Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blocked Entrance  (Read 3574 times)

tom w

Blocked Entrance
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »

Nothing special, but I couldn't pass it by.

WalterEG

Re: Blocked Entrance
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:58 am »

Perfect timing for the light.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:48:39 am »

Hi Tom,

Nice image with very nice pastel tones and please forgive me for the small crop I have applied to your image, but I think by removing the slightly distracting shadow on the lower part of the image, it will allow the viewer to concentrate on the main content of the image, rather than getting stuck by following the line of the shadow from left to right and back again.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:55:13 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

tom w

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:32:21 am »

Dave,
I think your crop is the right thing to do. This image is cropped from a slightly larger pic. I wanted to give some locale context to the image by leaving in bit of the sidewalk, but I agree the shadow is distracting.
Thanks.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »

Excuse me for being the odd sonofabitch out again, but I think that by removing that dark shadow of the lamp at the foot, you've killed the image dead. It says nothing now. It just floats weakly in space - hung on the wall, so to speak.

The first one had balls; this V.2 hasn't.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »

Sorry Dave,

I am with Rob,

The crop is a shocker.  Perhaps clone out the shadow if it is a distraction but the pavement provides a base to the wall and places it all more in context.

The real trick is to see the final crop when you are shooting and make it all final from the start.

Cheers,

W

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:49:02 pm »

Croppers almost always come a cropper.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

tom w

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:42:43 pm »

This is the image as it came out of ACR.
I didn't have a lot of time with this shot because I had to step out into the middle of a fairly busy street to make it.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »

I like the first version a lot. Engaging and humorous.
Scott

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 04:14:19 am »

I think that if you work up this third version (the complete shot) you'll probably get the best picture of the set.

As Russ indicated, the uncropped shot is often the best because it's what attracted the shooter in the first place. Having said that, if you use a cellphone in sunshine, cropping becomes de rigueur snce it's the only way to remove the guesswork!

;-)

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:30:39 am »

Guesswork, Rob?  No guess work with mine.

I always crop in the camera and frankly I far prefer the full shot.  It is more descriptive to me whereas the crop becomes a catalogue shot.

Just my $0.20¢

W

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 04:31:42 am »

I agree with Rob and Russ; the crop removes the wall from its surroundings pretty much completely. I don't even agree that the shadow is a distraction. For me, it frames the shot at the bottom and keeps the eye inside.

Jeremy

popnfresh

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 06:59:22 am »

I also prefer the uncropped shot, which places the storefront in its context. I only wish there was something more interesting on the sidewalk than a shadow.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:16:36 am »

Guesswork, Rob?  No guess work with mine.

I always crop in the camera and frankly I far prefer the full shot.  It is more descriptive to me whereas the crop becomes a catalogue shot.

Just my $0.20¢

W

My cell's a Samsung Galaxy Ace - aka S5830, and  I can assure you that outdoors, in the usual sunshine, it's impossible to see much of anything at all. Shooting into the light, the only indication I have of content is where I can pick up some highlight on the sea, and I extrapolate content sideways and vertically from there, which since I'm always guessing the acceptance angle of the thing, isn't a huge help.  It's perfectly ok indoors, but definitely not so most of the time outside. Ironic, since it has a lovely big sreen! I'd have imagined (and did!) that shooting into the light, which means that the dark side of the world is behind one, would have made viewing acceptable, but no. These things need a viewfinder!

I don't like cropping, either - the result of much 35mm working.

;-)

Rob C

tom w

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:17 pm »

I'm not sure how cell phones came into this discussion. This was shot with an X100. I was driving by and it was the yellow store front which caught my eye. I parked near by and had to watch the traffic as I stood in the street. So, it was a quick couple of shots. This is the result of a little bit of straightening and a minimal crop.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 12:44:20 pm »

Cellphones: haven't you noticed? They ring all the time, everywhere you go.

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »

I'm not sure how cell phones came into this discussion.
If that's something you want this discussion to be about then comment on it; but if that's not something you want the discussion to be about then don't bring it up at all - doing so will just generate a bunch more comments about what you didn't want to discuss. (Like this one.)

WalterEG

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 04:26:55 pm »

Tom,

I am about to purchase a Fuji X100 precisely for this kind of shooting.  I'd be curious to learn your opinion of how suited the camera is for this.

Despite comments regarding cropping this remains a wonderful piece of urban eccentricity which is a recurring theme for me.

W

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:00 pm »

If that's something you want this discussion to be about then comment on it; but if that's not something you want the discussion to be about then don't bring it up at all - doing so will just generate a bunch more comments about what you didn't want to discuss. (Like this one.)

Getting there Isaac, getting there!

I'm typing wearing woollen gloves - don't ask - and it's very confusing for the fingers and also, I note, the keyboard.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »

Tom,

I am about to purchase a Fuji X100 precisely for this kind of shooting.  I'd be curious to learn your opinion of how suited the camera is for this.

Despite comments regarding cropping this remains a wonderful piece of urban eccentricity which is a recurring theme for me.

W

Walter, how many cameras does that make?

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up