There is an issue with custom point curves during the Lr 3 --> Lr 4 process not being preserved.  We (Adobe) are investigating that.  My understanding is that if you had left the point curve at its default value in Lr 3 (e.g., Medium Contrast for raw, Linear for non-raw), then there is no issue.

No other image settings are affected.

This may be true, but how many users just leave the curve setting at default, medium contrast. I don't, and from what I gather from reading the replies, many others don't. Thus, expect some mild to severe changes when upgrading images. I'm in the process of trying to compare some upgrades with the originals in ver. 3.6 and will get back with any updates.

stamper

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:14 am »

If someone has a catalogue with edited images and tone curves as well as non edited images then choose the edited images for export to a new catalogue and go ahead and convert the non edited images to LR4?

Walter_temp

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 05:22:08 am »

To which purpose? Whom does this effort do any good?
- First there is no easy way - at least none I'm aware of - to tell the images treated with tone curves and those that haven't.
A professional photographer may have several 10,000 images in his directories. Time is money for pros.
- Which workflow do you intend to use?
Going ahead with the imported catalog, transferring to process version 2012, take advantage of softproof, a new way (a better one, of course) to manipulate the images in Development
and
keep the photos you "tone-curved" in LR 3?
Why on earth do I want to do that?

Ciao, Walter

stamper

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 05:55:33 am »

Rhossyd wants to.  Images that have been edited show up as such. They can be selected and exported?

Walter_temp

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 06:11:20 am »

Rhossyd wants to.

I doubt but it doesn't matter. Let him speak and act for himself. I think he is able to do both very well and able to master LR, too.
I suppose your intentions are good but you are not helping here. I don't want to be rude but your knowledge in LR seems to be very limited.

Ciao, Walter

stamper

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 06:18:01 am »

How much knowledge do I need to learn before I can post on the subject? I am here to learn and if I can get replies to my posts then I may learn more? I won't however learn anything about manners from your good self? :) ;) BTW I agree with the thrust of your post # 46if you read the thread from the beginning
so your patronising tone is misplaced? :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:29:02 am by stamper »

Walter_temp

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 06:35:13 am »

Have you tried to create a second or third catalog in LR 3? You can create as many as you like and free disk space is available.
If done so, import some photos.
Do some manipulations without tone curve settings. Do some other photos with tone curve settings.
Export your catalog and import it to LR 4. See what happens and compare to LR3.

-> You learned something.

It's called empiricism = experience/experiment and evidence.
Your approach seems to be more like scholasticism.

Ciao, Walter

stamper

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:00 am »

I have done all that Walter and there was a difference. The difference was that I had a preset in LR3 that was General Zeroed and one created in LR4. As you KNOW there is a difference in the Zeroed settings - as well as all the sliders - between the two programs. My intention is to leave alone all the catalogues created in LR3 - not many - and create new ones for LR4. This means no problems between the processing. I may even know more than you think I do? ;)

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:50 am »

That's my experience here.Except the lens calibration settings are updated to the new process regardless. Not sure what impact that might have on some users.

There are no process-specific lens calibration settings. 

Perhaps you can clarify what you mean?
Eric Chan

Rhossydd

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »

There are no process-specific lens calibration settings. 
Perhaps you can clarify what you mean?
Process 2010 has variable chromatic aberration options, 2012 is either on or off. So the panel options are different.
I'm sure Adobe's position is that the new process is all you need, but I have read of some criticism of the new system. So that enforced change to a 2012 option may not be universally appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up