Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP and Epson 3880  (Read 2189 times)

douvidl

RIP and Epson 3880
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »

I have just converted to Lion and in the process of sorting out what's what, I find there is a significant change in the Epson print driver.  Previously I was able to select the Advance B/W and select the icc profile for the paper I was using... and did not have to change to "printer mgrs color"  from photoshop mgrs color on the first print screen. 
Now if I want ABW, I have to choose the printer mgs colors option, and cannot select an icc profile.  For color, however, I choose the photoshop option and then I can choose the icc profile.  In talking to the Epson people he explained that the ABW is an Epson driver and you can only choose the "class" of paper on the second print screen, which, of course, mimics the Epson stable of papers.  He was surprised about the change.
I miss the icc profile option in ABW.  The quality of the prints is different from what I am used to. And I believe that choice of paper is a critical decision for me and influences the end product.
So, I am considering an RIP.  Can anyone speak to which one is better, and why, and whether there is a secondary mkt for the RIP's.  I understand that the RIP will allow me to choose icc profiles for either color or ABW. 
Thanking you in advance.
David

Farmer

Re: RIP and Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »

This topic has been discussed in great length in various posts in these forums, looking at all the little bits and pieces that make it up.

In short, a change in OS X enforces this.  Windows does the same, but doesn't lock you out from overriding it.

The best thing to do is probably search QTR and ABW on these forums for a number of posts about using QTR profiling to effectively allow you to return to the workflow that you desire.  Be aware, of course, that the ABW was never intended to be used in this manner - that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't, but explaining why this fits in with the current OS colour management paradigm.
Phil Brown

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:24 am »

I have put off updating to the latest Epson driver for the reasons that you describe.  I have been very happy using Eric Chan's ABW profiles for printing B&W and am reluctant to make an irrevocable change.  I would suggest that you explore ImageNest 3.5 Beta, a RIP which produces superb quality prints and may allow you to continue with your current workflow.  But as mentioned by the previous poster, the new ABW driver is not intended to be used in this way, so I cannot predict whether the results will be better, worse or the same.  You can try ImageNest for free and find out.

Rob

Gemmtech

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:13:35 am »

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:55:38 pm »

This might help

http://www.bluecubit.com/adv-epson-bw-mode.php

Here is the quote from the ImageNest webpage cited above:

ImageNest RIP and Epson Advanced Black and White Mode: Epson’s advanced black and white mode functions without any ICC color management so any output (printer class) profile should not be applied. Clicking on the "Epson Color Controls" will allow the Advanced Black and White to work properly. Epson’s Advanced black and white mode will not work if "ColorSync" is selected as the ColorSync controls will try to apply an ICC profile which interferes with Epson’s Advanced Black and White mode which is a non-ICC process.

But it is still possible, with the older Epson driver and Snow Leopard, to choose "ImageNest controls color" and "Epson controls color" in the driver menu and to utilize a specific ABW profile.  I don't think that this will work with the latest Epson driver and Lion, however, and might not even be desirable any longer.

BTW, ImageNest seems to be having some problems with the sharpening function not working with all video cards.  They hope to have it resolved completely in the near future, at which time they will release the final version.

Rob
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:58:14 pm by robgo2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up