Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: First MFDB  (Read 17308 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Re: First MFDB
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 10:49:19 pm »

The move to medium format I think should be motivated by the camera and the lenses, not the sensor. At least for us that cannot afford the latest and greatest.

Not correct. Obvious if for high ISO, DSLR is superior. Image quality will be higher with also 20MP MFDB sensors (at least Leaf, the P25 I do not know). The camera and way of working will be different.

For low ISO I am amazed at some photos I shot years ago with the ZD, which mind you was not useable in certain conditions due to a fault by Mamiya. Those shots look better to my eye than the sample images from the Nikon D800E, which look DSLR like. Good images from even ZD looks graphic and wonderful image quality of colors and sharpness, when processed right. That does not mean I recommend a ZD, of which many had same problem as I wrote of around 2007. The Aptus 22 on other hand feature exact same sensor from Dalsa but had it correctly implemented and should beat any DSLR in image quality. Pair it with a large format digital lens and it should be nirvana compared to what I mention of the ZD I had years ago. I was even using the Mamiya AF 55-110 and AF 35 in shots that I refer to, which are not known as among sharpest of Mamiya AF lenses...

Attaching a shot from Juwongsan National Park in South Korea (ZD).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:51:00 pm by Anders_HK »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »

For low ISO I am amazed at some photos I shot years ago with the ZD, which mind you was not useable in certain conditions due to a fault by Mamiya. Those shots look better to my eye than the sample images from the Nikon D800E, which look DSLR like. Good images from even ZD looks graphic and wonderful image quality of colors and sharpness, when processed right.

Anders,

Have you worked extensively with any recent DSLR besides a 5DII?

Having owned both the ZD and the D3x, my experience differs from yours. Significantly. And that is a 3 years old DSLR technology.

Cheers,
Bernard

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 11:13:56 pm »

Anders,

Have you worked extensively with any recent DSLR besides a 5DII?

Having owned both the ZD and the D3x, my experience differs from yours. Significantly. And that is a 3 years old technology.

Cheers,
Bernard

@ Bernard, our experience differs. I frank have not been able to see that D3X or 5DII are as good as you believe, although I have seen images from them. To answer your question, no I do not work with DSLR because image quality at low ISO is inferior and I do not like to work with DSLRs because I do not like the controls and being encouraged to take quick shots. That does NOT mean that others do not find them good tools, which they do...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up