Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7890 vs. 7900  (Read 12195 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Epson 7890 vs. 7900
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

If I'm correctly informed, the 7890 just lacks two colors (green and orange) against the 7900 and is same technology in the rest.
What I was told and found on the net so far is, that the 7900s bigger gamut only becomes important in proofing situations to get
better Pantone covering and in rare images with high saturations in these colors.

So - how would you people here with good printing experience judge the rendering of colors between the both in
- Landscapes
- Portrait
situations?

In Germany there is currently a cashback action running and I could get a 7890 for 2100.- Euros, the 7900 for 3100.-.

My current idea is to get the 7890 and forget about the gamut advantage of the 7900.

Is there anything more to consider?
What do you think ?

Thanks for your time and help.
~Chris

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 7890 vs. 7900
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:58:09 pm »

Hi Chris,

There's been an informative thread on this question here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=47322.20

Cheers,

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:31:14 pm »

Hi Mark,

I have read the thread you mentioned and it was one of the sources which convinced me not to go for the 7900.
But the last post in that thread is more than a year old, and so I thought I'd ask again - maybe someone has new info.

Cheers
~Chris

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »

I should have known you read it, but wasn't sure  :-).

Always good to revisit such questions in light of any new data during the time lapse. I haven't personally used either model so I can't offer first-hand comparative advice; but I have made direct comparison of output from my old 3800 and new 4900 (same technology as the 7900), and I have to tell you, any differences need to be looked for and are very subtle. Epson has reached a point of maturity with high-end printer technology that image quality improvements from one model to the next are really marginal at this stage, so for a thousand difference in price you'd be looking out for performance differences other than image quality to justify the higher price unit.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:04:40 pm »

Thanks !
It seems I'll go out tomorrow to my favourite shop here in Hamburg and get my printer.
My first printer.
Finally!
Now the journey begins - I really got a bit bored from web publishing.
Many of my images will see the light as print for the first time soon.
[walks away drooling ...]

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »

All I can say is that my 9890 has been totally problem and clogg free from day one.

john

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:36:54 pm »

Thanks !
It seems I'll go out tomorrow to my favourite shop here in Hamburg and get my printer.
My first printer.
Finally!
Now the journey begins - I really got a bit bored from web publishing.
Many of my images will see the light as print for the first time soon.
[walks away drooling ...]

Chris, if you are just now getting into printing, I highly recommend that you buy Michael and Jeff's From Camera to Print video tutorial. It will really help and the best value for content on the internet.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:49:53 am »

Chris, if you are just now getting into printing, I highly recommend that you buy Michael and Jeff's From Camera to Print video tutorial. It will really help and the best value for content on the internet.

Its on the list.
A friend of mine has the old version and I saw it at his house, but I'll buy the new one for myself.
 :)

And thanks to the others for writing up your experience. I feel much safer now with my decision for the 7890.

Cheers
~Chris
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:43:48 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:33:53 am »

All I can say is that my 9890 has been totally problem and clogg free from day one.

Ditto.

Gemmtech

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »

Has anybody done a side by side with about 10 different types of prints using both the Epson 7900 and 7890? Or similar.

Garry

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »

I think what David wrote pretty much shows the practical relevance or non-relevance of these additional inks. This is congruent with the statements in the other thread Mark mentioned. It is also congruent with what I heared of every dealer I was contacting the last days. So - I personally believe I can omit these 2 additional inks, but of course - a real side by side test can't be replaced by anything else.

Today I was confronted with a statement by a guy in a print shop who is using Canon Printers with the Lucia inks. He said, he has tried to use Epson, but was disappointed because of the rendering of red tones. He stated, Canon was better here, bacause they use CMYK and RGB colors. I have never heared that before and can't really judge due to my lack of experience. But what I know is, that he is very experienced and has been printing successfully for high level professionals and companies for many years. He said he tried but always came back to Canon. His example was, that a red tomato printed with a Canon printer could not be matched by a red tomato coming out of an Epson. I don't know, if this experience of his now is outdated with the Epson K3 inks or if it still may be an issue.
Would be great if some of the more experienced people here could tell about this issue or non-issue.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »

Red was a big issue with the first crop of HP Z3100s. I've never heard of this for Canon or Epson printers. I did profile a Canon 6300 (i.e. very recent vintage) and compared that against my 4900 using the Atkinson/Outback printer test page. The differences are trivial to the extent of irrelevance.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:42:54 pm »

Red was a big issue with the first crop of HP Z3100s. I've never heard of this for Canon or Epson printers. I did profile a Canon 6300 (i.e. very recent vintage) and compared that against my 4900 using the Atkinson/Outback printer test page. The differences are trivial to the extent of irrelevance.

I really don't know what he did with that tomato ...
Maybe he's a bit outdated here, though running a great shop.
Seems its going to be the 7890 then.

Now, that I have decided for a printer - how releveant is profiling oneself?
I heared contradicting opinions - one guy told me, I would buy a colorimeter for profiling within 6 weeks, another said I should not waste money on that and let experienced people do the profiling for me and maybe in rare cases loan a profiling kit over a weekend. All of the dealers offer to make profiles for me if I buy the printer and/or paper at their shop.

Ideas ?

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »

The Canon 6300 and the Epson 4900 have 12 and 11 inks respectively, so I'm not surprised at those results. The OP is considering the 7890, with less ink positions, which will probably clip certain saturated colors in some prints.  
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »

The Canon 6300 and the Epson 4900 have 12 and 11 inks respectively, so I'm not surprised at those results. The OP is considering the 7890, with less ink positions, which will probably clip certain saturated colors in some prints.  

Is this conjecture, or you know the contribution of green and orange to the formation of red in the firmware algorithms? I have also compared reds from a 3800 and a 4900 - anyone would have a REAL hard time in a blind test. Reality has a nasty way of intruding on concepts.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:02:56 pm »

Is this conjecture, or you know the contribution of green and orange to the formation of red in the firmware algorithms? I have also compared reds from a 3800 and a 4900 - anyone would have a REAL hard time in a blind test. Reality has a nasty way of intruding on concepts.

Conjecture.... which is why I used the word "probably". Then you have to ask yourself, why Epson and Canon would offer those extra ink channels? Either they extend the gamut, they are selling moonshine, or it adds to better output in other ways.

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »

I really don't know what he did with that tomato ...
Maybe he's a bit outdated here, though running a great shop.
Seems its going to be the 7890 then.

Now, that I have decided for a printer - how releveant is profiling oneself?
I heared contradicting opinions - one guy told me, I would buy a colorimeter for profiling within 6 weeks, another said I should not waste money on that and let experienced people do the profiling for me and maybe in rare cases loan a profiling kit over a weekend. All of the dealers offer to make profiles for me if I buy the printer and/or paper at their shop.

Ideas ?

Nah - its the tomato - sorry, in the Atkinson/Outback test page its strawberries - the nicest, reddest strawberries I've ever seen. So some printers obviously do better with tomatoes than others, whereas strawberries are all the printers' best friends :-)

OK, back to serious - profiling -

A number of approaches:

(1) If you are using Epson papers, start with Epson AMERICA's own profiles. They are very good, and these printers have a very high degree of inter unit consistency.
(2) If the shop is offering free profiles for a number of papers you'd like to try, let them do it and test them in your printer. So far all is free.
(3) Next you get to pay - if you are not satisfied with (1) or (2), once you've nailed the paper or several papers you are likely to use most, get them custom-profiled. Much less expensive than (4)-
(4) Buying your own profiling kit - minimum requirement: a very good spectrophotometer and the software.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »

Conjecture.... which is why I used the word "probably". Then you have to ask yourself, why Epson and Canon would offer those extra ink channels? Either they extend the gamut, they are selling moonshine, or it adds to better output in other ways.

The gamut volume of a 4900 is larger than that of a 3800 (the former with orange and green, the latter without) - of course as measured through their respective profiles for the same paper. I covered that in my review of the 4900 on this website http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/the_epson_4900_printer_hands_on_and_down_to_work.shtml. The question is how much of this difference actually shows in real photographs of real subjects. It would depend very much on the image. For a great many images it would range from just noticeable to trivial, and then only in side by side comparisons. For some kinds of images it may be more substantial.

Farmer

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »

It's not just gamut volume, it's also how colours within that volume are rendered.  Somewhat obviously, an orange ink is useful in things like sunsets, because you have orange ink to use - call it a dark yellow in a way, it means you don't need to use yellow-and-something-else to create an orange - you start with orange.  This is most clear in smooth gradations of such colour ranges.

Whether it affects any particular image you'd have to test, and whether it affects a signficant number of images from a given photog, again you'd have to test.  But there's certainly more to it than just numerical gamut volumes and in particular more to it than just gamut volume boundaries.
Phil Brown

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 04:30:08 pm »

It's not just gamut volume, it's also how colours within that volume are rendered.  Somewhat obviously, an orange ink is useful in things like sunsets, because you have orange ink to use - call it a dark yellow in a way, it means you don't need to use yellow-and-something-else to create an orange - you start with orange.  This is most clear in smooth gradations of such colour ranges.

Whether it affects any particular image you'd have to test, and whether it affects a signficant number of images from a given photog, again you'd have to test.  But there's certainly more to it than just numerical gamut volumes and in particular more to it than just gamut volume boundaries.

Thats exactly what this printshop guy was talking of.
But it appears that its a minor issue or non-issue for everyone I asked, at least with the modern printers available.
So - I think I have no other way than just start with my decision.
For the beginning I have to learn a lot anyways and think that 7890 will be good enough for me for quite a while.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up