Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 7 Laptop, i1D2 calibration, 2 monitors each in a different location...  (Read 1890 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com

I want to use a laptop for photo editing in two different locations. The laptop would have i1D2 calibration software and hardware, and each location has a good LCD monitor to which I can connect the laptop. If I calibrate each monitor via the laptop the first time I use the respective monitor, will the laptop continue to load the correct calibration for whichever monitor is connected? I'd hate to have to do a calibration each time I switch between the locations/monitors. The monitors are two different brands so there's no confusion about which is which. I know the LUTs created by i1D2 reside in the laptop and but I don't know if the i1D2 software (LUT loader) is smart enough to recognize which monitor is connected and load the correct LUT for it. If anyone has tried this I'd love to know if it works.
- Dean

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: Win 7 Laptop, i1D2 calibration, 2 monitors each in a different location...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »

What O/S are you running on the laptop?  You can load the .icc display profile depending on which device you are using:

Mac | System Preferences | Displays | Color Button |  associate a profile with a display device

Win | Control Panel | Color Management  | associate a profile with display device

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:12:46 am by John.Murray »

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com

Thanks, John.
I don't have this laptop system set up yet because the second monitor hasn't arrived, but I have a Win 7 machine here and I tried what you suggest locally. I'm probably doing something stupid, but when I set different profiles as default in the Win color management nothing happens to the monitor colors regardless of the profile I use. It's as if they aren't being loaded via the control panel settings. The i1D2 profile does load properly on every boot. I just can't get any other profile to load without going through another calibration. I'll try the exact scenario I described when the other monitor is in place - profiling two different monitors and seeing whether the proper calibration is loaded at boot depending on which monitor is connected. It seems like it ought to work, but so does the experiment I already tried.

Thanks again,
Dean
- Dean

John.Murray

• Images by Murray

Although a bit confusing at first glance, the Windows Color Management dialog will let you associate a given device with a profile - the rub here is that the display device must be connected.  Select it from the pulldown, check  Use my settings..., then click the Add button.  A list of profiles in the C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color folder will apear, you can also browse and copy in other profiles as well
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:38:43 pm by John.Murray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up