Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumping to Mirrorless: Michael NEX usage  (Read 9919 times)

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
Jumping to Mirrorless: Michael NEX usage
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:41 pm »

Watching Michael using the NEX7 more and more, I began wondering about it and have done extensive research on the advantages or disadvantages of a Mirrorless system. Is significantly smaller than my EOS 60D, lenses are also petite in comparison, I don't do any hardcore studio or wildlife/sports work, good lenses are very well priced, EVFs are better every day (And the option of overlaying lots of info is great) and feature wise are very appealing. My photography involves primarily landscape, street, travel, people and family photography. Right now my choices are:
- Wait till April for the Olympus OM-D + 12-50mm + Zuiko 40-150mm
- Get the NEX7 now (If I can get a hold on one body), but I'm worried in lens availability.

I'm leaning towards the Olympus, primarily because is a manufacturer I've always followed with respect for the high quality of its products, but I never had the chance to get one. Back in the film days I was drooling for the OM-4T.

Now, do you consider it a good option, or I will be losing something that I will not find in any mirrorless?
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Jumping to Mirrorless: Michael NEX usage
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »

Martin,

Only you can figure out what is good for you, one thing I always do to check out something new is to rent it.  I have used lensrentals.com to rent from and found them to be very reliable and more reasonable in costs than my local camera shops. You could always rent a body and some lenses for a week or so and test them out and see how you like it, then decide if that is what you want to invest time and money into. Getting opinions is nice, but trying it out for yourself will really tell you a lot more. Just a thought.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »

Well, that would be nice, but down here in Panama there is no such service. I must decide based on reviews and experience from others. Sony do have a strong presence in the country, but not so Olympus. So I may be able to try out a NEX7 in the store.
I'll wait for DPreview full test before going any further, but in the mean time I'll start visiting Sony stores and check the NEX7 out.

One thing I would like to know, this time asking Michael directly:

If you had the chance to go to say Europe, or China, or Bangladesh, would you take your Leica, NEX7, or GH2, or you'll be better served with your full size Sony Alpha or Canon FF gear? I mean, do the NEX7 gives you enough image quality to "sacrifice" a nice trip just with a smaller system? Is that good?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:12:39 pm by Martin Ocando »
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:16 pm »

Hi,

My impression is that NEX-lenses are not very good right now. I just got my Sony Alpha 77 yesterday, so I cannot really comment. The Alpha 77 has the same viewfinder as the NEX-7 but uses different lenses.

Just sitting tight on what you have may be a good strategy.

Best regards
Erik

Watching Michael using the NEX7 more and more, I began wondering about it and have done extensive research on the advantages or disadvantages of a Mirrorless system. Is significantly smaller than my EOS 60D, lenses are also petite in comparison, I don't do any hardcore studio or wildlife/sports work, good lenses are very well priced, EVFs are better every day (And the option of overlaying lots of info is great) and feature wise are very appealing. My photography involves primarily landscape, street, travel, people and family photography. Right now my choices are:
- Wait till April for the Olympus OM-D + 12-50mm + Zuiko 40-150mm
- Get the NEX7 now (If I can get a hold on one body), but I'm worried in lens availability.

I'm leaning towards the Olympus, primarily because is a manufacturer I've always followed with respect for the high quality of its products, but I never had the chance to get one. Back in the film days I was drooling for the OM-4T.

Now, do you consider it a good option, or I will be losing something that I will not find in any mirrorless?
Erik Kaffehr

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »

I would hunt around in various forums, another forum that has posted a lot of experience with the Nex 7 is the Fred Miranda, Alternative Gear and lenses forum, there are some very long threads about the NEX7 and various issues people have seen and various experiences.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

michael

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:23:52 pm »

Well, that would be nice, but down here in Panama there is no such service. I must decide based on reviews and experience from others. Sony do have a strong presence in the country, but not so Olympus. So I may be able to try out a NEX7 in the store.
I'll wait for DPreview full test before going any further, but in the mean time I'll start visiting Sony stores and check the NEX7 out.

One thing I would like to know, this time asking Michael directly:

If you had the chance to go to say Europe, or China, or Bangladesh, would you take your Leica, NEX7, or GH2, or you'll be better served with your full size Sony Alpha or Canon FF gear? I mean, do the NEX7 gives you enough image quality to "sacrifice" a nice trip just with a smaller system? Is that good?

The simple answer is that after using the NEX-7 for some 4,000 frames over the past four months, street shooting as well as landscape work, I don't feel that I am making any compromises in image quality over any other camera that I own (except the IQ180 on an Alpa – but that's another story).

I miss my Zeiss A lenses, but not the bulk of my A900. I prefer the huge clear viewfinder of the A900, but not the bulk tradeoff that it means. The EVF on the NEX is actually pretty terrific, especially for low light work where it actually beats a large SLR viewfinder.

Sony's E series zooms aren't great, but neither are they terrible. On the other hand the 24mm Zeiss, the 50mm f/1.8 and the 18mm pancake are terrific. Being able to use just about any other lens, including all my Zeiss glass and Leica M lenses on the NEX-7 clinches the deal.

I came down to Mexico in November shooting with the NEX-7 because it was the latest and greatest, and more importantly because I was finishing up my rolling review series. But, even though I have my Leica M9 and Fuji X100 here as well, along with a NEX 5n, it's the NEX-7 that goes over my shoulder each day.

I have the IQ180 and Alpa here as well, but except for a few days out shooting landscape in the car, it has stayed at home, because much of my shooting here is hand-held. I also hike a lot. The Sony 18-200mm is also the lens I use most, because it is the most versatile. Because of its reach and stabilization it's become a favorite. I sometimes curse the CA at the long end, and some distortion at the wide end, but LR4 cleans both us nicely. I've also learned to stop it down a bit for optimum resolution. Working in a sunny country helps do this more often than not.

I love using great lenses, but I love getting the shot more, regardless of the lens needed.

Hope this helps.

Michael
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:05:07 pm by michael »

AlfSollund

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:55:42 pm »

Choose lenses then camera  :D. Olympus have some great lenses, but NEX has proven that it works great with a lot of excellent other brand lenses.
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:05 pm »

The simple answer is that after using the NEX-7 for some 4,000 frames over the past four months, street shooting as well as landscape work, I don't feel that I am making any compromises in image quality over any other camera that I own (except the IQ180 on an Alpa – but that's another story).

I miss my Zeiss A lenses, but not the bulk of my A900. I prefer the huge clear viewfinder of the A900, but not the bulk tradeoff that it means. The EVF on the NEX is actually pretty terrific, especially for low light work where it actually beats a large SLR viewfinder.

Sony's E series zooms aren't great, but neither are they terrible. On the other hand the 24mm Zeiss, the 50mm f/1.8 and the 18mm pancake are terrific. Being able to use just about any other lens, including all my Zeiss glass and Leica M lenses on the NEX-7 clinches the deal.

I came down to Mexico in November shooting with the NEX-7 because it was the latest and greatest, and more importantly because I was finishing up my rolling review series. But, even though I have my Leica M9 and Fuji X100 here as well, along with a NEX 5n, it's the NEX-7 that goes over my shoulder each day.

I have the IQ180 and Alpa here as well, but except for a few days out shooting landscape in the car, it has stayed at home, because much of my shooting here is hand-held. I also hike a lot. The Sony 18-200mm is also the lens I use most, because it is the most versatile. Because of its reach and stabilization it's become a favorite. I sometimes curse the CA at the long end, and some distortion at the wide end, but LR4 cleans both us nicely. I've also learned to stop it down a bit for optimum resolution. Working in a sunny country helps do this more often than not.

I love using great lenses, but I love getting the shot more, regardless of the lens needed.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Oh yeah, Michael. It helps really a Great deal. Thank you very much.
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

dreed

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:04:05 am »

I came down to Mexico in November shooting with the NEX-7 ... it's the NEX-7 that goes over my shoulder each day.

Up until my most recent expedition with my camera and kit, it had been over the shoulder for most of my trekking with missing black paint in places as proof of this.

Then whilst out walking I spot wildlife that I want a shot of and in the time it took to get my camera out and ready, it was gone.

The reason it was packed away is because I'd been doing longer walks (10 miles in a day) and I wanted it in a place where I could more easily carry the weight.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:45:48 am »

I have tha NEX7 and ise the 24 zeiss and my Leica lenses (have the Sony 50 on backorder) and one thing I can say is that the magnified focus assist on both the Sony and Leica lenses allows me to get the most accurate focusing I have ever gotten on any camera...simply amazing! Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

michael

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:17:43 am »

Just wondering, should that be the 16mm pancake or are there two pancake lenses available?

Thanks

Just a typo.

maxmelvin19

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:43:15 pm »

Hi Michael,

I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a light travel tripod for the NEX-7 (one's that sturdy enough to make the most of the camera's resolution). I'm hoping to buy the Nex as my only camera - so I'm looking to build a system around it.

Also, I am 25 and I've only been serious about photography for the last three years. I'm now saving up to get a high quality setup that I can take everywhere. I can't afford the Zeiss 24 1.8 at the moment but I want to get the best results out of the Nex 7 that I can. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time. This site has been a serious aide to my development as a photographer. I try to engage with everything I read critically and I have found your work clear and well justified - you convinced me to adopt ETTR and that alone has exponentially boosted the quality of my output (both figuratively and literally).

Thanks again,
Max

michael

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 02:11:07 pm »

Carbon fibre Gitzo, RRS or Enduro, no column, and a small light head like an Acratech would be my suggestion.

Michael

maxmelvin19

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 05:19:36 am »

Thank you

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 08:42:27 am »

I got the NEX-7 last week and am using it with Nikon and Leica lenses. No question that 24 mp delivers the goods. The menu system is hopeless, I'm still trying to figure it out where I can remember what is where and the squirrels that designed it should have their nuts taken away. Another great camera concept let down by the little things. I'm not certain what a firmware update could achieve to straighten the menu system out, but I have been surprised before.

michael

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 10:12:20 am »

It needs a complete menuotomy.

Michael

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 11:19:30 am »

Over many many years I've had just about every kind of camera system and format (film and digital) one could ever imagine (except 8 x10 film and tech camera for my Phase backs) and I will say Ive spent more time and studying on how to work my NEX 7 than any other piece of photographic equipment by far.  I finally have it fixed for my shooting but it took some doing! Eleanor

I got the NEX-7 last week and am using it with Nikon and Leica lenses. No question that 24 mp delivers the goods. The menu system is hopeless, I'm still trying to figure it out where I can remember what is where and the squirrels that designed it should have their nuts taken away. Another great camera concept let down by the little things. I'm not certain what a firmware update could achieve to straighten the menu system out, but I have been surprised before.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 11:25:38 am »

Eleanor, congratulations! Yeah, I'm almost there...

SpiritShooter

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 01:33:34 pm »

In recent months, I have also started to reduce my carrying load and simplify my camera cupboard. I have sold all of my Canon gear, my Phase One back and much of the other odds and ends around the place.

I have kept my Leica M9 with 35, 50 and 75 Crons and a compact Ricoh GR Digital IV.

I have thought about the Sony NEX 7 but just keep stopping short of pulling the trigger every time I read about the new Fuji X-Pro 1. The initial reviews seem to be very positive and the image quality seems to be very nice. However, I do print large, and as such the Sony with it's 24mp or so may make more sense.

I guess for now, I will sit tight and keep watching.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

Michael

Pretty much my experience except that (1) I use the Tamron 18-200mm zoom with my NEX-7, comparable quality with the Sony offering but it has a slightly smaller black lens body (a minor preference) and  (2) the stay-at-home MF camera is a Hassy H4D-50.

You just can't beat the all round versatility of the NEX-7, despite a few trade-offs.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up