Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not My Usual Thing  (Read 1128 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Not My Usual Thing
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:10 pm »

Down here in Florida I don't often get time to get into town or over to St. Augustine or Tarpon Springs so I can shoot street, but I walk a section of the Palatlakaha river just about every morning and shoot, well, landscape (blush), and birds. A few days ago this sandhill crane posed for me. I've been trying to get an Anhinga on the wing all winter, and earlier this week I finally managed it -- four shots in a row, bang, bang, bang, bang. The first two were good enough to keep. These guys work really hard to stay in the air, so they're moving along as they go by.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Randy Carone

Re: Not My Usual Thing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »

Fine shot of the bird in flight.
Randy Carone

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:50:03 am »

Hi Russ,

Nice images - we have been to Florida and especially the Keys quite a few times over the years and really like it down there, the first time we went, we drove straight down from Miami airport, got out of the air conditioned car and were nearly knocked over by the heat and humidity. Then, like a pair of plonkers from the UK, we went and stood at the edge of a lagoon looking into the water to see what we could see and wondered why all the houses near by had large metal fencing around their gardens. A few days later we went to an alligator wildlife park, to be told never stand near the edge of a lagoon, because alligators sit just under the water waiting for something to appear, then leap out and drag you under, drown you and wedge you under a log to rot down a bit before eating you. I think because we in the UK have no life threatening animals any more, that when we go abroad, our brains are still stuck in safe UK mode.

Dave

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »

Dave, Check your leg. Did you feel a tugging sensation as the guy was talking to you? I don't mean to negate the guy's message of caution entirely, but it was a bit over the top. There's been the occasional very small child of a northerner eaten by a gator, and little dogs get eaten all the time, but we have more problems like that with cougars in the Rocky Mountains than with gators here in Florida.

A couple years ago on a guided tour through some Florida swamps the guide said this about alligators: "Alligators are stupid animals. They understand only two things: predators and prey. They think people are predators and stay away from them until someone feeds them; then they think people are prey." And that's why in Florida "A fed gator is a dead gator." Once they've been fed they have to be killed. Which is not to say you don't have to be careful around them, but they aren't the hazard some locals will claim if you're a visitor. I suspect most of the people with those fences you mentioned have dogs.

Last year my wife was working in her garden behind our house, with her back to the pond (which has no fences) when, as she says, she "felt a presence." She turned around, and a five-foot gator (a small one) had come out of the pond behind her and was sunning himself on the bank. As soon as she turned around the gator got scared and flipped back into the pond. Nowadays she tends to work facing the pond.

Several years ago I was riding my road bike on a Florida back road. I was doing about 20mph as I came over a little hill, and right in front of me, on the left side of the road, was a gator. There was no way I could stop in time, but he was heading back to a pond off the right side of the road and I figured I could just roll past behind him. But as soon as he saw me he stopped cold. I had to roll by right in front of him, and he opened his mouth wide as I went by. But it's clear he was at least as scared of me as I was of him.

But my wife has an even hairier story from Colorado. She often walks in Garden of the Gods early in the morning. One morning she was coming across a parking lot near a local tourist attraction when, again, as she says, she "felt a presence." She turned around, and a large cougar was standing about fifteen feet away, staring at her. Fortunately, the cat had just eaten, because his mouth was all bloody. She raised her arms to make her look bigger and backed away slowly. The cat turned and slunk off. Nowadays she walks a bit later in the day.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:48:02 am »

But my wife has an even hairier story from Colorado. She often walks in Garden of the Gods early in the morning. One morning she was coming across a parking lot near a local tourist attraction when, again, as she says, she "felt a presence." She turned around, and a large cougar was standing about fifteen feet away, staring at her. Fortunately, the cat had just eaten, because his mouth was all bloody. She raised her arms to make her look bigger and backed away slowly. The cat turned and slunk off. Nowadays she walks a bit later in the day.

Wow...!

We are thinking of going up to Jasper next year and the last time I was in Canada (Banff area) there was a cougar alert, but we never saw one thankfully, although I did end up stood about six feet away from a black bear and her three cubs. I was just stood there, early one morning taking pictures from the Ice field parkway overlook and she ambled up from the woods and into the edge of the car parking area just to the right of me, with her three cute little cubs in tow. She was munching grass and moving towards me as though she hadn't seen me, but when she got to within a few feet, she looked up and started grunting at me and stamping her feet in what I can only describe as a polite way of telling me to get the hell out of her way, so obviously I did and backed away and got back in the car. She continued munching and wandered off slowly back into the woods, with cubs still in tow and apparently without a care in the world.

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »

Should be.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:46:20 pm »

Should be.

Jeremy
I agree.
Even without the H of M.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up