Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aliasing Artifacts  (Read 2190 times)

marcmccalmont

Aliasing Artifacts
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:13:58 am »

With all the discussions on AA filters what aliasing artifacts are there other than moire? can someone post a few clear examples? I was under the impression (misunderstanding?) that moire was caused because you could sample a repeating pattern with a sensor that has a repeating pattern at greater than the Nyquist frequency. But all the talk about the D800E got me to thinking in landscape photography pictures of trees, foliage etc. without a pattern would there be false information present?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Aliasing Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:01 am »

With all the discussions on AA filters what aliasing artifacts are there other than moire? can someone post a few clear examples? I was under the impression (misunderstanding?) that moire was caused because you could sample a repeating pattern with a sensor that has a repeating pattern at greater than the Nyquist frequency. But all the talk about the D800E got me to thinking in landscape photography pictures of trees, foliage etc. without a pattern would there be false information present?

Hi Marc,

Any detail that is smalller than 2 sensels will aliase when sampled with a regular grid without proper low-pass filtering. The artifacts are most pronounced when sampling regular repetitive structures, because that produces moiré and that is often a structure that we humans can see easily because the human visual system (HVS) tends to look for patterns (which reduces the visual information to manageable amounts to process in time). Anything that deviates from our expectations raises a red flag (fight or flight instinct gets alerted).

Sharp edges also have detail that's too small for our sensors to resolve reliably(!). In digital signal processing (DSP) circles is is common to interpret sharp edges as a combination (an addition) of Sine or Cosine wave patterns of various frequencies and it requires also extremely fine (high frequency) waves to approximate those sharp edges. It would also require extremely dense sampling to be able and achieve that in an image.

If the sampling density is not high enough, then e.g. edge signal will snap to the nearest sensel, and not to the neighboring sensel, thus causing jaggies, stairstepped edges instead of smooth anti-aliased edges which are closer to the true representation of the scene. So if branches, or powerlines, or roofedges, or text, or other high contrast edges and lines are not resolvable, not sampled with a dense enough sampling grid, then blocking, stairstepping artifacts wil become visible, especially noticeable when enlarging to well within the human visual acuity (or Vernier acuity which is much higher than 20/20 vision). Sharpening will only make the artifacts stand out more.

To worsen the potential problem, our Bayer CFAs sample Green at a higher density than Red and Blue. Therefore Red and Blue will aliase more than Green does and that creates a problem for the Demosaicing, and can result in False Color artifacts. That are colorful pixels especially noticeable on high contrast edges (e.g. dark branches or treetrunks or powerlines against a light background of white clouds).

Software can only reduce the false color artifacts a bit (e.g. by desaturating edges), but it cannot decide what is real detail and what is stairstepping, without human intervention (blurring at the Raw level). And blurring will not solve all issues, because aliases are larger representations or the real detail, sometimes much larger. These larger representations of very fine detail cannot be separated from the larger real detail, there is not enough information left to do that reliably. The only solution to prevent aliasing is a low-pass filtering of the signal before it is sampled.

So, in the absence of proper low-pass filtering, stairstepping and blocking, and false color artifacts (most noticeable on high contast edges and lines), are the things to look out for when there are no repetitive stuctures to cause moiré.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:12:30 am »

Hi,

A lot of false information, but how tell apart false information from correct information? I recently compared some test shots from Leica M9 to Sony NEX7 and there was a horrible amount of aliasing, but it would not be very visible on normal subjects.

My guess is that main differences are:

1) You will see occasional moiré and christmas tree effects

2) Lines and hairs may be jagged and/or discontinous

3) The image will be more brittle regarding sharpening

4) You may see fake detail, like fine details in the fetahers of a distant bird. The lens resolves some high frequency detail but the sensor does not. So the high frequency detail is folded back as low frequency detail.

Best regards
Erik

Marc
Erik Kaffehr

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:14:49 pm »

Thanks Guys
Marc
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

Hi Marc,

I'd say that the Nikon D800E would not have any problems you don't have with your P45+ and your IQ180.

Other than that I would recommend Lloyd Chamber's Leica site http://www.diglloyd.com/index-leica-chrono.html . Lloyd has many samples.

I have seen significant Moiré and artifacts on my Sony Alpha 55 SLT although it has some OLP filtering, but I would have difficulty digging up samples.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Guys
Marc
Erik Kaffehr

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:13:33 pm »

It could just be me but my eye is insensitive to these artifacts (probably conditioning) and I prefer the sharper edges of a non AA filtered sensor making subjects pop more
Marc

PS I'm hoping Canon has some competition for the D800E but I won't hold my breath
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:15:47 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:43:58 am »

Hi,

Two observations:

1) I have seen aliasing on my Sony Alpha 55 but not on any of the other Alphas I have. It may be possible that it is because I can focus better with live view. MTF plots between different Alphas seems to be very similar, so the problem may come because of better focusing.

2) It's hard to know the effect of AA-filtering. For one thing it seems that stopping down to f/11 will often reduce moiré significantly. On the other hand, even AA-filtered cameras will loose resolution when stopping down. We essentially have a few Hotrod converted DSLRs with OLP filter partially removed and M9, Phase One images to compare. There are very few real comparison shoots and none using the same lens. Also, an OLP filtered image needs more sharpening, that is a part of the equation. OLP filtered images will also hold up better to sharpening.

Enclosed is a test shoot I made at f/5.6 and f/11 on Alpha 55. Notice that there is some Moiré on the f/5.6 image. The image is processed in Lightroom.

Another issue may be that the OLP filter normally consists of two layers of birefringent material (niobium dioxide), so there are two layers of optical materials that may reduce contrast somewhat due to surface reflection.

Best regards
Erik

It could just be me but my eye is insensitive to these artifacts (probably conditioning) and I prefer the sharper edges of a non AA filtered sensor making subjects pop more
Marc

PS I'm hoping Canon has some competition for the D800E but I won't hold my breath
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:49:00 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up