Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP and Epson 3880  (Read 898 times)

douvidl

RIP and Epson 3880
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:16 pm »

I have just converted to Lion and in the process of sorting out what's what, I find there is a significant change in the Epson print driver.  Previously I was able to select the Advance B/W and select the icc profile for the paper I was using... and did not have to change to "printer mgrs color"  from photoshop mgrs color on the first print screen. 
Now if I want ABW, I have to choose the printer mgs colors option, and cannot select an icc profile.  For color, however, I choose the photoshop option and then I can choose the icc profile.  In talking to the Epson people he explained that the ABW is an Epson driver and you can only choose the "class" of paper on the second print screen, which, of course, mimics the Epson stable of papers.  He was surprised about the change.
I miss the icc profile option in ABW.  The quality of the prints is different from what I am used to. And I believe that choice of paper is a critical decision for me and influences the end product.
So, I am considering an RIP.  Can anyone speak to which one is better, and why, and whether there is a secondary mkt for the RIP's.  I understand that the RIP will allow me to choose icc profiles for either color or ABW. 
Thanking you in advance. I've posted this on the printers, ink, paper forum as well
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up