Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumping to Mirrorless: Michael NEX usage  (Read 9937 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Re: Jumping to Mirrorless: Michael NEX usage
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »

I got the NEX-7 last week and am using it with Nikon and Leica lenses. No question that 24 mp delivers the goods. The menu system is hopeless, I'm still trying to figure it out where I can remember what is where and the squirrels that designed it should have their nuts taken away. Another great camera concept let down by the little things. I'm not certain what a firmware update could achieve to straighten the menu system out, but I have been surprised before.

I recently got my NEX 7. I became so frustrated, I sat with the camera, instruction book,  for 3 or 4 hours, and made a 4"x5" card "cheat sheet" with all the very basic functions an experienced photographer would need. For Example:
1.How to Format the card
2. How to set the ISO.
3. How to set the exposure mode (i.e. Aperature preferred, shutter preferred, manual, Program).
4. If I select "Aperture Preferred" How do I set shutter speed, and F stop? (Don't laugh--took me a long time to see how to set shutter speed and F stop). Used to be a F stop ring around the lens, and shutter speed dial on top of camera. Well, Olympus had the shutter speed ring around the lens, but that was an exception!
5. Ditto for "Shutter" preferred, or manual.
6. How to set Single frame, or Multiple frame motor drive.

To me the epitome as to how to design a digital camera is the A900, and 645D, both of which are my current cameras. Both the easiest digital cameras I have ever used.
It is embarrasing, I have been involved in photography in a serious way for well over 55 years, and when a friend buys a "simple point and shoot" camera, and asks me how to use it, I have to tell them I have no clue. They look at my collection of film cameras, and when I show them one shutter speed dial, one aperature on the lens, and one dial to set ISO, they are incredulous as to how simple they are!
End of rant.
Dave
www.modernpictorials.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 03:16:13 pm »

I am presently on a photo trip in Arizona with the Nex7 and only one lens the Zeiss 21.
Shooting manual focus with the Novaflex adapter is effortless.
Will post some shots when I get back to Pa. Mid week.
So far what I am seeing at least for my landscape shooting style is a really big need for full frame/mf.
When you see what Michael R. is shooting with his Nex7 I think it's perfect for that style.
I print really big which means I am shooting quite a few panos.  This camera in ff would be a killer.
 If they could double its body size,and make it a 40 mp medium format camera for around 5k I would be done buying cameras.
So back to the Nex7. Pretty much the same complaints as everyone else. No bracketing other then jpegs.
Hit the movie button by mistake several times. Some kind of firmware update to clean up the menu system would help.
It's almost like Sony intentionally crippled certain features to protect the next line.
When my Nikon D800 comes it will become my primary landscape pano camera with the Zeiss.
Then the Nex7  can be relegated to a light weight everyday carry camera,more like what it was intended for.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:36:23 pm by Dan Berg »

Joe S

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 11:59:08 pm »

Another one struggling here and hoping for new firmware, but its such a nice camera that its worth it.   Using it with just Leica lenses and loving it.

CptZar

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 04:06:49 am »

I sold sold two A850 after getting my NEX 7. Yes a FF would be much nicer due to the wider angle of view, as I use all my FF lenses on the NEX. Bracketing would be nice, but I can do that manually too. I hit the video button every day a couple of times. This is really annoying. I think the menu is OK. There could be some short cut's like AF/MF but if you are into computers it just comes easy. The little control wheel on the back is very hard use with cold fingers. The EVF is awesome. I exclusively use MF for focusing. And then the EVF beats anything hands down. I never ever had so sharp pictures.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 01:40:45 pm »

I have had my NEX-7 for about a week, and although I have just done a bit of testing, I'm liking the IQ very much. I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to menus, so I hadn't really thought about it being bad until I saw these posts.

Just in case Sony engineers happen to be watching LuLa, my vote for the video button would be to change the operation such that pressing it is like "arming video." Another press and recording begins.  If no press in say 30 seconds, it times out and goes back to previous state.

But whatever, this will be a great addition to the M9 kit, doing the shots the Leica cannot manage.
Bob
 ht

Raymond Bleesz

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 10:20:47 am »

Interesting comments re: the above. I "jumped" to a lighter system, that being the GH2 with it's three lenses awhile ago.  I am surprized there were very few comments re: this camera/system as compared to the NEX.. Overall, I am impressed with the Pana. Certainly the weight factor is most noticable as compared to my Nikon system. The manuel is "fustrating" to a degree as well, "muddy". The optics are sound, excellent. I did purchase a Voitlander adapter to use my Nikon lenses. I will be going to Costa Rica the first week of April, and I plan on taking my GH2, 3 pano lenses, the adapter & an older AIS Nikkor Micro 55mm as my "kit" instead of my regular Nikon stuff. My stuff is in an attache bag rather than a camera bag.

Any comments re: the GH2 as an alternative to NEX?

Raymond

douglasf13

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:53 am »

I've only had the NEX-7 a few days, and I'm surprised that you all are having such a hard time with the menu.  Sure, it has icons rather than the usual tabs at the top of the screen, but, really, once all of your custom buttons and banks are setup, it seems pretty straight forward to me.  I'm not sure that I actually ever even need to go into the menus, except to format cards and occasionally turn on a grid or something.  In fact, the "SETUP" menu icon is the only one that I ever use, as anything that I'd need to adjust is there.  Once setup, I think it all works at least as good as my A900.

I do agree that there should be a lock on the movie button.  Sony should allow you to hold it for a few seconds to lock it, just like the control dials.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 08:16:39 am »

But whatever, this will be a great addition to the M9 kit, doing the shots the Leica cannot manage.

Yes, this has been a big appeal for me. Now I can use Leica glass for distance shots and use the magnification available in Live View for precise focus. It's a win/win situation for many of us.

AlfSollund

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 04:14:56 am »

Any comments re: the GH2 as an alternative to NEX?

Raymond

Hi,

I used the GH-2 for some months. I was very pleased with the Pana 17 and the 14-140 for stills. However I tried my Leica glass on the GH-2, and was not to pleased with the IQ for this combo , nor with the 2x crop factor. Also I did not fancy the MF with neither lens types. So I ended up selling the GH-2, and recently purchased a NEX-5N while my M9 was at service. I now use the the NEX as a hike and fishing trip camera with only legacy lenses and overall this is a better combo for me. That is not to say that the GH-2 is bad camera, but I consider this as a m43 lens camera, and the NEX more as a digital back.
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 01:49:33 pm »

I just did it. I sold all my Canon gear and got a Lumix DMC G3 + 14-42mm OIS ASPH for starters. I'm ordering a 20mm f:1.7 pancake, 45-200mm OIS and Bower 7.5mm lenses. I'm also considering the Leica Panasonic 45mm Elmarit-Macro lens, although is very expensive. Instead I'm also considering a used 55mm f:2.8 Micro Nikkor and m43 adapter, but I haven't made my mind yet.

I will be shooting with this system for some time, until the Olympus OM-D gets out in the wild and gets tested by real users, and I will decide if by the end of the year I get one.

My first impressions are quite favorable:
- The system is minuscule. It remembers me the Pentax Auto 110 back in the early 80s.
- Image quality is superb. Comparable to my APS-C Canon raws. Sometimes better noise control and push/pull capabilities.
- Complete unobtrusive system, fits in my belly bag and I take it simply everywhere I go. Best of all, I don't look like a pro photographer anymore. I'm just either a tourist or some guy shooting around, so I make people more comfortable around me. I can even shoot inside a public bus, unthinkable with my Canon rig.
- Mine is RED colored. Actually it was the last one, so I had no choice, but the color has grown on me. My kids named it "Ironman's Camera". Still, I think the less-pro look contributes to my relaxing state and everyone else.
- I have learned to live with the lack of eye sensor to switch between LCD and EVF. Actually I trust more my shooting abilities and stopped reviewing every image. Like using film. I also think it saves a bit of battery not using the rear LCD too much.

Having TONS of fun. Can't wait for my lenses to arrive.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:51:24 pm by Martin Ocando »
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up