Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon coolscan 9000 with mac pro 2.93 quad  (Read 6147 times)

dseelig

Nikon coolscan 9000 with mac pro 2.93 quad
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:45:57 pm »

Nikon coolscan 9000 with mac pro 2.93 quad  I have not been able to get this to work with nikon coolscan I am running 10.6.3 this worked with the 2.66 mac pro intel but not with this 2.93 mac pro any help the software just quits.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Nikon coolscan 9000 with mac pro 2.93 quad
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:30 pm »

What software are you trying to use it with? It could be that your software doesn't have the necessary driver specs.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dseelig

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:22 pm »

I am using nikon software like i said it worked with dual core 2.66 mac pro but not with the 2.93 quad core it just crashes. anyone using the 9000 with the 2.93 quad core ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »

When you had the 2.66 dual core computer what version of OSX were you using, and which version of OSX are you using now? 32-bit then, 64-bit now? Depending on the answer to those questions the source of the problem may be clarified. Nikon stopped upgrading software and drivers for those scanner models since they stopped producing them. Not sure of the exact dates, but bear with me - we may be getting to clarity.

dseelig

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:41:27 am »

10.6.3 worked with nikon software with the 2.66 not with the 2.93. anyone using 2.93 with coolscan software?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:40:56 am »

To answer your specific question NO - I have not had that experience. But I am trying to help you get to the bottom of yours. If you don't want that help and you just want to repeat the same question over and over again (notice the response rate you've been getting) of course it's (partly) a free world. I suspect this is not how you discuss your medical problems with your doctor.

OK, in my last post I failed to recall you have been on Mac 10.6.3, so scratch that question. BUT - still not clear - when you moved to the quad core, did you stay on 10.6.3. or did you up-grade the OSX flavour as well? Specifically, did you move from a 32-bit to a 64-bit computing environment? The reason I'm raising this is that your scanner drivers may not be suitable for your current computer configuration. If that's the case, you may need to switch from Coolscan to another application. Both SilverFast Ai Studio and Vuescan provide up-to-date drivers for this scanner. Perhaps you should download demo versions of either of those applications and see whether they drive the scanner and allow you to make scans without crashing. That way you'll know by inference whether you have a driver problem with your current configuration, as well as a solution.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:42:29 am by Mark D Segal »

dseelig

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:32:33 pm »

I did not mean to talk badly with anyone. I did not feel like anyone was getting what i was saying. Over forums meanings and nuances are lost very easily in saying anything. I will look into the 32 bit setup. Any other thoughts suggestions are appreciated. David

SeanPerry

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »

hi..

Perhaps overtly simple but I have found going into the user pref Library and trashing the Nikon prefs will sometimes do the trick. You will of course need to re-establish your pref settings after.

Another small thing is the updater to the Nikon software - 4.0.2 I believe.

Hope that is helpful, good luck to you sir..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:19:06 pm by SeanPerry »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 02:28:08 pm »

hi..

Perhaps overtly simple but I have found going into the user pref Library and trashing the Nikon prefs will sometimes do the trick. You will of course need to re-establish your pref settings after.

Another small thing is the updater to the Nikon software - 4.0.2 I believe.

Hope that is helpful, good luck to you sir..

Sean, no harm trying stuff, but I don't expect it will work. That up-date is from 2004. It supports Mac System 9 and System 10 up to 4.11. It does not even support 10.5, therefore hardly likely it will work with 10.6.x.

Copy-Pasted from the Nikon website, here is the relevant information:

<<Can I use my Nikon Scanner with Windows 7, Leopard, Snow Leopard, or a 64-bit operating system?

The use of Nikon Scan software with Windows 7 (any version), or Mac OS 10.5.x or later,  or any 64- bit operating system (including 64-bit, 32-bit or Compatibility mode) is not supported. We suggest trying a third party software option such as Vuescan from Hamrick.com or Silverfast software.>>

dseelig

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:37:52 pm »

Hi Everyone the scanner does work on my imac but I like to bea ble to elave my coolscan 5000 then for running batch slides and  the 9000 for running black and white negs. I have heard that the vue scan is better in black and white negs then silverfast . I cannot afford silverfast at all, right now and quite frankly I like nokons software for color better then silverfast. It seems more faithful tome then silverfast to the original scan. I do know that nikin says it deos not work but I ahve seen different . How do you make sure the os is on 32 bit? Thanks Everyone David

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »

Hi Everyone the scanner does work on my imac but I like to bea ble to elave my coolscan 5000 then for running batch slides and  the 9000 for running black and white negs. I have heard that the vue scan is better in black and white negs then silverfast . I cannot afford silverfast at all, right now and quite frankly I like nokons software for color better then silverfast. It seems more faithful tome then silverfast to the original scan. I do know that nikin says it deos not work but I ahve seen different . How do you make sure the os is on 32 bit? Thanks Everyone David

To make sure the application is running in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit Mac using Snow Leopard, highlight the program (NikonScan) icon. Press CMD-I (get info). Turn on "Open in 32-bit Mode". Not sure whether this works in your set-up but have a look.

SilverFast and Vuescan will both give you neutral grayscale scans from B&W negatives.

Colour management in SilverFast 8 is very well implemented and provided you operate in a properly colour-managed set-up, SilverFast will provide consistent hue and tone between monitor, scan preview and the scan exported to an external editor such as Photoshop. You wouldn't know how *SilverFast 8* handles colour compared with NikonScan unless you've tested both under controlled conditions and it would appear you haven't. It is true that SilverFast 8 for the Nikon 5000/9000 range isn't cheap, so if you aren't in for that level of expenditure the alternatives are to keep trying workarounds for NikonScan, or buy Vuescan.

SeanPerry

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »

hi Mark..

I believe that is the last update Nikon did (4.0.2).. Is there anything you have seen after?

I have been using on Snow Leopard, I like the Nikon software and have been wiling to deal with the quirkiness.

Occasionally all kinds of voodoo will manifest, including the software launching but no scan window present, launching then quitting etc. It's silly I know, but I have tracked it back to corrupted prefs on most occasions. I'm using multiple 9000's across different machines on 10.6.x {usually 10.6.8}

Have never had it not work, just some take more kicking than others. Of course milage varies..

all best --
sean

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 03:20:42 pm »

hi Mark..

I believe that is the last update Nikon did (4.0.2).. Is there anything you have seen after?

I have been using on Snow Leopard, I like the Nikon software and have been wiling to deal with the quirkiness.

Occasionally all kinds of voodoo will manifest, including the software launching but no scan window present, launching then quitting etc. It's silly I know, but I have tracked it back to corrupted prefs on most occasions. I'm using multiple 9000's across different machines on 10.6.x {usually 10.6.8}

Have never had it not work, just some take more kicking than others. Of course milage varies..

all best --
sean

Hi Sean - nope - I looked - nothing after what I reported above. I'm also on SL 10.6.8. Yes indeed - mileage does vary. I go for painless, so I use SilverFast 8 because it works reliably and can do anything NikonScan can do plus a whole lot more - properly supporting the Nikon scanners to start with. Scanning is time-consuming enough without the kicking, so at least I save myself that much. :-)

dseelig

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »

I am trying to use it with the nikon 4.02 David

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »

I have a Nikon Coolscan 9000 and a MacPro 2.8 Quad-core running OS X 10.6.8. I am using Vuescan because the supplied Nikon Scan software does not run in a 64-bit environment, nor does it run with OS X 10.6 or later (this is stated on the Nikon website).

Up until couple of years ago I was using the Nikon Scan software on an old laptop running Windows XP before I switched to a Mac, and in my opinion the Nikon Scan software really is inferior to the current offerings from VueScan or Silverfast. Nikon hasn't updated this software in many years and maybe it's time to give the other products a try.
Jay W Page

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 01:14:11 pm »

Correct, and Nikon will never up-date CoolScan because they have vacated that market segment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up