Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failing Light  (Read 2567 times)

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
Failing Light
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:03 pm »

I took this photo near the Pshagshak state recreation site on Kodiak a couple months ago. The Light was quickly going away and as the sun sank lower it lit up the peaks of the mountains with a warm light that contrasted nicely with the cool colors in the shadows. I also made a 3 image panorama of this scene but the stitching has been tough because of the partially submerged tree in the foreground so i like this one better. Let me know what you think! as always, constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

rambler44

Re: Failing Light
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »

I like this photo best when you crop out all the foreground, but the reflection in the water.  I understand that close objects in foregrounds help give a sense of depth, but I think in this case it just pulls the eye away from the reflection and mountains.  You might also try to clone out the tops of branches creeping in on the left side, maybe just replace it with the water.

To get a quick look at what I mean, just scroll down here until the clear water at the bottom of the reflection is the bottom of the photo.

Overall, I really like the color or light in this image.  You were obviously in a beautiful spot.

AJMorris

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:22 am »

I like this photo best when you crop out all the foreground, but the reflection in the water. 
Thanks for the suggestion. i do see what you mean. Ill go back to the original and try cropping. i may have taken this one in landscape rather than portrait also ill have to check.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson

rambler44

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:22:28 am »

AJ, if you do decide you like the shot you first posted best,I think you have doe a nice job with capturing the depth of field. You have a nice focus front to back.  If you had used the bottom of the reflection as the bottom of your image, you would have had to raise your camera which in turn would have included more sky and maybe you did not want to do that. 

My cropping suggestion comes from many photo I have seen with mountains reflected over calm water with only the water in the foreground.  Your original view might well be your first choice, so stay with it.  I just wanted you to view another option.

It would have been fun to stand at your spot and watch the light change over the mountains all the way until dark.

AJMorris

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »

Thanks Rambler. I have a habit of including something in the foreground very close to the camera when shooting with a wide angle because I like having something with a large amount of detail or texture that is really sharp. For me personally I like having intimate detail up close, i feel it helps draw my gaze further into the composition. in this case i tried to use the partially submerged tree and bits of floating snow to accomplish this but in retrospect im not sure there was enough there to justify this composition as you suggested. Sometimes it takes a little help to see that so thank you! Also it was pretty awesome watching the changing light at this scene. In the winter up here the light changes so fast. when i took this we were only getting about 4.5 hours of light per day. to watch the clear bright light fade to a warm glow and finally twilight was a spectacle in itself.

lorenzettifoto

• Andrea Lorenzetti photographer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:26:31 am »

I'm have to disagree with you. I think your image is indeed quite strong,  include something in the foreground helps to attract my attention most in the composition, but I would try to remove the branches, I feel that my look go back many to see them

Brad Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:56 am »

I like the shot pretty much as is, although if you have a landscape version it might be interesting to see as well. I am not so much bothered by the branches on the left side of the image, but more so by the ones at the bottom, covering the snow. If you remove those, the snow would make a nice lower boundary and bounce the eye back into the main part of the image. The light is beautiful.

AJMorris

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:20 pm »

If that "something" is so visually interesting that it would be worthy of a photograph all by itself, otherwise it's just a habit.
Indeed, that is why I said "I have a habit". I catch myself doing it without thinking. In some cases i agree that this visually interesting thing is worthy of a picture all by itself but why not use it to help enhance a landscape? I feel that it helps add a little something to an otherwise boring composition is many cases.
Pages: [1]   Go Up