Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blocked Entrance  (Read 3581 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Blocked Entrance
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 04:54:10 pm »

Sorry Dave,

I am with Rob,

The crop is a shocker.  Perhaps clone out the shadow if it is a distraction but the pavement provides a base to the wall and places it all more in context.

The real trick is to see the final crop when you are shooting and make it all final from the start.

Cheers,

W

OK everyone fair doos  ::)  I am big enough to say that I might be wrong this time and yes I would have also preferred the shot with some side walk in front of it, to allow the viewer to travel into the image, but I seemed to get stuck on the shadow rather than looking at the rest of the image, so thought it might help the composition by cropping it out. But as everyone here also seems to agree, it is better to crop in the camera and to achieve this, I would have walked further into the shot (waiting for the traffic to leave enough time for me to do so of course), to find a composition that removed the shadow but also made more of the side walk without a shadow, but perhaps that is just my style of working.

Dave

tom w

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 05:26:20 pm »

Tom,

I am about to purchase a Fuji X100 precisely for this kind of shooting.  I'd be curious to learn your opinion of how suited the camera is for this.

Despite comments regarding cropping this remains a wonderful piece of urban eccentricity which is a recurring theme for me.

W

I am thoroughly enjoying the X100. Many people complain about navigating the menus and slow auto-focus, but this has not been an issue for me. Most of the subjects I shoot with it are not going to move and I have the camera set-up the way I prefer and do not have to mess much with menus. I find the IQ to be really good. I can take it anywhere. And for me the fixed lens is more liberating than limiting. If I want a choice of focal lengths I can go to my K5.

WalterEG

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »

It seems we a re like peas in a pod Tom,

Even my trusty 5D which I have had since its release has only ever been set to RAW, M, and manual Kº.  I only use the centre AF point.  Menus may be important to some, but not me.  And as you say, the ability to see the world largely in terms of a single field of view is indeed liberating.

Comforting to know I am not alone.

W
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up