Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA231W profiling  (Read 3238 times)

graeme

NEC PA231W profiling
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:35:40 am »

My monitor quest continues....

The Nec PA231W is my preferred choice at the moment

http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/en/products/details/dp/Products/LCD/Current/LCD-PA231W/LCD-PA231W.xhtml

It's the right price for me and it seems to offer all the performance I need ( sRGB gamut is OK ). It gets a good write up at TFT Central ( which seems like a very useful site ):

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_pa231w.htm

What I could use is some informed opinion about the best way of profiling this display.

I'm using Coloreyes display Pro on my present monitor but I'm not sure how well it'll work with the NEC. I've tried posting on the Coloreyes forum but my account has been deactivated because I've updated my details. ( And they don't seem to want to reactivate it ).

The other options as far as I can tell are:

Nec's Multiprofiler:
http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/en/products/accessories/details/dp/Products/LCD/Shared/Accessories/Current/DesktopDOptions-MultiProfilerSoftware/DesktopDOptions-MultiProfilerSoftware.xhtml?cat=LCD

BasicColor

and the Spectaview 2 software available on NEC's US site

It seems that my DTP94 puck will work with these options which is one piece of good news.

Other than that I've given myself a headache.

Any advice welcome.

Graeme

howardm

Re: NEC PA231W profiling
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:24:58 am »

The Multiprofiler s/w doesn't use a puck (I think it interacts w/ the built-in factory data) and the Spectraview is certainly the 'right' way of doing it (and its the cheapest of the paid alternatives) although if you move away from NEC monitors, you would have to fall back on CEDP.  BasIIColor is great and it does everything (including NEC hardware LUTs) but it's around 2x the price and it's per-CPU licensed. 

graeme

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:02:30 am »

Thanks Howard

That's just the kind of information I need.

Graeme

howardm

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:31:33 am »

Since you seem to be in the UK (sometimes I'm not too smart ;) ), I believe that the european version of Spectraview s/w is nothing more than rebadged BasICColor (ie. the version you get is not at all the version we US folks get) and there is a bunch of confusion as to whether you can get the US version or if it will even work w/ a euro. spec'd PA monitor (geographic zone control ala DVDs).

There have been a number of previous threads on this topic

Ethan_Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18:36 pm »

ColorEyes will work with the PA231, although it does not have DDC capability to control the hardware. NEC uses their own version of the DDC "standard" which they have only shared with BasICColor. Howard is correct in that the European version of Spectraview is rebranded BasICColor Display. Your choices:

• Use CEDP. It works, but not having control over the hardware LUTs leads to less optimal results than using DDC.
  • Purchase the euro-spec SpectraView (it's arguably a better performer than the US version). I'm unsure if they have upgraded the engine the BasICColor 5 yet. Pros: works on any euro-spec NEC panel, not tied to a single computer. Con: Only calibrates NEC monitors - only a problem if you own other brands.
  • Purchase BC Display 5 (Euro version). Pros: Works exceptionally well, can calibrate any monitor - not just NEC. Con: Tied to a single computer.
  • Purchase BC Display 5 (US version). When installing, answer "No" when asked if you are in the US. Doing so gives identical functionality to the euro version. Only recommended if the price is less than the Euro version.

Your DTP-94 is still an ideal puck to measure standard-gamut screens.

howardm

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:11:50 pm »

just some more BC info....

At least in version 4, the installation 'Are you in the USA' question is about whether the software will offer gamma 2.2 or L*
In version 5, I'm 97% sure they allow either w/o that silly install time question (I have it but forget)

You can always change the per-cpu license (I'm sure there's a  fee) and you can also add another cpu to the license for
an addiitonal fee.

graeme

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:43:38 am »

Since you seem to be in the UK (sometimes I'm not too smart ;) ), I believe that the european version of Spectraview s/w is nothing more than rebadged BasICColor (ie. the version you get is not at all the version we US folks get) and there is a bunch of confusion as to whether you can get the US version or if it will even work w/ a euro. spec'd PA monitor (geographic zone control ala DVDs).

There have been a number of previous threads on this topic

They aren't making it simple. I can find a link to download the Spectraview software from the US site but am loath to buy it only to find that it won't work on a european display.

I've looked at some of the other threads. They mostly seem to relate to higher end displays ( aRGB ) than the 231 and I wasn't sure if I'd have different issues to contend with so I started this thread.

Thanks

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:08:46 am »

ColorEyes will work with the PA231, although it does not have DDC capability to control the hardware. NEC uses their own version of the DDC "standard" which they have only shared with BasICColor. Howard is correct in that the European version of Spectraview is rebranded BasICColor Display. Your choices:

• Use CEDP. It works, but not having control over the hardware LUTs leads to less optimal results than using DDC.
  • Purchase the euro-spec SpectraView (it's arguably a better performer than the US version). I'm unsure if they have upgraded the engine the BasICColor 5 yet. Pros: works on any euro-spec NEC panel, not tied to a single computer. Con: Only calibrates NEC monitors - only a problem if you own other brands.
  • Purchase BC Display 5 (Euro version). Pros: Works exceptionally well, can calibrate any monitor - not just NEC. Con: Tied to a single computer.
  • Purchase BC Display 5 (US version). When installing, answer "No" when asked if you are in the US. Doing so gives identical functionality to the euro version. Only recommended if the price is less than the Euro version.

Your DTP-94 is still an ideal puck to measure standard-gamut screens.

Thanks for the info Ethan

I've been using CEDP with a 2007 apple Cinema Display quite happily so maybe I'll try it on the NEC and see if it's good enough for my needs.

I can't find the Euro spec verion of  SpectraView on the UK site - only a link to the Spectraview series of displays.

BC is starting to sound like an attractive option, I'll probably give the trial version a go.

I emailed NEC ' support' a couple of weeks ago with this question:

'Hi

I'm considering purchasing a PA231W display:

http://www.nec-display-solutions.co.uk/p/uk/en/products/details/dp/Products/LCD/Current/LCD-PA231W/LCD-PA231W.xhtml

I'm profiling my current display using an x-rite DTP94 sensor and Coloreyes Display Pro software. Is this set up compatible with NEC displays. If not, can you recommend any other options.'

and ended up having a brief conversation with a guy who had never heard of CEDP and seemed mostly interest in selling me a more expensive display.

Different profiling software depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on for displays made by the same multinational company, in the age of the internet and the global economy - what's that all about? ???

Rant over. It sounds like a good display. Just have to get the purchase approved now...

Regards

Graeme

Ethan_Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:46 am »

The differing versions of BasICColor were due to licensing and patent restrictions. They (BC) did not have a license from Integrated Color to use L* gamma in US products. NEC also appeared to be protecting the US market as US-install versions of BC Display did not support DDC on NEC monitors. At least in the US, NEC behaves as if their high-end displays are only a selling tool for SpectraView. Taking a page from Nikon's book, apparently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up