Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stump Pass Panoramic, Englewood Florida  (Read 2358 times)

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
Stump Pass Panoramic, Englewood Florida
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »

I shot this Location mid-day at Stump pass beach state park in Englewood Florida a few years back before I moved to Alaska. This is a few miles down the beach and most people arent willing to make the walk in the soft sand. All the better for us photographers and nature lovers because the people who are willing really appreciate it and respect it. This is a 3 image panoramic that I converted to B&W in photoshop. The color version I like as well but I found the B&W more dramatic. We used to call this place the tree grave yard. Hurricanes and erosion have killed the trees and the sun has beached them so this makes a unique landscape and a great fishing spot! Its places like these that I really enjoy! Critique is always appreciated!
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

Michael H. Cothran

Re: Stump Pass Panoramic, Englewood Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:55 am »

Excellent choice for a panorama. And for converting to b&w. This image has great impact on the viewer. And the way the trees lean inwards keeps your eyes from drifting away.

rambler44

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:26 am »

What are some keys to look for when converting a colored image to a successful B+W?  High contrast?

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:28:04 pm »

What are some keys to look for when converting a colored image to a successful B+W?  High contrast?
Yes Rambler High contrast is a must for compelling B&W images. Some things just look better in black and white anyway. if the colors in a photo arent working for you try converting it. Personally, I Like the B&W conversion tool in PS CS5 although there are many plugins to help you along. Nik software makes one that alot of people like called Silverfx. With the tool in CS5 you can adjust "colors". for ex. if your image has red flowers and no other red you can use the red slider in the tool and adjust it so what would be red is now brighter or darker in the image. This allows you to tweak some things to add some contrast. Another thing to look at is like tones. Greens and reds for example are high contrast in the color world but if the tones are similar they will blend together in the B&W world. White clouds on blue skies usually help keep whats above the horizon interesting. Using a polarizer with help bring out the clouds more while rendering the sky closer to black.  Check your histogram when shooting the image and when processing to ensure you have deep shadows and bright highlights. That will help keep your image from looking gray and muddy. Dodging and burning are also useful but try not to blow out the highlights and burn in the shadows excessively. A little trick i like to use for increasing local contrast and apparent sharpness in images that are lacking is the unsharp mask in Photoshop. Set the amount to 20% the radius to 50pixels and threshold to 0 and watch the magic happen. i dont know why but these values always work.  Here is the color version just for comparison
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

stpf8

• Stephen Penland Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:44:12 pm »

This has an "other-worldly" feel to it -- quite nice, and well worth the effort to get there.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »

Thanks for the color version. Both are great, but I like the water and sand better in color.
Scott

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:24:38 am »

great shot, really strong

Jose L

• "He detenido la luz, he capturado su vuelo" Louis
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:46 pm »

Creo que me gusta tanto en b/w como en color. Buen encuadre y bien conseguido el contrate entre los distintos elementos. Enhorabuena!
Pages: [1]   Go Up