Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Print 9 dither pattern visible  (Read 2024 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Image Print 9 dither pattern visible
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:10 pm »

I'm not sure if the previous image print versions did this or not, but I downloaded the demo of version 9 last night and noticed that there is no way to set a higher resolution than 1440 on the epson printer I have (4800). When I print from the epson driver at 2880 I can't see the dither pattern while at 1440 in Image print I can clearly see it in areas such as darker clouds. Is there a way to fix this ? I really like the software and wanted to purchase it for it's profiles, but seeing the diffusion/dither pattern is not a good thing.

PS: I have used image print 7 with a 9800 in matte mode for a couple of years and I don't recall seeing this. I assume that has to do with the matte papers and the images I was printing (scanned LF film vs 100iso 40MP raw files)

SpiritShooter

Re: Image Print 9 dither pattern visible
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »

From the IP9 Users Guide:

Most ImagePrint profiles are done for 1440 (Photo) droplet sizes so often only 1440
Quality settings will be listed. This is because this mode typically has the advantage of variable size--the size of the ink droplets can vary througout the print. While smaller in size, the 2880 (Best) mode is a fixed droplet size which reduces some of the advantage a variable droplet can add in producing a smooth screen (dither) pattern.

For most papers (excluding very high gloss papers) most users find no benefit in using the finer, fixed droplet sizes and prefer the significantly faster 1440 variable droplets. This is especially true on papers with a high dot spread such as rag and other matte papers.

If you download a number of matt and glossy paper profiles, you should see the ability to select 2880 dpi, but this depends on the paper as stated above.

ippolitois

Re: Image Print 9 dither pattern visible
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:03:11 pm »

I'm not sure if the previous image print versions did this or not, but I downloaded the demo of version 9 last night and noticed that there is no way to set a higher resolution than 1440 on the epson printer I have (4800). When I print from the epson driver at 2880 I can't see the dither pattern while at 1440 in Image print I can clearly see it in areas such as darker clouds. Is there a way to fix this ? I really like the software and wanted to purchase it for it's profiles, but seeing the diffusion/dither pattern is not a good thing.

PS: I have used image print 7 with a 9800 in matte mode for a couple of years and I don't recall seeing this. I assume that has to do with the matte papers and the images I was printing (scanned LF film vs 100iso 40MP raw files)

Try using 1440 8 pass. That will solve most issues, even on glossy paper.  Also, you might want to perform an alignment and see if that helps.

Let us know if that helps.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up