Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III official...  (Read 53543 times)

dreed

Canon 5D Mark III official...
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:55:59 am »

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii

22MP, no f/8.0 AF, no built-in GPS, 90Mb/s video, electronic level, 61 point AF from the 1DX

Feels yawn worthy?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Canon 5D Mark III official...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:04:03 am »

Ray

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:27 am »

I can't believe it! What on earth is Canon doing! They once had the lead over Nikon, not only with regard to their offering of a full-frame format, but also with regard to significantly lower noise at high ISO in their cropped formats, such as the 20D and 30D.

Nikon changed that just a very few years ago with the introduction of the D3 full-frame format which in terms of dynamic range and low noise, exceeded anything that Canon had to offer.

Nikon has subsequently continued from strength to strength, whipping Canon with every new release. The D7000 was a breakthrough in DR capability, and now the D800 is a breakthrough in both performance and pixel count, if one assumes the pixels are at least the equivalent of the D7000 pixels.

I've got two 12mp full-frame cameras, the original 5D and the Nikon D700 which has better specs than the 5D. Since I have quite a few Canon lenses, including the highly acclaimed TS-E 17mm, I would be very interested in a 45mp or even a 36mp 5D MkIII.

I doubt very much that I'll buy this new offering from Canon, unless it includes some other breakthrough in performance which hasn't been announced, such as spectacularly low noise at high ISO along the lines of the Nikon D3s.

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:51:21 am »

i'll probably not upgrade as a higher MP was what i was after, unless there's a massive leap in file quality. another colleague will now order an 800d as the mkIII has no 60 frames video and no high mp (either would have swung the deal). i know quite a few people who will not upgrade or swap over and buy a nikon instead as a back-up to their MFD.
it's probably a very good camera and plenty of people will upgrade but i can't see the volume of sales similar to the MKII

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:53:40 am »

22?

22!?

It is March 1st, not April 1st, right? Right!?

Somebody pinch me please and tell me we have not returned to the (digital) stone age.

Booooo, Canon! Booooo!

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:03 am »

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/

The files look pretty clean to me.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:20 am »

Other than pixel count, this is a substantially improved camera in every other category.  Most have been stating for a couple of years that camera makers should end megapixel race, and applauded canon when they went for lower pixel count for some of the point and shoots. I've read posts for years asking camera makers to focus on dynamic range and noise (which go hand in hand), judging by what they've done with their other sensors over the last few months, seems like they've given us what everyone has wanted.  Now it's what were they thinking....

both look like great cameras, will be fun to shoot them side by side. One intriguing comment on the Canon is about the sensor design and improved performance with wide angle lenses.

Personally I think a 5Dx is still in the works.  

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 02:04:09 am »

The built-in HDR sounds as if it might be interesting in terms of a more natural extension to dynamic range

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 02:08:44 am »

At least one person was keen to check out the new 5DIII (or Ixus, I couldn't be sure). Taken earlier this afternoon here in Shanghai.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 02:17:59 am »

Most probably a very solid all rounder but not a camera that is going to generate much excitement. Samples are predictably OK.

Above all, I feel that Canon will have a bit of a hard time to convince 5DII shooters to upgrade.

There maybe a 5DX coming still which would explain the strategy but I would have announced both at the same time if possible at all though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:19:10 am »

...  Most have been stating for a couple of years that camera makers should end megapixel race...

And I always thought that to be demented. As everybody knows, one can never be too rich, too thin or have too many pixels (at least for landscape photography).

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:22:41 am »

If it has 11+ stops of dynamic range, I could be very interested.  Or maybe just silky smooth, high-iso noiselessness would be enough.  Will have to wait on that information, apparently.  Don't see see claims published so far.

However, for us HDR hungry pano guys this somewhat ambiguous official info is intriguing...

Multiple exposures are possible in-camera and up to 9 exposures can be recorded onto a single file using 4 distinct settings for control. When in Additive mode, this closely resembles making multiple exposures on film and layers each exposure; manual exposure compensation is required. Average mode layers the images and automatically compensates for the final exposure, eliminating the unintended possibility of gross under or overexposure. Bright mode is specifically designed for photographing in uniformly dark scenes with a bright subject, such as a studio environment. Dark mode functions inversely, and helps to eliminate overly bright sections of the image including reflections and highlights.

A High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode is also incorporated and allows for the creation of HDR images in-camera, reducing the time needed to manually overlay images in post-production. When using this mode, a series of bracketed exposures are made of the same image, then automatically integrated into the same frame, resulting in a photograph without blown highlights or blocked up shadows and a long middle range of tones. This mode is especially useful when photographing scenes with a great deal of contrast.

From a pano viewpoint I liked the 5D2 for just about everything except the miserable 3 frame HDR bracket limit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:31:04 am by bill t. »

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:32:31 am »

As a landscaper, totally disappointed with the announcement! 22MP? I don't need 61 point auto focus and 6 fps for my use!! Why would I upgrade from 5D mark II?  I was hoping it will have better MP than the newly announced Nikon!! Drats....

Pingang

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:47:55 am »

a very nutual improvements over the last, disappointed a bit on the pixels count not that I don't like the quality of old 5D2, and even the new 5D3 may be a little clearner, sometimes more is better. But otherwise, it is just an excellent camera.

Pingang

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:18 am »

"End the megapixel race already!"

"We want proper AF in the 5D!"

Now we got that and there are still complainers... go figure...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:49 am »

Hi,

Not much going on regarding noise, except improvement in JPEG noise reduction. Expanding DR is essentially done improving the readout noise and it seems than Nikon/Sony have a healthy lead in that area.

My take is that the Canon 5DIII is a much better camera, competing head on with the EOS 1DsIII.

Better AF, better video, better JPEG engine, better FPS.

Best regards
Erik

If it has 11+ stops of dynamic range, I could be very interested.  Or maybe just silky smooth, high-iso noiselessness would be enough.  Will have to wait on that information, apparently.  Don't see see claims published so far.

However, for us HDR hungry pano guys this somewhat ambiguous official info is intriguing...

Multiple exposures are possible in-camera and up to 9 exposures can be recorded onto a single file using 4 distinct settings for control. When in Additive mode, this closely resembles making multiple exposures on film and layers each exposure; manual exposure compensation is required. Average mode layers the images and automatically compensates for the final exposure, eliminating the unintended possibility of gross under or overexposure. Bright mode is specifically designed for photographing in uniformly dark scenes with a bright subject, such as a studio environment. Dark mode functions inversely, and helps to eliminate overly bright sections of the image including reflections and highlights.

A High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode is also incorporated and allows for the creation of HDR images in-camera, reducing the time needed to manually overlay images in post-production. When using this mode, a series of bracketed exposures are made of the same image, then automatically integrated into the same frame, resulting in a photograph without blown highlights or blocked up shadows and a long middle range of tones. This mode is especially useful when photographing scenes with a great deal of contrast.

From a pano viewpoint I liked the 5D2 for just about everything except the miserable 3 frame HDR bracket limit.
Erik Kaffehr

bernhardmarks

• http://www.bernhard-marks.de
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 04:31:42 am »

who will buy it?

@CANON.  my needs as an architecture photographer:

i don´t need video, no 1000 programs, no fast autofocus, no high iso. so why should i pay for that?
i need more pixel (36MP), maximum image quality (at iso 100), better sensor cleaning, ts-e 40 + 80 lens ...and most: bigger sensor (as big as possible).

i think many other photographers (architecture, landscape, still...) think that way.
3200,- € for EOS 5 Mark III - 1800,- € for EOS 5 Mark II...

again: who will buy it?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 04:32:25 am »

The D7000 was a breakthrough in DR capability

to be fair, D7000 was annunced on Sep 15,2010 and Pentax K5 on Sep 20, 2010 - so breakthrough belongs mostly to Sony (Semiconductor).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:34:25 am by deejjjaaaa »

citro

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 04:38:50 am »

who will buy it?

@CANON.  my needs as an architecture photographer:

i don´t need video, no 1000 programs, no fast autofocus, no high iso. so why should i pay for that?
i need more pixel (36MP), maximum image quality (at iso 100), better sensor cleaning, ts-e 40 + 80 lens ...and most: bigger sensor (as big as possible).

i think many other photographers (architecture, landscape, still...) think that way.
3200,- € for EOS 5 Mark III - 1800,- € for EOS 5 Mark II...

again: who will buy it?

Lots of people.
Why don't you go medium format ? It fits your profile. You can't afford it? Well...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 05:04:26 am »

to be fair, D7000 was annunced on Sep 15,2010 and Pentax K5 on Sep 20, 2010 - so breakthrough belongs mostly to Sony (Semiconductor).

Yep... but who do you think pays the bill at Sony semi-conductor? Hint... the volume sold by Pentax makes them pretty insignificant...  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up