Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Nex7 vs Fuji X-pro1  (Read 9757 times)

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
Sony Nex7 vs Fuji X-pro1
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:39:17 pm »

Hey folks

Having spent a few years with phase one backs on a mamiya 645 a few of canons big guns I'm starting to feel the effects of dragging around heavy gear all the time. My photographic interests at the moment are also leaning towards street photography with a view to selling limited edition prints. I particularly find inspiration from creative images captured in nighttime street lighting. I'm have been following the threads on the Nex7 and also Fuji's X Pro1. Both cameras look very appealing. Looking at the ISO / noise performance of both cameras the fuji appears to have the edge, mostly due to the smaller sensor and the move from a beyer pattern sensor. I am a bit concerned about the possible focussing performance in low light. The Sony Nex 7 seems to be very impressive for focussing and incredible resolution for such a small package. I am interested to hear from experienced street photographers. What ISO range do you typically need for low light street work (assuming prints good enough for sale) which of these cameras would be the better choice (based on current available info) and why? I absolutely love the form factor of the X Pro 1 but the Sony is starting to look like a real contender. Would welcome others views here to aid in my final decision.

Best regards
John

gullevek

• http://flickr.com/photos/gullevek/
Re: Sony Nex7 vs Fuji X-pro1
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:54 am »

I think what you forget is the lenses that are available. And for street shooting, I think Fuji is better in this case. Furthermore, the Fuji has a optical view finder, which might give it a plus. And then you have to to think, do you really need all the megapixels? Remember the X-Pro 1 does not have an AA filter, this another plus.

The NEX on the other hand, has a focusing help for manual lenses, I couldn't find anything like this on the X-Pro 1, when I checked it. I also do not know if any of those two can do pre-set for a focus distance, like the Ricoh GR digital can. This is something pretty amazing and takes away the focus time. Wished those kind of cameras would have this setting, at the end it is nothing more than a software and putting the focus on a certain distance.

For ISO, on my X100, at f2, I have to use at least ISO3200 at night, to get ok shutter speed, better ISO6400. But the quality is so good, that it is normally no problem at all.

And weight wise I can agree :) Since I have the Fuji X100, I finally have a camera I can take with me everywhere, because it is so light. A canon body + a good lens, just weights too much for every day usage, once you get a bit older.

scooby70

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:03:13 am »

And for street shooting, I think Fuji is better in this case. Furthermore, the Fuji has a optical view finder, which might give it a plus.

Just a quick thought... I wouldn't write off any camera with an EVF without trying it first.

I have a 5D and f1.4's and a MFT G1 with EVF and the G1's EVF shows much more detail in low light than is visible through the 5D's OVF. The situation is reversed in almost total darkness when the EVF seems to black out completely whilst the OVF at least allows some outline to be seen. In most situations though, at least in town, it's not usually totally dark and the EVF is the easy winner in my experience. Best to therefore try a camera with EVF and see what results are possible rather than assume that OVF is always better.

DeeJay

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:03 am »

I've gone from a heavy Phase One and Canon environment/workflow and recently moved in part, and increasingly large one at that, to Leica M9. So while I can't comment on the X1 Pro or NEX I can definitely vouch for the revelation it has been moving to the smaller format. It hasn't replaced the P65+ entirely, but for a large portion of work it certainly has. I rarely touch the Canon now.

I look forward to seeing the results from both of these new cameras.

gullevek

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:09 am »

Just a quick thought... I wouldn't write off any camera with an EVF without trying it first.

I have a 5D and f1.4's and a MFT G1 with EVF and the G1's EVF shows much more detail in low light than is visible through the 5D's OVF. The situation is reversed in almost total darkness when the EVF seems to black out completely whilst the OVF at least allows some outline to be seen. In most situations though, at least in town, it's not usually totally dark and the EVF is the easy winner in my experience. Best to therefore try a camera with EVF and see what results are possible rather than assume that OVF is always better.

The EVF has it's advantages, eg in Macro mode. But I really hate the lag, and I haven't tried or used a camera with an EVF that doesn't have a lag. At the moment, nothing can beat an optical viewfinder. That's why I love my X100 so much, it has an optical viewfinder with a smart electronic overlay. Especially the virtual horizon is a big plus for me, I have the tendency to not hold a camera straight.

scooby70

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:37:08 am »

With my MFT there is a lag between the real world and what the camera displays but it's only the smallest fraction of a second. I have no idea what the actual lag time is but it's not significant to me and I'd imagine that it'd only be an issue when photographing the fastest of moving subjects.

If you're using a narrower aperture the EVF is slow and noisy but still easier to see detail with than when using a DSLR with manual lens stopped down to the same aperture or an AF lens whilst using DoF preview. I use a 25mm f0.95 on my G1 so it really is a joy to use in low light and as I said, does show much more detail and allow focusing in much lower light than my 5D+ a f1.4 lens.

PS. There's also the magnified view function which is quite frankly wonderful.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:39:36 am by scooby70 »

JohnAONeill

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »

I've gone from a heavy Phase One and Canon environment/workflow and recently moved in part, and increasingly large one at that, to Leica M9. So while I can't comment on the X1 Pro or NEX I can definitely vouch for the revelation it has been moving to the smaller format. It hasn't replaced the P65+ entirely, but for a large portion of work it certainly has. I rarely touch the Canon now.

I look forward to seeing the results from both of these new cameras.

Unfortunately I jumped in too soon with a Leica M8 and whilst I loved the RF experience and those stunning lenses The resolution let me down for my work. I sold all my Leica kit after this as I could not justify the high cost of a ten meg pix camera. In hindsight I probably should have held on to those lenses :-(

JohnAONeill

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:04:13 pm »

I have read some reports that the fuji has some focussing issues. In particular in low light. Wondering how this will fair out when capturing the decisive moment??

I think what you forget is the lenses that are available. And for street shooting, I think Fuji is better in this case. Furthermore, the Fuji has a optical view finder, which might give it a plus. And then you have to to think, do you really need all the megapixels? Remember the X-Pro 1 does not have an AA filter, this another plus.

The NEX on the other hand, has a focusing help for manual lenses, I couldn't find anything like this on the X-Pro 1, when I checked it. I also do not know if any of those two can do pre-set for a focus distance, like the Ricoh GR digital can. This is something pretty amazing and takes away the focus time. Wished those kind of cameras would have this setting, at the end it is nothing more than a software and putting the focus on a certain distance.

For ISO, on my X100, at f2, I have to use at least ISO3200 at night, to get ok shutter speed, better ISO6400. But the quality is so good, that it is normally no problem at all.

And weight wise I can agree :) Since I have the Fuji X100, I finally have a camera I can take with me everywhere, because it is so light. A canon body + a good lens, just weights too much for every day usage, once you get a bit older.

gullevek

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »

I have read some reports that the fuji has some focussing issues. In particular in low light. Wondering how this will fair out when capturing the decisive moment??

The AF is less the problem, it's more the fact that the X100 takes too long to wake up from sleep. As this is fixed in the X-Pro 1, I see no problem in capturing the decisive moment.

JohnAONeill

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:58:24 am »

The AF is less the problem, it's more the fact that the X100 takes too long to wake up from sleep. As this is fixed in the X-Pro 1, I see no problem in capturing the decisive moment.

That's good to hear. Appreciate your input. May I ask do you own and X-Pro 1 or if not how much use have you had with it?

gullevek

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »

That's good to hear. Appreciate your input. May I ask do you own and X-Pro 1 or if not how much use have you had with it?

I sadly do not own one yet, simply because I bought a X100 at the beginning this year. I really can't buy a similar camera that close again :)

I spent abou an hour at the store, trying various things, I really like everything, except the viewfinder which is worse than the one on the X100.

JohnAONeill

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:53:59 pm »

I sadly do not own one yet, simply because I bought a X100 at the beginning this year. I really can't buy a similar camera that close again :)

I spent abou an hour at the store, trying various things, I really like everything, except the viewfinder which is worse than the one on the X100.
[/

In what way did you find the viewfinder worse? Interested to know any potential issues!

gullevek

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:55 pm »

In what way did you find the viewfinder worse? Interested to know any potential issues!

It is much darker and smaller than the X100 one. I have really no idea why this is though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up