Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe / Hasselblad Press Release  (Read 11766 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Adobe / Hasselblad Press Release
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:16 am »

x Posted on GetDPI

Please see the link here...

http://press.hasselblad.com/press-releases/press-releases-2012/2012-03-01_cooperation_adobe_hasselblad/cooperation_adobe_hasselblad.aspx

H4D Systems now bundled with a free copy of Adobe Lightroom.

Hope thats of interest to all!

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

design_freak

Re: Adobe / Hasselblad Press Release
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:36:48 am »

Such a promotion - was worth the wait    ;)
Best regards,
DF

design_freak

Best regards,
DF

BJL

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:21:43 pm »

Is Hasselblad trying to steal Canon's 5D Mk III thunder? Don't worry: I have not yet seen a single post claiming that the 5Diii is a "DMF-killer". (Just one hint of "RED-killer".)

And by the way, Hasselblad partnering with Adobe on Lightroom despite also having Phocus seems a smart idea, and a refreshing change from a NIH, turf-protecting approach. And being Lightroom rather than the bloated shovel-ware of PhotoShop is nice too.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:28:23 pm »

Not wishing to be a wet blanket - but doesn't this seem a little odd?

I mean - just how many people purchasing a brand-new Hasselblad H4D would not already have professional-level image processing software of some description?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:25:52 pm »

I agree with John - I appreciate the Lightroom license, and will nod as I add it to our (existing) Lightroom license.

It is worth noting that while one view of Phocus could be seen as turf-protecting, that is not the likely reason for the Hasselblad processing software.

Here's my argument:
Phocus has hard, landed costs of programmers, support personnel, and numerous man-hours of testing to be sure that the RAW processing from a very powerful camera system delivers the end result of outstanding images. Let's agree - the expectation of quality from Hasselblad is present, right?

The costs mentioned above of the quality expectation are supported from revenues - that come from photographers - who have decided this is the best investment of their $$$ resources for capture capability. I know, it is boring economic, basic stuff here.

My point is, while this indeed adds costs to produce high-quality software, the direct benefit is control of new and changing technical capabilities ad hoc (such as TruFocus, Digital APO, [insert new technology here], etc.)

It is an incredible experience to partner with the software development teams at Adobe and Apple and speaks directly to the type of people working at Hasselblad (to deliver the next generation of extraordinary tools for photographers) because who wants to work with uninteresting types? Not willingly...

I will avoid - to the relief of many here - the urge to discuss how much the Hasselblad software has improved over the years, adding significant capability at no charge to any Hasselblad owner.

Just thought you, dear reader, deserved to get more of the story to help form your opinion.

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

jduncan

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:15:02 am »

x Posted on GetDPI

Please see the link here...

http://press.hasselblad.com/press-releases/press-releases-2012/2012-03-01_cooperation_adobe_hasselblad/cooperation_adobe_hasselblad.aspx

H4D Systems now bundled with a free copy of Adobe Lightroom.

Hope thats of interest to all!

Interesting.  I have to questions:

1. What does this mean for the future of focus? is this a cost cutting action like in the case of Pentax?
2. What does this mean for the future of mac support? I now that Lightroom work fine in mac, but my question is: Is this exclusive?

Best regards,

James
David

english is not my first language, an I k

lance_schad

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 10:09:58 am »

I have a few thoughts that came to my head when I saw this:

On the Hasselblad side Branding by associating themselves with Adobe makes them look more mainstream and open. By this association they maybe trying to reach a broader market segment for a forthcoming product that does not require the advanced features that Phocus provides for their current product line and could be geared more down market.

Also on the Hasselblad side they do not have a media asset management play like Adobe has with LR and PhaseOne has with Media Pro.....

On the Adobe side, there is a new version forthcoming, so why not get as many versions of LR3 out there and get the people in an upgrade path.

Just thinking aloud....

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

design_freak

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:49 am »

Fingers crossed.

You honestly think that Phase One,Leaf/Mamiya,Arca-Swiss,Cambo have a future without reaching a broader market segment?

Do you think that "MFD" has future?  ;D
Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:02 pm »

I've consulted my crystal ball but all I could see was design_freak as Dealer of the Year.

The crystal ball told you  only half the truth. Not the dealer... Inventor of the year!!!  ;)
Best regards,
DF

NikonMike

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:09:52 am »

This $149 incentive may finally convince those lusting after the Ferrari edition... I hope Lightroom works with the Ferrari edition?  ;D

amsp

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 04:18:01 pm »

Maybe this is in preparation for the Hasselblad branded Fuji Xpro-1 ::)

LKaven

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 05:36:04 pm »

Maybe this is in preparation for the Hasselblad branded Fuji Xpro-1 ::)
I would /love/ to see an X-Pan X-Pro, looking just like the X-Pan, using those optics. 

I wouldn't mind a 60mm wide frame either.  As if.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:14:54 pm »

Fingers crossed.

You honestly think that Phase One,Leaf/Mamiya,Arca-Swiss,Cambo have a future without reaching a broader market segment?

Yes.

Though it would certainly be a better future with a broader market segment.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

MrSmith

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 02:02:57 am »

where do you see that expansion coming from?

JV

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 07:54:40 am »

Yes.

Though it would certainly be a better future with a broader market segment.

Steve Hendrix

I am sceptical about that.  Worldwide sales is estimated at 5-6K backs per year. 

IMHO any business strategy that is based upon having that user base upgrade every 2-3 years at current prices is not maintainable long term.

Best, Joris.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »

where do you see that expansion coming from?

This isn't really the thread for it.

But it is not necessary to expand a business to remain successful.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

bcooter

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:37 am »

This isn't really the thread for it.

But it is not necessary to expand a business to remain successful.

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

I think in just about every business, you move forward or you get passed.

Your company does an excellent job of moving forward, though you also have more than just digital backs to offer.  I don't know your numbers, but I am sure the service and other products greatly help your bottom line and/or bring more customers to your door.

In regards to digital backs, in my view, in the professional world, I use mine less and less, I hear the same from crews I work with around the world.

To clarify it's not that photographers don't want to use a better camera or shoot a more detailed or deeper file, but our industry has been compressed like never before.  Work we did in 4 to 5 days, we now do in two, or we're working from a bottom line, so regardless of the time, we have x number of dollars to draw upon so backing that up x amount of time.

Our next project is 4 countries, motion and stills, dialog and mos, and to hit the bottom line, once again we have x amount of time, x amount of crew.  Every minute really does count and an extra day of location is a large amount of money due to lodging, permits, talent, etc. etc.  In other words 30 minutes can be huge, so we have to work fast and be very well planned.

This week, we carried two RED's, three Canons and shipped/carried 12 cases of lights/grip mostly continuous light, as we now do parallel motion and still projects.

I would have loved to have used our digital backs when appropriate, the problem is we just don't have the time.  We can't wait for any glitches in connection, we don't have the pre production time to always clean and set up 4 cameras every evening after shooting, we also need cameras that can work well in studio, then location, with iso ranging from 800 to 200 . . . minimum.

Case in point, this week we shot (in one location) talent on room sets, then talent on no-seam paper, then took them outside and shot walking on the street, interacting, etc. etc., both in still and motion.

For the no seam we could have used my digital backs as we double lit the shot with hmi and flash.  the problem is in 5 minutes we walk to another set and shoot with leds and small hmi's plus window light at 800 iso and it has to be clean.

Then 25 minutes after that we do down an elevator to the street and add a long lens, have to catch the talent walking at a fast clip have to have a fast frame rate and must have the ability to check the exterior images without a tech station and 27" monitor, so the camera must have a detailed lcd, the iso flexible, the focus fast, the lenses fast and 5 minutes after shooting on the street, we're back into the location shooting the next set of talent that is already prepped and ready to go.

And . . . to be clear, these images have to be spot on, not sloppy or almost there, or "we'll fix it in post", especially since we shoot the RED's with every session. 

Whether it's Canon, Nikon, RED, Lecia, Phase or Hasselblad, I don't care, I just want to make sure that whatever cameras we use will do the above.

That's where I see medium format with a more limited market.  CMOS sensors, higher iso, faster focus, bullet proof software and detailed lcd's (not some of these features . .  . all of these features) will get my attention.  Anything less we just don't have the luxury of time/budget for.

Now when I do have time on something like editorial, where I make most of the selections, our style art crew decides on the sets and we don't need 300 images a session, but 20, then I use my medium format backs, just because I want to.   Problem is those aren't large paydays, those just allow us to stretch and move our business forward.

IMO

BC

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 01:46:56 pm »

But people the do not shoot like u, in do not need to run from place to places,In do not take order from  ANYONE, in still making some cash,those the love the freedom of been alone,just seat in relax waiting for the right light to come.  Those will go for the MF.  Any wrong in that?
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

MrSmith

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 02:53:35 pm »

But people the do not shoot like u, in do not need to run from place to places,In do not take order from  ANYONE, in still making some cash,those the love the freedom of been alone,just seat in relax waiting for the right light to come.  Those will go for the MF.  Any wrong in that?

that's why different camera systems are available for different uses, some areas overlap some systems are next to useless for some applications.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up