Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fashion/Beauty AA Filter (d800 or d800e)  (Read 1919 times)

orc73

Fashion/Beauty AA Filter (d800 or d800e)
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:30 pm »

Hi all

hope you had a great weekend :)

Still I did not find a guideline about when to go for the d800e. Currently I have a d700.
I shot with Hasselblad already and PhaseOne, both without AA Filter(I prefered the hasselblad though), and many fashion photographers do.

What do you recommend for this kind of photography and commercial?

best regards

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Fashion/Beauty AA Filter (d800 or d800e)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:57:37 pm »

My guess would be that many fashion photographers like to work with MF for reasons other than pure resolution. Since all MFDB lack AA filters, there has been no choice really. Most like the micro-detail and crispiness delivered by these sensors when perfect focus is reached, I feel that many are less happy about moire.

So if you believe that the D800/D800E meets your needs, I don't really see any reason why would you want to go for the D800E to shoot fashion.

In my view proper technique and focusing will be 10 times more relevant than the small gain of accutance that the E version will deliver... but the time lost in post processing to correct possible moire problems might make the cost huge over a few years (depending on how much you value your time of course  ;)).

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:59:55 pm by BernardLanguillier »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »

Very well said Bernard. Workflow is more important than microscopic improvements in detail. Besides $300 is good money to put up for a vertical grip. If your main photography is natural landscapes, the E Model is the one. I wish so much Nikon would clone the Canon's 24 and 17 TS's!
Eduardo

My guess would be that many fashion photographers like to work with MF for reasons other than pure resolution. Since all MFDB lack AA filters, there has been no choice really. Most like the micro-detail and crispiness delivered by these sensors when perfect focus is reached, I feel that many are less happy about moire.

So if you believe that the D800/D800E meets your needs, I don't really see any reason why would you want to go for the D800E to shoot fashion.

In my view proper technique and focusing will be 10 times more relevant than the small gain of accutance that the E version will deliver... but the time lost in post processing to correct possible moire problems might make the cost huge over a few years (depending on how much you value your time of course  ;)).

Cheers,
Bernard

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:30:48 pm by uaiomex »

ziocan

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:51:30 am »

These days ,  is less than an issue which people that do not work in fashion tend to believe.
Sometimes certain clients do not even bother to get it removed. I have seen a Borgdoff Goodman catalogue were moire was not even removed in some images. It was very minimal, but it was there. So it was not the case that they di not spot it. Probably they though that the remedy would have been less appealing than a bit of moiree.

Beside, most of recent cameras and digital backs rarely produce moiree. If they do, it is normally very minimal and not so time consuming to remove as some may think.
I have shot fashion with a phase p30 ( no aa filter) for 3 years and I never had moiree issue.

If I will buy a D800 a would likely get the E model.

On the eventuality that I would be shooting a stokings catalogue or ad, or some polyester clothing, it is very likely I would be doing it tethered. Normally one of the tasks that the computer boy has to perform, is to check for artifacts while we are shooting. If they spot moiree, just move the camera a little.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:56:34 am by ziocan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up