Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning DVDs on Windows - Problem reading on Mac  (Read 4885 times)

Dinarius

Burning DVDs on Windows - Problem reading on Mac
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:54 am »

I'm using Vista x64 bit.

I've been burning tiff files to DVD for 6 years using Roxio software. Unlike the inbuilt Windows DVD burning software, the Roxio has the option to verify the files after burning, which I like.

I have never, ever had someone come back to me & say he couldn't edit the files after copying them to his HD. A client who uses Mac has just done this.

He says he can't use Image Processor to creat jpegs. He can't make any changes to the files in PS.

Oddly, if I give him a DVD of files burned using the Windows generic software, he has no problem with the files. Only with the Roxio software.

Finally, he has asked me to supply all future DVDs as Read & Write and not just Read. But, files burned to DVD are Read Only by default. Correct?

Given that this is a first in 6 years, any thoughts on where the problem lies?

Thanks.

D.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Burning DVDs on Windows - Problem reading on Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:40:37 am »

This is a common problem, especially with Roxio (and depends on the version of OSx).. It's been so long since I've used Roxio I can only speak in general terms.. but go into where it lets you choose the file system it writes..  look for an option that lets you choose an option that looks like "ISO 9660" and look for UDF ISO/IEC 13346..  UDF stands for universal disk format.. I think.  Like I said it's been a long time.  If you choose ISO 9660 and UDF ISO/IEC 13346 you'll be good to go.  Or any UDF version your machine had available.

Sorry I can't be more exact.. it's been years since I've seen someone with this issue.  Most default to UDF these days.. but Roxio has always been a strange beast.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Under Options/General/Data, I have various CD Recording Options.

Type: I can choose, Track at Once (TAO) Open, or Track at Once (TAO) Closed, or Disk at Once (DAO), Closed.

Mode: I can choose, Mode 1 or Mode 2 XA.

File System: ISO + Joliet (106 character file names), or ISO + Joliet + UDF (106 character file names), or ISO Level 2 (212 character file names)

Then there is the option to choose Write Once or use for more than one recording. It says that if you choose the one recording option, more DVD drives will be able to read the DVD.

The Roxio defaults for all of the above are:

Type: Tract at Once (TAO)

Mode: Mode 1

File System: ISO + Juliet (106 character files names)

Write-Once DVD compatibility: To use the disk for more than one recording.

That's all I can choose. Which options should I be choosing? As I say, the default has worked fine for 6 years.

Based on the above info, what should I use?

Thanks.

D.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:31 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Under Options/General/Data, I have various CD Recording Options.

Type: I can choose, Track at Once (TAO) Open, or Track at Once (TAO) Closed, or Disk at Once (DAO), Closed.

Mode: I can choose, Mode 1 or Mode 2 XA.

File System: ISO + Joliet (106 character file names), or ISO + Joliet + UDF (106 character file names), or ISO Level 2 (212 character file names)

Then there is the option to choose Write Once or use for more than one recording. It says that if you choose the one recording option, more DVD drives will be able to read the DVD.

The Roxio defaults for all of the above are:

Type: Tract at Once (TAO)

Mode: Mode 1

File System: ISO + Juliet (106 character files names)

That's all I can choose. Which options should I be choosing? As I say, the default has worked fine for 6 years.

Based on the above info, what should I use?

Thanks.

D.

The UDF option.  That should do it for you.. if for some reason it doesn't, check Roxio's site for additional UDF style plug-ins.

Like I said, it's been a few years since I've had to deal with this.. so maybe someone more current can correct me if I'm wrong?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:36:22 pm »

I'd turn that off - ie: you want to close the session, preventing any further writes to the disc.

Dinarius

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:42:11 pm »

Thanks guys.

I presume that in choosing your two suggestions (UDF & closing the session) I can leave the other settings at their default settings?

Thanks again.

D.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »

Thanks guys.

I presume that in choosing your two suggestions (UDF & closing the session) I can leave the other settings at their default settings?

Thanks again.

D.
Yes, correct.  Also, know that starting with Vista Windows included a built in DVD burner.. you can do it right from Windows Explorer and it's pretty much fool proof.  Roxio I think disables it.  If you're not using Roxio for other stuff I'd uninstall it.. it's a resource hog and very intrusive.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:48 am »

+2 to the 10th power on Roxio.....

Dinarius

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:32:05 am »

Thanks again for the replies.

The reason I have been using Roxio is that it has the option to Verify after burning. I've never had a dud burn, but nevertheless this is useful.

As far as I can see, the Windows software doesn't have this option.

While I'm on the subject of Windows software.....

If I right click on a folder of TIFFs, I can choose "Send To DVD RW Drive (H).

A dialog then opens allowing me to add a title.

There is also a drop down menu called Show Formatting Options. These are..

1. Live File System, which by default is set to 2.01. But, it says it might not be compatible with Apple computers.

or...

2. Mastered - It says, Readable on all computers and some CD/DVD players. Requires you to write all files at once, and individual files can't be erased afterwards.

I'm guessing I should be using option 2.?

But, like I say, there is no option to verify.

Thanks again.

D.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »

A great little app that will run on XP and newer is CDBurnerXP, even supports burning to BlueRay
http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 04:28:32 pm »

Thanks again for the replies.

The reason I have been using Roxio is that it has the option to Verify after burning. I've never had a dud burn, but nevertheless this is useful.

As far as I can see, the Windows software doesn't have this option.

While I'm on the subject of Windows software.....

If I right click on a folder of TIFFs, I can choose "Send To DVD RW Drive (H).

A dialog then opens allowing me to add a title.

There is also a drop down menu called Show Formatting Options. These are..

1. Live File System, which by default is set to 2.01. But, it says it might not be compatible with Apple computers.

or...

2. Mastered - It says, Readable on all computers and some CD/DVD players. Requires you to write all files at once, and individual files can't be erased afterwards.

I'm guessing I should be using option 2.?

But, like I say, there is no option to verify.

Thanks again.

D.
1.  Windows verifies by default.

2.  Yes.

They made this a lot better in Win7..  using Vista is still fraught with small issues, nothing major for the knowledgeable user, but perhaps frustrating for the casual user.  A program like John mentions is very small compared to Roxio and not nearly as intrusive.  The full Roxio suite takes up something over a gig of disk space and is tied into Windows at so many points, unless you keep up with the latest updates, it could be causing seemingly unrelated issues.  I used to be an avid Roxio user when they were all we had.. then Nero.. but now Win7 handles most of those tasks adequately and without issues.

Dinarius

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 05:06:29 am »

Downloaded and installed CDBurnerXP.

It refuses to recognize the DVD drive. "Cannot continue with the burning process, because no burning device was detected." If you Google this quote and CDBurnerXP, you'll see I'm not alone.

So, I found this link......

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...g-software.htm

.... and noticed Imgburn at the top of the list.

I've just installed it and it recognized the drive immediately.

The interface is clean as a whistle! I like!

There are lots of options - far more than Windows.

Under File System, I can choose from ISO9660 + UDF, ISO9660, ISO + Joliet, ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF, ISO9660 + UDF and UDF.

I'm guessing I should choose ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF to cover all bases? Though the default is ISO9660 + UDF.

Under UDF revision, there are choices from 1.02 to 2.60. I presume 2.60?

Mode is Mode1/2048 or Mode2/Form1/2352. Which one?

Finally, Burn Speed. Automatic Write Speed is the default. Otherwise, it's 1x to 56x. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:37:36 am by Dinarius »
Pages: [1]   Go Up