Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dublin, Belgium, and Amsterdam  (Read 10424 times)

Dan Boersma

Dublin, Belgium, and Amsterdam
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:37 am »

Hi All!

A friend and I are going on a Beer Mecca in late May.

I am an avid photographer as well, and am looking for good photo locations in and around the above.

For Dublin, we're only there a day and a half, so any locations would need to be somewhat near dublin I suspect.

We'll have a car for Belgium and the Netherlands, I will spend about 6 days around there.

If anyone has any 'can't miss' photo stops in and around these areas, I'd love to know. Probably won't be back to this area for quite some time, so I'd like to capture a few nice shots when I am not sampling some of the worlds finest beer.

Cheers!

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Dublin, Belgium, and Amsterdam
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:29:28 pm »

Hi All!

A friend and I are going on a Beer Mecca in late May.

I am an avid photographer as well, and am looking for good photo locations in and around the above.

For Dublin, we're only there a day and a half, so any locations would need to be somewhat near dublin I suspect.

We'll have a car for Belgium and the Netherlands, I will spend about 6 days around there.

If anyone has any 'can't miss' photo stops in and around these areas, I'd love to know. Probably won't be back to this area for quite some time, so I'd like to capture a few nice shots when I am not sampling some of the worlds finest beer.

Cheers!

Just walking around Dublin is nice, plenty of opportunities there. Temple Bar is a must visit (two pics below), as are the University grounds.

Tiny town of Howth just north of Dublin is worth a visit, gorgeous harbor (pic below) and some nice scenery. A local train goes right into the harbor from Dublin center.

If you're in Amsterdam, Old Town (aka Red Light District) is a must-visit place - just be careful where you point the camera as the ladies in the windows will not appreciate it. Jordaan is another good place with nice architecture. The canals themselves are a World Heritage site, and well worth an afternoon walk.

If you don't mind crowds, try to be in Amsterdam on 30 April for Queen's Day - a million or so Dutchmen come to celebrate their queen's birthday (which is in January, go figure); the streets turn into a massive flea market, and the canals are full of party boats (pic).

A car in Amsterdam is not for the faint-hearted, and parking here is officially more expensive than anywhere in the world.

Den Haag has a quite a nice royal palace.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:36:33 pm by feppe »

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:13:29 am »

In Dublin, the outside of the Guinness Brewery is good for a wide vaiety of photographs. In Amsterdam, the red light district and night is not to be missed. Belgium is a wee bit bland but some nice arhitecture in Brugge and decent industrial locations in Zeebrugge.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Dan Boersma

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:46:55 pm »

Thanks for the info!   I think we'll be getting a car for a day when we are in Dublin, so we may be able to wander a bit around Ireland,  any other good spots?

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:51:38 am »

World's finest beer? Your itinerary doesn't include Denmark  :P

(More seriously, I would recommend extreme care in the Amsterdam red light district - not so much with regard to the girls, but more to their "minders" who may not take kindly to photography)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:55:48 am by jeremyrh »

Dan Boersma

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:36 am »

Ha!  i know Denmark, Norway, Sweden have some great beers,  specifically in the Baltic porter style.  For me though,  Belgium is mecca.  After that it's the US,  but I already live here, so...

I will use caution on the red light district...

I am hoping that I can rent the new 24-70 II  for my trip out there...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:51 am »

As a Belgian, I have to support your statements... the US has excellent local beers and is lightyears ahead of Danemark... both being behind Belgium.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Dan Boersma

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:56:01 am »

So, Bernard,  any Belgian 'can't misses'  to recommend?  Beer, photography, or other?

feppe

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:03:30 pm »

Thanks for the info!   I think we'll be getting a car for a day when we are in Dublin, so we may be able to wander a bit around Ireland,  any other good spots?

Glendalough/Dunleary/Wicklow is gorgeous, pics here.

Dunleary harbor.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:43 pm »

Sounds like a great trip. I love beer tourism pretty much anywhere, but yeah, Belgium would be top of the list.

In the meantime, I leave you with this.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jeremyrh

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 04:37:12 am »

As a Belgian, I have to support your statements... the US has excellent local beers and is lightyears ahead of Danemark... both being behind Belgium.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Fighting talk :-)  A better idea - next time you are in Copenhagen, give me a call, and I will be happy to change your mind  ;D

Dan Boersma

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:06 am »

Ok,  now I have to brag......on this list of the best breweries in THE WORLD,  #2  is from my hometown,  and #3  is a short distance from there,  where I went  to university.   Just sayin....

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestbrewers_012012.asp

jeremyrh

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:04 pm »

This is a competition with no losers!!  ;) Hic!!!

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:34 am »

Not photographic comment - but just an appreciation of recent improvements in both American and English beers.

At one time the only "foreign" beers we could get here, none of which even began to compare with traditional Scottish IPA ("Heavy"), was urine like Watneys, Whitbread, Fullers, etc., from England, insipid lagers from Denmark or American "chemical beers" like Bud, Millers, Coors and similar stuff. Nowadays we get much better imported beers from smaller English breweries like Black Sheep and, when in USA, can seek out some excellent "micro-brewery" brews, many of which are in the Scottish IPA style.

For beer drinkers, the world is certainly a better - or at least a more accessible - place than it was 50 years ago.

The only problem in America is that they still serve it in minuscule "pseudo-pints" which contain only 16 fluid ounces, as opposed to the 20 fluid ounces of a "proper" pint.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:39:06 am by PhotoEcosse »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »

So, Bernard,  any Belgian 'can't misses'  to recommend?  Beer, photography, or other?

I would for sure include Brugge high in my list, not just as a place where to visit churches and museums but as a place where to spend one night in a small hotel and walk many hours in the old back streets.

Brussels shouldn't be missed. Make sure to sip a few beers in http://www.lafleurenpapierdore.be/, a cafe once visited by the surrealists writers early 20th century. I would recommend spending at least some time in the Ancient Art museum if paintaings are interesting for you, and the Musee de la bande dessinee should also not be missed (http://www.comicscenter.net/en/home).

If architecture means anything to you, you should not miss visiting some of Victor Horta's buildings, starting with the Victor Horta museum (http://www.hortamuseum.be/main.php?lang=en). If you visit late afternoon, you may want to stay in the area and eat in this place (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Les-Salons-de-LAtala%C3%AFde/32643378760).

Overall, food is of very high quality pretty much anywhere you go but a bit of research can help finding those little gems where the atmosphere contributes to the experience. Just to mention one such place, I wouldn't miss In Het Spinnekopke in central Brussels (http://www.spinnekopke.be/baseAN.html).

Then you have the mandatory classics like Grand Place and surroundings.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:59:20 pm by BernardLanguillier »

feppe

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »

Ok,  now I have to brag......on this list of the best breweries in THE WORLD,  #2  is from my hometown,  and #3  is a short distance from there,  where I went  to university.   Just sayin....

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestbrewers_012012.asp

9 out of 10 in the top 10 in the world are from the US. Really? I mean, really?

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:23 pm »

9 out of 10 in the top 10 in the world are from the US. Really? I mean, really?

Probably because only Yanks are daft enough to vote in web polls!

If they spent more time drinking beer and less time stuck in front of a PC, the world might be a more interesting place.

It's a bit like photography. Every minute spent writing on this Forum is a minute when we should have been out taking photographs.

Bye. Have to go.

Johannes Lietz

• Flickr
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 05:51:29 am »

I would also include Brugges for its wonderful old architecture, dating back to medieval ages.

If you like Dutch windmills, Kinderdijk is a photographers hotspot. But for sure you'll find windmills all over the country, beautifully surrounded by large fields of tulip in springtime.

If you like flower macro photography, maybe the Floriade in Venlo is for you. It is some kind of "world flower exhibition", held every 10 years. Or Keukenhof, another big flower exhibition in NL. You'll find some crazy kind of tulips and other flower bulbs there.

Dan Boersma

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 06:47:19 am »

Thanks all!  Looks like we will hit Galway and the cliffs of Moher.  Getting amped!!!!

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »

Hi Dan

Alas a day and a half will hardly give you time to get to appreciate what Ireland is all about but if it is about one thing above all else it is it's people and I wonder if you may not be better off getting to somewhere where the Irish meet and there study the landscape in the characters you will meet.

Local Show

As for the beer I used to love a pint or two of real ale in the UK but a Guinness in Ireland in good company has no competitors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up