Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Repair Service  (Read 1845 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Canon Repair Service
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:13:13 pm »

This week I got my Canon 400 f/4 DO IS lens back from the manufacturer for a repair.  I asked them to correct a some grainy noise in the focus ring and to clean and adjust the lens to specifications.  I got it back promptly.  The problem is fixed. Everything seems fine.

What bugs me is that Canon didn't say ANYTHING about what they did.  They billed me $285, and that is fine, but they didn't give me any communications about whether something was out of alignment, or whether they needed to fix anything or what was done to address the noise in the focus ring. I will need to check my in-camera lens adjustment settings to see if anything has changed.  I don't like that they are so uncommunicative about their actions. I am paying a bit of money for service.  I expect some communications. 

They did the same thing when I sent a 50D to them for shutter button repair.  They quoted me a repair price and replaced the main board.  This didn't fix the problem, and I ended up needing to send the camera back two more times.  The problem turned out to be the shutter release button.  After the initial payment for the new main board they made the second and third repairs without additional payment, as they should have.  I asked whether the repair for the shutter would have been less than the repair for the incorrectly diagnosed main board.  They told me all repairs cost the same.  That seemed strange. 

Is this typical of Canon service? Am I the only one who finds their service to be lacking in communication.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

stever

Re: Canon Repair Service
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:20:27 pm »

i agree that it would be nice to receive more detail from Canon  However, in terms of telephone advice, response time, quality of repair, and price i'm pretty satisfied - and from various reviews (including lensrentals.com) and my experience, i'm convinced that they have the best service operation of all camera manufacturers (at least in the U.S.).

futura

• http://www.andrew-chang.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:02 am »

Service like that seems akin to a plumber fixing a problem which is a 5min job and charging for extra labour and parts that were not really required. I've had a similar experience with Canon uk.

John S C

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:37:56 am »

I've had a couple of repairs done by Canon UK . The docket returned with the unit usually states what has been done. Generally it's fairly simple. replaced such and such component. However I had to send my 24-105 off when it stopped focusing. In addition to the request to fix the focus problem I commented that the Zoom was a bit loose could they tighten that up.

On return I saw on the docket
 Focus:
Replaced cable...( details )

Zoom

Applied slightly thicker grease to Zoom mechanism thread. Please inform customer that the Zoom may feel a little stiff for a few days whilst the grease  distributes itself evenly over the threads.

Canon service  UK seem to communicate well with their customers

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:57:41 am »

I've had a couple of repairs done by Canon UK . The docket returned with the unit usually states what has been done. Generally it's fairly simple. replaced such and such component. However I had to send my 24-105 off when it stopped focusing. In addition to the request to fix the focus problem I commented that the Zoom was a bit loose could they tighten that up.

On return I saw on the docket
 Focus:
Replaced cable...( details )

Zoom

Applied slightly thicker grease to Zoom mechanism thread. Please inform customer that the Zoom may feel a little stiff for a few days whilst the grease  distributes itself evenly over the threads.

Canon service  UK seem to communicate well with their customers
That sounds awesome!.  Is that too much to ask?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

Canon US, Jamestown is where I have always sent my camera and lenses.  They won't start the repair until
I approve a email from them that tells me everything that they feel needs to be done to repair the item (when not in warranty)

When under warranty, they generally won't contact me, but they do send a detailed form with the item stating what was
repaired.  If you setup the repair from the web, you can also go in and check on the repair ticket online and once they have
set it up it will also show what needs to be done, and time expected to fix. 

My problem has always been having to re-send the item again since it wasn't fixed right the first time.  With lenses I always have had
to return the lens at least once to get it right.  They seem to fix cameras right the first time.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dseelig

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:31:49 pm »

Call your canon pro reapir rep at whatever repair place you sent it too. They will tell you what they did.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:59 pm »

I don't pay the extra for pro service, and I haven't bothered to add up all my gear for credits towards pro service. I think the last time I added it all up, I was still going to have to pay out of pocket.  Maybe they are deliberately uncommunicative because I haven't paid the extra for people to TALK to me.

gubaguba

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:06 am »

If you ask they will tell you.  I was always impressed with Canon's level of service and communication.  Helps that I live about 30 miles from Jamestown facility.

carl dw

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:44:06 am »

I also commend Canon CPS UK for their communication, repair service and turnaround.

I had a 1Ds3 go belly up after a year with the helpful message "Unable to take photographs" on the screen; they arranged collection the same day and had the camera back to me two days later - the fault was sticky grease on a shutter solenoid.

S**t happens, but 10/10 for sorting it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up