Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ink and roll on coating  (Read 1859 times)

Photopro888

Canon ink and roll on coating
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »

Was about to buy a Canon iPF8300 then read on the forums (from only one person I believe) that the canon ink has an issue on canvas and paper when rolling on coating. Some of the ink comes off onto the roller.  Can anyone confirm this? I’m using “clearstar satin type C” for my coating now, with Epson ink.

I know that spraying would solve the issue but would rather sick with rolling for now.

Thanks,

Darren

KenBabcock

Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:22:54 pm »

I've never used Clearstar.  I use Eco Print Shield - same thing really.

Unless you are using canvas that is not WR there is no issue.  You might run into problems with non WR canvas.

Paper should not be coated with Clearstar.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:29 pm »

Best results are to spray the Canon prints.  I did some of the early testing on both papers and canvas.  Spray is always more uniform and yes the ink can smear when rolled.  T

But then again I sprayed the Epson prints also. 

KenBabcock

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:15 pm »

The ink won't smear when rolled on a WR canvas.  I do it all the time.  If the canvas is not WR (like Fredrix 901) then problems with ink lifting will occur when rolling whether you are using Canon or Epson inks.

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:35 am »

Ken,

Paper can be coated with Clearstar ClearJet A-2000 original formula available in 12 oz. spray cans. The ClearJet Fine Art spray cans are engineered for canvas. Clearstar ClearShield is a water based coating that is available in quarts and gallons, which can also be used on paper. The Clearstar ClearShield Type C and ClearJet Fine Art (canvas versions) are available in quarts and gallons (brush & roll and ready-to-spray versions).
Randy Carone

KenBabcock

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:17 am »

I should have been a little clearer.  Type C is for canvas.  Paper should not have to be coated with anything.  I don't see a need for it.  Archival inks on paper behind glass - just a waste of money in my opinion.

Darrel

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »

The canon inks will smear on WR canvas do to the high density ink loads.  You can make a custom media profile to cut down the ink laid down, but I suspect the roller will still pick up a bit.  It is easy and cheap to spray with a wagner.

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:06 pm »

Fredrix 901 is WR-I just got a roll of it.
Mike

KenBabcock

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:36 pm »

Oops, I omitted the word "satin" from the Fredrix 901WR.

You won't even need to coat it to find the ink lifting.  Rubbing it with your finger alone will rub the ink right off - the satin 901WR that is.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:15 am »

Sorry to clarify.  Gloss canvas will absolutely runs when rolled.  I should have said that earlier.  I forget others are using a matt or satin canvas which has less to no running.  T
Pages: [1]   Go Up