Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hp Z3200 Glossy Enhancer  (Read 2501 times)

exposestudios

Hp Z3200 Glossy Enhancer
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »

Hello,

I was wondering how many HP "Z" users have noticed how easily the glossy enhancer scratches off, especially when used on glossy paper?  Is there a fix for this? 
Any help is greatly appreciated

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Hp Z3200 Glossy Enhancer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:32 am »

Which gloss paper did you use?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

exposestudios

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:04 am »

Hi,
I used HP Premium glossy 260gsm paper (42x100). I use Inkpress lustre for all my usual production and the enhancer can still be scuffed, but nowhere near as easily as the Hp glossy roll. I have a client that demands glossy's in volume and it makes me nervous that the glossy enhancer is so prone to scuffs. I guess it's not RA4 after all, but if there is a solution, I'm ready to give it a try.
Thanks,
Dan

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:51:08 am »

The HP Premium Glossy, is that not an RC paper for the Vivera dye inks like used in the HP Designjet 130 ?  If so that surface may not create a bond. Just a guess.

I wouldn't say it acts like a varnish, it is not that hard, but on the HP Premium Instant Dry Satin and Gloss the bond is quite good, as good as the inks. On Ilford IGSPP II and the Epson Proofing White no issue either.

Shareware too:

artobest

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:55:33 am »

Hmm, I agree with Ernst - never had an issue with the Gloss Enhancer. Depends what you're scratching it with, I suppose.

exposestudios

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:41 am »

Thank you for the replies.  Ernst, you may be correct on the HP Q7995A glossy paper, its not specifically designed for pigment inks.  I liked the weight of the paper, at 260gsm its close to RA4, but thats not as important as how it accepts the glossy enhancer.  I'll give the hp every day gloss a try as you recommended.  I don't expect that the inkjet prints will be as durable as traditional prints, but my results with glossy paper were concerning.  The Inkpress Lustre, however, was pretty good and after re-checking the specs on the paper, it seems that its specifically designed for pigment inks. 
Once again, thanks for good and relevant info.

Dan

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »

Hello Dan,

I must say i never had this problem…It stays s good as the ink is my idea.
I guess Ernst is right.
Mind you, for really glossy paper you have tot turn to dye ink I suppose, but the ones i used and like best are all from HP

HP Everyday Pigment Ink Gloss Photo Paper
 HP Premium Instant-dry Gloss Photo Paper
and
HP Contract proof paper gloss

but to be honest I do not like them really just for testing…

for real prints I use usually

HP Professional Satin Photo Paper   ....   but that is semi glossy

As you see the printer was announced that you could use every paper and calibrate it, but in the end only the HP papers work best with the gloss….

to Ernst:
what is       Ilford IGSPP II   ?

I would have liked the gloss worked good on the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk Paper but that is not the case… ( or am i doing something wrong?)
The only inkjet paper i know that really smells like a dark room…
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »

to Ernst:
what is       Ilford IGSPP II   ?

Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl Paper II, an RC paper. 280 grams and the OBAs mainly in the paper base. Since about 2 years this is a new version, the old version shifted its paper white in Aardenburg testing within 90 Megalux Hours. The HP Pro Satin did not better. I do not use the Ilford often, in hindsight I should have bought the Canon Heavyweight Satin.

The HP Gloss Enhancer does not deliver even gloss and does not suppress bronzing on more papers. The latest Canon pigment inks like used in the iPF8300 seem to bring best gloss of all without even using a gloss enhancer.

Shareware too:

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 02:41:17 am »

Thank you for the replies.  Ernst, you may be correct on the HP Q7995A glossy paper, its not specifically designed for pigment inks.

Checked the number. That is the HP Premium Instant Dry Gloss which should be compatible with Vivera pigment inks and I use that from time to time. It is in the default media presets of both the Z3100 and Z3200. I have no issues with the gloss enhancer. Maybe a bad batch then.

Shareware too:

brianrybolt

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:32 am »

I have used at least 6 rolls of HP Premium Instant Dry Satin and one roll of HP Premium Instant Dry Gloss and have never had a problem with the gloss enhancer. 

Brian

MonsterBaby

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 11:50:03 am »

same here. no probs at all with the instant dry papers.

but i used to have the DJ130 before.. and there was NO chance at all to use some left over premium paper with the Z series. absolutely not compatible

scott2012

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:10:00 pm »

I used HP Premium glossy 260gsm paper (42x100).
Pages: [1]   Go Up