Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gurus, advice re: monitor/CMS system for a newbie  (Read 2167 times)

NancyP

Gurus, advice re: monitor/CMS system for a newbie
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:44:04 pm »

Newbie amateur here - post #3- I am looking for advice from people who have worked with or at least seen said "less expensive" photo-editing-grade monitors and colorimeter/spectrometer + software systems. I posted in "computers and peripherals", which seems quiet-ish, but since this is essentially a CMS question, I am cross-posting.

I am buying my first good quality photo-editing monitor, and have no actual experience with CM, but have read articles and RWCM book (thank you Mr. Schewe!) to familiarize myself with concepts. I don't mind learning complex procedures and software if the ensuing output is significantly improved.  I am not near a store that carries photo-editing grade monitors, and will be relying on the experience of others when I will order said monitor and CMS hard/software.

My interests are in both color and in black and white fine-art printing, and in personal viewing of finished images on monitor. Wide gamut is appealing particularly for the latter use. Monitor calibration (colorimeter) and downloaded paper profiles are fine for printing for now, though eventually I might like to be able to profile printer/paper.

Existing computer:
MacBookPro 15" high-res (1650x1080), 2010, GeForceGT 330M with 512 MB DDR3, external monitor support of up to 2560 x 1600 pixels simultaneously with native monitor at full 1650x1080 pixels
No monitor or printer currently. Ideally I would like to have the photos on the external monitor and the menus, slider boxes, histogram, palette, etc on the perfectly adequate laptop monitor. Color management would be vital for the external monitor but less important for the laptop monitor.
Existing editing program: Lightroom 3.6 (and nearly untouched Photoshop CS5) (I am an academic, these programs are discounted heavily, I have used PS in past mostly for scientific image analysis, but really like LR3).

I would be willing to invest in a really good monitor (1920 x 1200 is fine) and appropriate CMS sensor/software system now for the next 5 years use, rather than get a stopgap. I don't expect to do video. I expect to spend $1,100.00 to $1,600.00 for monitor and CMS hard/software. Possibilities include:

1. Eizo SX2262W 22" PA monitor or Eizo SX2462W 24" IPS monitor with bundled EasyPix colorimeter and software
2. NEC PA241W 24" IPS monitor with bundled NEC colorimeter and Spectraview II software
3. LaCie 324i 24" IPS monitor with bundled BlueEye colorimeter and PE software
4. #1, #2, #3, replacing bundled CMS with ColorMunki spectrophotometer/software or some other 3rd party CMS
5. Eizo is discounting some of their older non-wide gamut high end monitors, now that they have gotten the self-calibrating Cadillac Eizos on the market. The prices are comparable to the NEC or Eizo SX2462W. The NEC standard (sRGB) gamut PA241 with bundled NEC CMS is considerably cheaper than its wide gamut counterpart.
6. Other options I may have missed?
Comments on quality, durability, ease of use?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Gurus, advice re: monitor/CMS system for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »

My vote is for the NEC since your budget allows for it and the Spectraview II software and colorimeter.  It's almost foolproof, but I'm not sure what display connections your MBP has.. you'd need a DP or DVI for the SVII software to assign the LUT to the monitor. 

I didn't know the PA241w came in an sRGB only version.  Are you sure you're not talking about the LCD2490uxi vs. the LCD2490uxi2?

In any case, the PA241w will serve you well if you find the screen big enough for your uses AND I'd highly recommend you use the SVII software and colorimeter. 
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:09:57 pm »

My MBP has mini-DP, so all that I would need is a compatible mini-DP to DP adapter. Checking out the current prices at B&H, if I stretch a bit, I could manage the 27" NEC PA271W with SpectraviewII puck and software. I can imagine that being able to display two image modifications side by side at decent size is very handy for making editing decisions, much better than switching back and forth. At first, the thought of 27" monitor seemed outlandish (I am still using a 22" CRT TV, and that seems big), at least on an ordinary desk, but now that I think about it - mmmm, want!

I found the sRGB NEC PA241 and the new aRGB Eizo Flexscan SX2762W reviewed recently on one or both of the monitor review sites (tftcentral or flatpanelshd). The Eizo 27" plus their puck/software is $170.00 more than the NEC 27" with SVII puck/software, and NEC is throwing in a free hood. NEC's product has been out for 1 - 2 years, and has happy users, whereas Eizo monitor is brand new, without track record.

NEC it is.

Thank you!

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »

My MBP has mini-DP, so all that I would need is a compatible mini-DP to DP adapter. Checking out the current prices at B&H, if I stretch a bit, I could manage the 27" NEC PA271W with SpectraviewII puck and software. I can imagine that being able to display two image modifications side by side at decent size is very handy for making editing decisions, much better than switching back and forth. At first, the thought of 27" monitor seemed outlandish (I am still using a 22" CRT TV, and that seems big), at least on an ordinary desk, but now that I think about it - mmmm, want!

I found the sRGB NEC PA241 and the new aRGB Eizo Flexscan SX2762W reviewed recently on one or both of the monitor review sites (tftcentral or flatpanelshd). The Eizo 27" plus their puck/software is $170.00 more than the NEC 27" with SVII puck/software, and NEC is throwing in a free hood. NEC's product has been out for 1 - 2 years, and has happy users, whereas Eizo monitor is brand new, without track record.

NEC it is.

Thank you!
Hi Nancy -

Don't spend more than you're comfortable with, but with that being said the PA271w is spectacular.  And with monitors the adage "bigger is better" really holds true.  At least if you have the physical room and depth on your desk.

Do you have the link for the PA241 sRGB version you mentioned?  There must be something with the way they wrote it.. but all the PA series are wide-gamut.

Wide-gamut isn't necessarily an advantage either.  If you use mostly commercial labs and/or post your images on the web, you'll want to be in sRGB anyway.  And NEC's sRGB emulation mode is great.  It basically clamps down the gamut to sRGB and doesn't let strays through.. which largely solves the issues you get with seeing different colors on the web than the image on your screen.   Yet, if you make your own prints or use a print service who uses ink jets and accepts adobe98 or Prophoto color spaces.. then the wide gamut is a plus.   The real plus is being able to go back and forth between the gamuts with a click of the mouse in just a few seconds without having to calibrate each time.

I'm partial to NEC.  They've treated me well.  They're also very easy to profile and apply.  I consider a hood mandatory.   I bought my current two NEC's in Bangkok and NEC was happy to transfer the warranty to the states when I moved back.  When I did have a problem they advance shipped a replacement.  It's hard to find fault with them.

On the other hand, if money is at issue, and it almost always is, there are some decent monitors such as the Dell U2711 (27 inch) for less money which are quite usable.  But.. the SVII software and external LUT makes the NEC's a lot.. much.. easier to use. 

Your mini-DP port is great.  Make sure you use a quality adapter or better yet, a one piece mini-DP to DP cable.  Because the NEC's use external LUT's (external to the PC) information needs to be passed back and forth between monitor and PC which is separate from the video information.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:46 pm »

Other people buy 46" or 60" TVs. I am happy with my low def 21" 15 year old CRT TV - it works ok for replaying DVDs and (gasp) VCR tapes (Yep, I still have bunches), and with my 15 year old car (only 106K miles, so I will be keeping it longer).

My vice will be the monitor, and later, the DIY printing. I want to enjoy my photos on screen, first of all. I do want to learn printing - in the film days, I had access to darkrooms for BW work, my first job was as a combo darkroom technician, research assistant, and mouse colony manager. I loved darkroom work, and have loved it since I was a 10 year old kid at camp with an old bakelite 120-using "Brownie) - it was magic. I have believed that an understanding of the post-capture process is part of the artistic process. The digital PP and printing learning curve doesn't faze me, because the learning is part of the fun.

I have a perfectly good commercial lab, have used them for 20+ years for this and that (mostly E-6 and high quality scanning and the occasional print for scientific publication), they offer and prefer aRGB over sRBG.

NEC has its own miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, $30.00. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/763126-REG/NEC_PA_MDP_CABL_6_6_Mini_DisplayPort_Male.html

For the moment, NEC is throwing in hoods with their PA###W monitors, and if they didn't, I'd be fiddling with black foamcore in no time.

As for the NEC sRGB PA241, I must have a faulty memory. I can't find it at B&H or at the UK and German monitor tech sites.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:41:17 pm »

You would be better off making your own hood anyway as the supplied versions don't seem to be big enough.
CMurph

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:34:36 pm »

As for the NEC sRGB PA241, I must have a faulty memory. I can't find it at B&H or at the UK and German monitor tech sites.
https://www.tftshop.net/product_info.php/products_id/1052

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:46:24 pm »

For the moment, NEC is throwing in hoods with their PA###W monitors, and if they didn't, I'd be fiddling with black foamcore in no time.

Maybe it was just the way it was written.  AFAIK all the PA series have sRGB emulation as well as wide gamut capabilities and not just sRGB.  The older LCD series did make this distinction, first starting as sRGB and then as the series matured adding wide gamut.

The hoods from NEC I think are great.  I'm using two LCD2690's side by side on a dual monitor stand and from the bits and pieces of two hood kits made one large hood.  Love it.  More, my parrot loves to perch up there and look over at what I'm doing.. keeps the dander in one place. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up