Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back for Mamiya 645AFD (first release model)  (Read 11305 times)

AlastairMoore

• http://serialphotography.com
Digital back for Mamiya 645AFD (first release model)
« on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:34 pm »

Hey all,

I've done a little bit of searching but so far failed to find the information I'm looking for. I've just bought a Mamiya 645AFD and will at some point be looking for a digital back for it. I understand the first release isn't totally compatible with new digital backs. Is this correct or should it work with most/any digital backs available at the moment? If anyone could recommend an "entry level" back, that would be great. I'm purely a hobby-est photographer so certainly don't need the latest and greatest (and most expensive!).

Cheers,

Alastair

amsp

Re: Digital back for Mamiya 645AFD (first release model)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:10:33 am »

The AFD (D stands for digital) works perfectly with any Mamiya mount back, the first model you are thinking of is the AF which needs to go to Mamiya for upgrade before you can use it with a digital back. As far as which back to get just buy the best you can afford really, but I'd recommend anything 22MP and above.

ondebanks

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:57:55 am »

The AFD (D stands for digital) works perfectly with any Mamiya mount back, the first model you are thinking of is the AF which needs to go to Mamiya for upgrade before you can use it with a digital back. As far as which back to get just buy the best you can afford really, but I'd recommend anything 22MP and above.

+1. Even dealers selling the very latest backs recommend the original AFD as an inexpensive backup body for those backs. You should have no worries about compatibility.

I shoot digital+film with the AFD and would not upgrade to the AFD II or III. The DF, maybe, but I'd still want the AFD as well for film.

Ray

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46:44 am »

What they all said is true. The Mamiya ZD is an excellent back, it runs between 3500-5000 USD used now in excellent condition, and because of its beautiful larger sensor, it will kick the ass of photos taken with a D800. Also the IR cut filter in front of the sensor is easily removable if infrared photography is your thing. But as said, it will play nice with all PhaseOne and Leaf backs. The PhaseOne P30+ is also worth a look if long exposure is your thing, I believe it can hit up to an hour (then with an hour to process the image)...
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

AlastairMoore

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »

Thanks very much for your help guys. I'll have to check the Ebay for some of your suggestions.

Just out of interest, is there any significant differences between the various AFD models? I did find a link to Mamiya PDF with a comparison but since Mamiya have updated their website, most links to anything AFD have disappeared entirely including that comparison PDF.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:44:15 pm »

I know there is a difference, my backup is a AFD first version as well, and I know it doesn't accept some of the newer lenses, notably the LS lenses, (there might be an upgrade for this, I don't know), and I don't believe it accepts the V-grip air. But functionality wise, the newer ones may have some more updated metering or autofocus system type things, but I do not believe there is any compelling difference between the models. I could be wrong though.

AlastairMoore

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:51:36 pm »

Oh well, that's nothing to worry about. I shoot landscape and am mostly shooting fully manual with an external spot meter in the field so nothing there is of concern.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 05:52:24 pm »

Thanks very much for your help guys. I'll have to check the Ebay for some of your suggestions.

Just out of interest, is there any significant differences between the various AFD models? I did find a link to Mamiya PDF with a comparison but since Mamiya have updated their website, most links to anything AFD have disappeared entirely including that comparison PDF.

Hi Alastair -

There are quite a few differences from AFD > AFD-II, including:

- Mirror up button moved from side of camera to user button by exposure mode dial
- Self Timer moved from User Button to Shutter Release Mode Selector
- Many Custom Functions introduced with the AFD-II

I'm sure there are some other changes as well... I don't see any issue regarding use with digital backs between AFD or AFD-II, III, DF, etc. It is the AF without the D you have to be aware of. Schneider Leaf Shutter lenses and the V Grip Air are not compatible with any AFD bodies pre-DF (AFD, AFD-II, AFD-III).

I have the original PDF manuals for each camera if you like Alastair, just let me know.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:53:52 pm »

I don't foresee you having any limiitations from my experience if this is the way you work. Although, honestly, I have only shot my AFD with film, and have kept my IQ180 on the 645DF. Not sure if those AFD to AFD II changes would greatly benefit you

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:39:30 pm »

You can find most of the stuff here
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up