Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which cable for IQ180 digital back?  (Read 2636 times)

Smoothjazz

Which cable for IQ180 digital back?
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:13:41 am »

I am now using an IQ180 digital back on a tech camera, but need to choose a cable. What is the best cable to use currently? Is there a preference of a 1 shot release or 2 shot? I see mentioned that Phase One makes a 1 shot release, but cannot find any more information on it at their web site. Thanks for the help.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Which cable for IQ180 digital back?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:22 am »

Phase makes two cables I am aware of, one has a wake up button (which I use) the other required the back to be in zero latency.  
If you use the wake up version you will need an additional cable that has the correct pin out to fit into the back.  I believe when you
purchased the back, you should have received (1) non wake up cable, that requires zero latency.  I prefer not to use zero latency due
to battery drain and the fact I feel that back get a bit warm.  

You can also purchase a one push style cable from the company Kapture Group.  

Option 1, Phase Stero Sync, can be used by itself with zero latency equipped backs.  around $58.00 U.S.
Option 2, Stereo wake up cable  & Multiport Adapter Cable  Around $220.00 U.S.
Option 3, One shot from Kapture Group, wide or not wide (determines length of cable) $395.00

Here is a link to Capture Integration's site that shows all the cable options from Phase/Kapture Group, go to the
middle of the page where the Phase One Cables are listed.

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/

These are the options I have tried and all work.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Which cable for IQ180 digital back?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:01:55 am »

Phase makes two cables I am aware of, one has a wake up button (which I use) the other required the back to be in zero latency.  
If you use the wake up version you will need an additional cable that has the correct pin out to fit into the back.  I believe when you
purchased the back, you should have received (1) non wake up cable, that requires zero latency.  I prefer not to use zero latency due
to battery drain and the fact I feel that back get a bit warm.  

You can also purchase a one push style cable from the company Kapture Group.  

Option 1, Phase Stero Sync, can be used by itself with zero latency equipped backs.  around $58.00 U.S.
Option 2, Stereo wake up cable  & Multiport Adapter Cable  Around $220.00 U.S.
Option 3, One shot from Kapture Group, wide or not wide (determines length of cable) $395.00

Here is a link to Capture Integration's site that shows all the cable options from Phase/Kapture Group, go to the
middle of the page where the Phase One Cables are listed.

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/

These are the options I have tried and all work.

Paul

Thanks for the mention Paul, and good points. Yes, Smoothjazz, those are the options. It's actually kind of a subjective choice. Arguments can be made for all options.

*Sync Cable - shot in zero latency. Simplest and least expensive solution. But - in extreme conditions (high ambient temps, using Live View, or rapid, continuous shooting, etc) noise can become a factor in the images, and the batteries will take a hit from the constant "on" status of the CCD. An option for Phase One P40+/65+/IQ140/IQ160/IQ180.

*Phase One Wake Up & Multi Port Adapter Cable - shot in normal latency. This allows for the wake up workflow to be in place, improving battery life and image quality (less noise in some situations). However, it is a 2 shot process, first press the button on the Wake Up Cable, then within 4 seconds press the actual separate shutter release. Cheaper than the 1 Shot KG Solution, but some may not appreciate the 2 shot process. However, probably a better solution for "timed" events, as you could press the wake up, then within a 4 second period, press the release as quickly as you need to (more on this below).

*KaptureGroup Wake Up -  shot in normal latency. This solution allows for a 1 shot capture process. However, the cable solution is seen as klutzy by some, it is certainly expensive, and when pressing the release, you must press it "methodically", so timed captures can be a challenge (catching a moment or a pre-set synchronized moment).

It is important that, along with these considerations, it is recognized that this solution is the most likely point of failure for your system. With that in mind, a backup is essential. Very few of our clients opt for (2) KG 1 Shot Cables, including a backup ($790 worth of release cable?). Often we'll have a combo of KG 1 Shot with the Phase 2 Shot solution as a backup, or even the Phase Standard Sync if they have a Dalsa-based Phase One solution.

Some people hate taking 2 shots, some people don't mind, others prefer the 1 Shot, but don't like having to be mindful of how fast they press the release.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up