Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MacBookPro Display Advice  (Read 1460 times)

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
New MacBookPro Display Advice
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:17:41 am »

Hi

Do measurements show the high res anti glare screens have a better gamut than the standard res glossy screens?

I want to replace my 2008 MBP 15" and not sure which to go for, probably the 17" this time.

I have spent so much time looking at the screens
15" standard res gloss vs. 15" high res matt vs. 17" high res matt

Of course none of the screens are calibrated in the local Apple store and just wondered how they performed when calibrated. Totally confused ???

Of course I use a second monitor for all of my work 95% of the time. But it just for those times when a client calls when you are on the move and needs an urgent image emailed etc.

Many thanks.

chrismurphy

Re: New MacBookPro Display Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:20 pm »

IMO calibration of a laptop display is next to irrelevant. For most people, a mobile device is in such variable ambient conditions, you'd need constant calibration for it to matter. For a handful of people, you'll calibration in a dual display situation, so that white points are similar to avoid partial chromatic adaptation. In any case the gamuts will be different in such a case, but at least the white points won't differ too much and be distracting as a result.

The biggest issue is not one of gamut, but veiling glare. It is monstrously higher at certain angles with a glossy screen. As in, on an airplane or train where you don't have the ability to close a window shade, or a window shade that lets even a little light in, or a reading light that's just at that particular angle you have your laptop display angled to reflect (unintentionally). The display literally can be useless at those angles the glare is so bad. But if the glare is controlled, yeah the display looks great, and most people like that glossy high contrast look. But if you're even remotely concerned about actually using the display for images, I think you're going to want the matte version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up