Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LR3 to LR4 upgrade catogue issues.  (Read 15862 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: LR3 to LR4 upgrade catogue issues.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:03 am »

You're wrong

Unquote

Nobody here can be certain of anything? So your remark is unjustified.
No it's not, I've got the product here in front of me I can see what's happening. Have you got a copy of LR4 final installed and running with a legacy catalogue ? Are you seeing something different from what I've described ?

stamper

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 06:44:32 am »

I have just backed up a catalogue from LR3 and opened it in LR4. On the image at the bottom right there is a symbol which
 I clicked and this warning came up.

New processing technology is available for this image. If you choose to update, please note that moderate to significant
visual changes may occur. It is recommended that you update only one image at a time until you are familiar with the new
 processing technology. You may elect to preserve the original settings by selecting Cancel.

I tried a screen capture but the warning couldn't be captured. I think this lets Adobe off the hook? I had also a default pre set In LR3
 which was different to LR4 and when I clicked on them in History then there were differences. BTW I was doing this before I read
your post.

Rhossydd

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 06:54:26 am »

I think this lets Adobe off the hook?
No.
Things will change when updating to the new process, fair enough we all expect that and that's a choice we make when updating 2010 process images to the new process.
What's unacceptable is if LR4 is changing how process 2010 images look without the user having any choice. In the case of loosing tone curves that's pretty significant. Changing the lens lens calibration process is slightly different; It's unexpected, probably less significant, but there has been some criticism of the new CA tool that might make some users unhappy about having to use it in LR4.

stamper

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 07:48:04 am »

You have a choice. Don't do it. You can't have your cake and eat it? Back up your catalogues and update the copy and if it is to your liking accept it. What is it about the need to keep your original tones?They aren't set in stone. You can't please everyone all of the time and Adobe can't. Wait and see what Adobe does about it. I think they won't see it as a problem because they have warned users.

Ch-Jaeger

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:56 am »

Its not about upgrading to the new processing.  If you choose to keep an image in the 2010 (LR3) version , LR4 will still change the rendering because it will alter the tone curve. Thats not expected behaviour and is a serious bug, not a feature. It completely destroyes any work previously made.

Imagine you have 100.000 Images and LR 4 will change all of them without the user having any choice. You have to re edit all of those images if you want them to look like you originally intended.

Your other choice is to start a new catalog with LR 4 and use 2 versions of LR simultaniously which is total BS worflow-wise.

I think what you miss is that you images change even if you click cancel on the warning message.

stamper

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 08:00:36 am »

stamper

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:42 am »

>I think what you miss is that you images change even if you click cancel on the warning message.

When you import an image is your history not available to revert to?

This thread in another Lightroom forum makes sense?

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14872-Lightroom-4-and-lightroom-3-on-same-computer
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:13:12 am by stamper »

stamper

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 08:34:26 am »

I went to one of the catalogues that was created By LR3.6 and clicked on the Ircat and open with ..... it wanted to open in LR4 with the upgrade warning. Went again to open with and browsed for Program files and located the exe for LR3.6 and it wanted to update the catalogue to LR4. It wouldn't open
in LR3.6. That is strange? When I start LR3.6 and a Ircat created with 3.6 then no problem.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:36:53 am by stamper »

Rhossydd

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 08:39:17 am »

When you import an image is your history not available to revert to?
The history record is there of placing custom curve points, but the curve itself and where those points were has gone.

stamper

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:27 am »

That would be because that the new process is different? Are you using a neutral preset to begin processing as to the settings that Adobe set? There are obviously conflicts between the old and new and only Adobe can come out with a clear unambiguous statement outlining the "problem".
 Has XMP settings got something to do with it?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:03:31 am by stamper »

Rhossydd

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:48 am »

That would be because that the new process is different?
<sigh> The new process shouldn't impact on old images imported into LR4, what problems are you having grasping this concept ?

stamper

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:21 am »

They are two different programs in reality with respect to processing? None of us has the answers so best to keep an open mind? As an experiment I tried to open in LR3.6 a catalogue created in LR4 and it wouldn't open it stating it was too new. If there was compatibility between the two then it should/could have opened it?

Rhossydd

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:14 am »

They are two different programs in reality with respect to processing?
Yes, that's the whole point.
As an experiment I tried to open in LR3.6 a catalogue created in LR4 and it wouldn't open it stating it was too new. If there was compatibility between the two then it should/could have opened it?
No, it a catalogue for the new program. That will have new options and the database format inside the file will be different to previous catalogue versions to accommodate the new features. There's no compatibility claimed for moving backwards from LR4 which is why it's important to have back ups and not just launch into upgrades without the ability to return to a known working set up.

stamper

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:55 am »

Then does that not apply when moving from LR3.6 to LR4?

Rhossydd

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:27 am »

Then does that not apply when moving from LR3.6 to LR4?
Yes, that's why you have to upgrade the 3x catalogue to version 4.

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:05 am »

Thanks Costas, that did the trick. For some reason LR4 defaulted to Bridge Color Labels whereas my LR3 was set to Lightroom Color Labels default.

Costas

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:52 am »

Thanks Costas, that did the trick. For some reason LR4 defaulted to Bridge Color Labels whereas my LR3 was set to Lightroom Color Labels default.

You welcome - pleased the solution worked for you

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 10:51:22 am »

There is an issue with custom point curves during the Lr 3 --> Lr 4 process not being preserved.  We (Adobe) are investigating that.  My understanding is that if you had left the point curve at its default value in Lr 3 (e.g., Medium Contrast for raw, Linear for non-raw), then there is no issue.

No other image settings are affected.
Eric Chan

Rhossydd

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:58 am »

My understanding is that if you had left the point curve at its default value in Lr 3 (e.g., Medium Contrast for raw, Linear for non-raw), then there is no issue.
That's my experience here.
No other image settings are affected.
Except the lens calibration settings are updated to the new process regardless. Not sure what impact that might have on some users.

IanScicluna

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 05:44:13 pm »

Yes, that's why you have to upgrade the 3x catalogue to version 4.

And pray, how would you do that exactly?

I'm hoping Michael and Jeff will explain how to migrate the Lr3 catalogue to Lr4, but the
video files are taking ages to download.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up